Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.2] (Almost) No wild animals in sight  (Read 3201 times)

Daevin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[0.40.2] (Almost) No wild animals in sight
« on: July 14, 2014, 08:12:18 am »

Don't know if it's a new bug or some feature of being in serene lands, but since the beginning there have ever only been two wild animals at my fortress, a raven and an owl, both of which caused some weird combat logs shortly after embark that sounded like they crashed into something. It's the middle of the second year now, and my hunter is getting bored, as he can't even hunt those two birds, because they seem to be stuck in the middle of the thin air, several z-levels above the ground, severely wounded and haven't moved from those spots in months.

The cavern I pierced (only about 10 z-levels below the surface, another oddity?) almost a year ago only had a single pond grabber in sight so far, who also never moved. It was uninjured though until some forgotten beast appeared underground, slaughtered it and then vanished shortly after.

Had an elven caravan and a kobold thief come visit my fort, so it's accessible.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.2] (Almost) No wild animals in sight
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:38 am »

Birds are bugged at the moment.
They will fly into your embark site and, as you said, just hang out in midair, which prevents any other animals from spawning.
If you get lucky they will come crashing down eventually and die in the process, but that is not guaranteed. I've had one fort with a flock of ravens being up there for over 4 years.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:04 am »

More creatures can't arrive until the old ones leave the map, which apparantly they can't do under their own power. Build a staircase into the sky and see if one of your dwarves can kill the ones that are stuck.

Daevin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:17 am »

So, they came here only to fly into a imaginary wall and get stuck there...

Yeah, I'll try building up to end their misery. Thanks.

Daevin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:55:00 am »

Just wanted to add: It kind of worked, in a really weird way:
Just building the first layer of stairs below them had them suddenly fleeing in terror, and right after the raven vanished, a flock of ten ravens appeared, who don't seem stuck - my hunter won't get to work though... even appointed two more and made them crossbows and bolts...

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:28 am »

you don't have to build anything. set up a squad, and move them to near where the birds are on the side you want them to move *away* from. I herded an unkindness of ravens off my map this way.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:06:40 pm »

Tranquil and serene areas aren't known for having a large amount of wildlife but that isn't the cause of the problem you had. When a group of creatures shows up on the map, which in the case of tranquil embarks often means a single small animal, they fill a slot for the allowable number of packs of creatures in the area. If all the animal slots are filled, it will prevent any new creatures from showing up. In your case all of the slots were filled by a couple of buggy birds.

To get new animals all you need to do is kill or scare away a group of the current ones from your map. In your case, since they were buggy birds, this made it impossible for your hunters to get rid of them naturally and bunged up the whole system.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:56:31 pm »

Someone else suggested to just remove their [FLIER] tag, and it works really well. Once you restart the game they come crashing down. And new ones will stick to the ground.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:17:19 pm »

Yeah I just removed every mention of [FLIER] from the creature raws.