Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shosá Smigesana - Or: How Dwarf Fortress Nearly Brought Me to Tears  (Read 5602 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was digging through legends mode artifacts earlier when I found an interesting book: A pink tourmaline-bound, 125-page biography called "And They Sang 'Lusko Chaineddefense!'," authored by "Shosá Smigesana" (Shosá Peachloved). I decided to find out who this guy was and why he wrote a book like that and it was... Sad.

To start, Shosá was born in the year 2, the eldest son of Kara Anvilhare and Othdo Perplexedstood. Kara and Othdo had a daughter and another son, as well. He had a very rough start to his life as both his father and his younger brother were killed in the year 4 by, curiously enough, two separate ettins. In the year 8, Shosá himself was confronted by a minotaur but escaped unscathed. His mother packed up, took Shosá and his sister, and started shifting between different settlements over the course of a decade: Stormsilvers in 9, Iceseizure in 11.

Both Shosá and his mother worked as rangers in Iceseizure. In 16, his mother was attacked by a rampaging brush titan and was struck down. Shosá decided to move again in 19, going to a hamlet called Tulipsteels. It was there that he met Lusko Chaineddefense and married her in 22.

(Lusko was a minor figure in the world, relatively: she was one of the first humans and spent some time wandering the wilds before founding Stormsilvers with her group, which Shosá had lived in for a short while. She even helped form the position of lord and ruled Stormsilvers herself for some time.)

Over the course of the next few years, they had six children:

• Obin Moistenharvests; eldest daughter; b. 23
  • Innu Shocktoe; second eldest daughter; b. 24
  • Nedun Wringcalled; only son; b. 25
  • Ceru Trenchdrank; third eldest daughter; b. 26
  • Tikbo Rhymedlabored; fourth eldest daughter; b. 27
  • Speski Twoshadow; fifth eldest daughter; b. 29

However, things were about to go terribly wrong for Shosá. In the year 29, a bronze colossus by the name of Ipa Silveryprides attacked Stormsilvers. Ipa's rampage cost Shosá dearly: In the attack, his wife was killed, along with Obin, Nedun, Tikbo, and Speski. Obin was the oldest, at six years old, and Speski hadn't even reached her first birthday yet. With over half his family dead, he moves to a hamlet called Amusehammer in 31 and becomes a farmer in 32. He immediately abandons his job and forms a bandit group called "The Branded Seasons," which sees nobody but himself join it. He moves yet again to a hamlet called Bottlebunny in 33.

In the year 35, he became obsessed with his own mortality, just six years after his wife and four of his children were murdered by the colossus Ipa. In 36, he became an apprentice of a dwarven necromancer called Atis Greatertrades, who taught him the secrets of life and death. He moves to the tower Lastdents in 36 and took his own apprentice in the same year: a dwarf woman by the name of Stodir Scarletguild. Afterwards, he wrote "And They Sang 'Lusko Chaineddefense!'" in the year 53. The writing - his only memorial to Lusko - is described as "reasonably serious."

At one point, Stodir led her own group, "The Mechanisms of Gravel," pillaging and murdering. She was actually very successful, winning many battles, even though she could only have claimed to have killed six unimportant humans in her life. They had multiple clashes with "the Messianic League" over the course of a couple of years, which was a group serving under a human civilization called "the Dented Empire." Many such battles were fought in a region called the Aqua Steppes, at no particular site. In the year 80, the Mechanisms of Gravel and the Messianic League went at it yet again: Stodir was leading the Mechanisms of Gravel and the defenders were led by a human called Emung Riddlednoble. The secrets of life and death proved insufficient and Stodir was struck down by Emung. 174 years later, in a terribly ironic twist, Stodir's corpse was raised by another dwarven necromancer called Ustuth Rampartmoisten, totally unrelated to Stodir, Shosá, the Mechanisms of Gravel, or anybody in Lastdents.

The last person of note in Shosá's trauamtic life is Tokda Dancefortunes, a human woman born in 64. In 137 she murdered an elf, in 138 she became a lady, and in 141 she became obsessed with her own mortality and pursed the secrets of life and death - like many before her. She became an apprentice of Shosá in 148, learning the secrets of life and death. She gave birth to ten children - all of whom died centuries ago.

And that is the end of Shosá's tale. Innu (his second eldest daughter) passed of old age in 104 and Ceru (third eldest) was claimed by age in 114, neither of them having done anything notable aside from marrying. Tokda is still alive (surprisingly) and continues to reside in Lastdents. Shosá's master still lives as well. Shosá himself continues to sit in his tower, four centuries after his last children died, writing many books on many topics, but none of them mentioning Lusko Chaineddefense a second time.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Shosá Smigesana - Or: How Dwarf Fortress Nearly Brought Me to Tears
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:25:36 am »

*applauds the dwarf fortress world generator*

And to you too, Jacob/Lee, for summarising it so coherently.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:29:14 pm »

That's an unusually well-written bio. You've activated the world!
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:28 pm »

Very nice story.

knaveightt

• Bay Watcher
  • "Safe Gambler"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:06 pm »

Really fantastic  :o

Like, wow...!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »

Oh my. That's beautiful. I always wonder about the necromancer's stories.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:42:39 pm »

That was beautiful. Stories like this are one of the many things I love about DF
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »

Did you use any tools for parsing the XML dump or was that all just reading the legends mode?  Just curious.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »

Did you use any tools for parsing the XML dump or was that all just reading the legends mode?  Just curious.
Just reading legends mode.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:56:25 pm »

Very nice tale. It will be more interesting of course when necromancers are not the only people writing books and making notable works of art.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:57:01 pm »

JacobLee, iSalute you.

And Shosá; "And They Sang 'Lusko Chaineddefense'" shall live on forever as the apex of necromantic literature.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 09:12:54 pm »

Fantastic.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:46 pm »

Song-worthy!

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 12:06:54 am »

(;-;)7

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »

...and with the new version of DF, you can go and tell him, that it all was inevitable.
Pages: [1] 2