Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adding/modifying names in the custom name generator  (Read 2099 times)

EnderCrypt

• Bay Watcher
  • who needs sleep anyways?
    • View Profile
adding/modifying names in the custom name generator
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:27:23 am »

my friend mentioned how amazing the custom name generator is, and he is indeed right, its beautifull, he also asked if you could edit the names and add more/modify, i appriciate any answer, thank you everyone!
first time playing dwarf fortress: ‎‎
16th ‎november ‎2012, 00:52:00

mattychan

• Bay Watcher
  • Less than dabbling DF Modder
    • View Profile
Re: adding/modifying names in the custom name generator
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:13:21 am »

I could be wrong, if its not hard coded it could have something to do with the races language file.
If I ask a dumb question, please tell me. So we can bond over it.
Clearly egotistical. Moon Elves Rule!

Quailman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:30 am »

It is indeed based off of the language files.  First names are just a word from the file and last names are two words put together.   For example, Urist means "dagger" in Dwarven.  I believe there are some more rules, like that first names are always nouns, but I can't say for sure.

To add more names/words, you need to add words to the language_words file, and then to each of the language_DWARF, language_GOBLIN etc files.  Replacing names/words is much simpler: just go into the language_{race} file and change a word.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:03:19 pm »

This is relevant to my interests. I'd definitely like to know more about the naming rules re nouns etc.

EDIT: I can confirm all 7 starting Dwarves had names of Nouns only in the language file. Last names seem to be one non-noun followed by a noun. One of my dwarf's last name translated as "good-wire"

For more first names, you need more nouns. One way you can do this is by adding a tag "[noun::]" tag to a non-noun in your raws - in the language_words.txt file. if you don't add any other noun-related tags it won't appear in place or group names, because it's not eligible to appear in any slots. But it is then eligible to be a first name / surname ending. I tested this.

For example, "Ilas" is the Dwarf word for "Absolute". If you add the tag [noun::] in languages_word.txt under the ABSOLUTE entry, then "Ilas" will appear as a first name, but not as a word in place names (there are extra tags which control where nouns appear in place names).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:24:53 pm by Reelya »