Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS in 40.x  (Read 1900 times)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS in 40.x
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:27:35 am »

Heya,

I know optimization didn't start yet but I am having a serious problem with the new version here. Maybe it's fixable by a few config changes but not sure where to start :)

Anyway, I'm playing on an old machine but it usually got the job done at a steady 200fps with 7 dwarves (in 34.11 and before that). With the new 40.x version it gets 200 fps too, but only for ~2 - 5 minutes in a new fortress, after that it slows down to 30 - 60 fps. That is unplayable unfortunately :(

Nothing even happened, no immigrants, no combat. Nothing in the logs. I don't know what's causing this.

Any known fixes for that?

I play with mayday graphics pack and removed aquifers, that is it.

Edit: Hmm, I just tried setting Weather and Temperature to NO and that seems to fix the problem? My new fort isn't lagging yet. Should have waited a bit. It's lagging too.

Edit2: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2amh1n/40_fps/
versions 40.0x have a lot of new features that lower performance, especially during spring and fall because of flower pebbles and leafs being physical objects and fruit trees being common.
You just have to kill all the cherry trees to keep your fps up high.
also the new version is slightly unoptimized and lacks boosting plugins.

Looks like I have to play a glacier fort until this gets sorted :D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:01:21 am by yarr »

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS in 40.x
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:18 am »

One of the biggest causes of the current slowness is that all of the calendar activity before you start a game happens every day in fortress mode as well. Slowness in the calendar directly correlates to slowness when playing fort mode. Toady's going to tackle that as soon as he gets the major crash bugs sorted out, so things should get much better after that. Until then, anything that you can do to speed up the calendar (smaller world, shorter history) will speed up fort mode.  ;)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:52:03 am »

Thanks I think you are right that calendar activity will take some fps. I am not expecting 34.11 fps with the new version, but I think this massive slowdown (probably only very noticeable on slower machines) is a bug and I think I have some new information.

I have conducted a few tests now and the fps is fine as long as there are only land-creatures on the map (Kangaroos, Badgers etc). Once flying creatures (Albatross, Raven etc) join the map the fps drops. Guess it's somehow related to the flying-pathfinding and how they crash into everything?

Update: So I have removed most of the birds (just deleted the creature_birds and creature_birds_new). There is still one mosquito man or something on the map, but as long as it's not >6 flying creatures I can play with decent fps.

Update2: Hrmm...it still slows down when a lot of creatures are on the map, tho not as drastic?? I'm not even sure anymore...sigh. Guess I'll just wait for Toady to figure this one out :p
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:25:42 am by yarr »

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:35:33 am »

Ok sorry one last bump to this thread :)

I'm playing on a good machine now and I start with 600 fps.
When 9 (!) ravens enter the map and they cost 300+ fps. That's a lot I would say. Now I don't know if only the flying animals or the land based creatures too that affect the frame rate in a bad way, but it's definitely got to do with the animals. I'm 99% sure :D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

300 FPS is extremely fast. It started at 600 because there was almost nothing for the processor to deal with. When the ravens came, there still wasn't much to deal with, but it was a lot more than "almost nothing".

I don't see how 30-60 FPS is "unplayable," that was pretty normal for a new fortress on my laptop back in 2007. The game got faster, sure (I cap my FPS at 100 to keep it stable), but I don't see how running at the same speed is less playable now than it was then.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:43:30 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:32 am »

I know performance will degrade over time, and I'm fine with it. I usually start "as fast as possible" tho because I dislike the initial digging and the first few workshops, beds etc.
Game starts after 20 minutes for me :D

When the game reaches 60 fps I usually abandon the fortress, unless it's an extremely good one :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:31 am »

60 FPS is still pretty fast though. I had a 40-year fort back in 2010 that got below 1 FPS before I finished it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:53 am »

<1 FPS. Wow.

Anyway. Looks like you're right. The ravens left and it only got me +60 FPS. Not sure anymore what the problem (if you can call it that) even is.

Game is awesome. I'm out.  :P

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:59:13 am »

<1 FPS. Wow.
Anyway. Looks like you're right. The ravens left and it only got me +60 FPS. Not sure anymore what the problem (if you can call it that) even is.
Game is awesome. I'm out.  :P
60 FPS is a breaking point for you? :) Mine is somewhere around 15.
And about the ravens: fliers are still broken as of 40.05, they get stuck in the air near invisible borders. I suspect they still run the pathfinding continuously, so they eat your FPS. Wait for Toady's fix.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:26:36 am »

You need to reset your standards. A lot of people would commit murder if that would get them 60FPS. While I can understand your idea of speedrushing through the first season, when setting up basics, after that, you'll miss out on most of the game's detail if you run such high speeds.

On my previous pc, my breaking point was single digits. Below 10 FPS is no longer enjoyable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:29:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 03:48:24 am »

A lot of people would commit murder if that would get them 60FPS.
Committing murder CAN get you 60FPS.  Lots of people out there in the world with nice fast computers ripe for the murderin'.
 ;)

(If the NSA is watching, my cat typed this post)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:06:56 am »

A lot of people would commit murder if that would get them 60FPS.
Committing murder CAN get you 60FPS.  Lots of people out there in the world with nice fast computers ripe for the murderin'.
 ;)

(If the NSA is watching, my cat typed this post)

What do you mean, "if"?