Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED & UPLOADED] Help needed with dragon scales  (Read 1779 times)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SOLVED & UPLOADED] Help needed with dragon scales
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »

I posted in the creature thread a while ago, but I was unable to get anywhere with it. What I'm trying to accomplish is making dragon scales work similarly to ribs, but protecting the wholy body instead of just the internal organs.

The following raws generate no errors whatsoever. They allow targeting of the scales in melee combat, but not in wrestling. When attacking the body parts normally, I never hit the scales.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:10:31 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with dragon scales
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:09:49 pm »

Yay, finally got it to work! And I learned quite a bit from it, too :D

Really proud of the result. I gave the dragons scales that will almost always be hit when trying to attack the dragon. These scales in turn are 80-97% covered by an adamantine shell, depending on the body part the shell is on. This results in almost most attacks glancing off, but if you get lucky, you can break a shell which makes it easier to damage the body part the shell is located on. Kind of gamey, I know, but I really like it. :)

Raws for anyone who'd like to try it out  can be found here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8970
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED & UPLOADED] Help needed with dragon scales
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:08 am »

Uhh, so the last version of the dragon didn't work quite as expected...

Anyways, I've modified it, and it seems to work a lot better now.

Feature list:

- Body covered in severable scales, which in turn are covered in an adamantine shell. Sever scales to increase chances of actually damaging the body part.
- Non-scaly, hard-shelled feet & wings.
- Razor-sharp teeth & claws that rip through steel armour like nothing.
- Should be laying eggs that can hatch.
- High natural skills, which should evolve throughout worlgen.

Tips for fighting the dragon:
- Bring a shield. This is pretty much required for dragonhunting, seeing as it's the best way to not get scorched to death.
- Attack the wings and feet early on. While damaging these shouldn't kill the dragon, impairing these is much faster than killing the dragon, and will make escaping easier if the battle is not going in your favor.
- Don't target the upper body. This part is protected by a thick, impenetrable layer of scales (Fort mode, yay! ;)).
- Stay near a source of water. Killing a dragon takes a while, unless you've got candy weapons. Chances are you might catch fire.
- Be prepared to die unless you've got several legendary+ skills.

If anyone finds anything that seems odd, please let me know :)

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »

Hey! I love what you have done!
I have not actually tested this but I think the size of the dragon is a bit low for the first 1000 years (about 6dm^3, which is 6 liters of water) I think a few more    [BODY_SIZE] tags won't hurt.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:16:46 am »

I usually translate 1000 "size" into 1 kg because it's easier to imagine weight than actual size of oddly-shaped creatures. 6000 for newborn is ok because they hatch from 6100 size eggs (which is fine in most fantasy settings).

But just 1 scale per bodypart? I thought you wanted them "numbered" as ribs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:32:00 am »

Hey! I love what you have done!
I have not actually tested this but I think the size of the dragon is a bit low for the first 1000 years (about 6dm^3, which is 6 liters of water) I think a few more    [BODY_SIZE] tags won't hurt.

Thank you :D

Yeah, I didn't look into body size yet. I guess I should do that at some point, especially if others than me are trying it out. I believe the size scales though, so after 500 years it should be somewhere around 12500000 size units. Not entirely sure about this though.

I usually translate 1000 "size" into 1 kg because it's easier to imagine weight than actual size of oddly-shaped creatures. 6000 for newborn is ok because they hatch from 6100 size eggs (which is fine in most fantasy settings).

But just 1 scale per bodypart? I thought you wanted them "numbered" as ribs.

Uhh, there are actually 12-24 scales per body part :) I just put them in categories, so I didn't have to set up their body part coverage separately for each scale. Take a look at body_lotr_dragon.txt for the number of scales per body part. :)

I started out making them numbered, but that was really bugged and the scales would all be severed at once. The way I ended up doing it works pretty much as I want it to, but has really ugly RAWs. I've only tried this in arena mode though, so if anyone tries this out and encounters a dragon in adventure/dwarf mode, let me know how it goes. If playing fortress mode  you might want to modify the fort triggers though, seeing as I really tried to make these dragons match the traditional, legendary fantasy-dragons in power. ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:00:26 am »

Sorry, I was browsing from the phone and missed that numbered thing. I will try to play around with different number of scales per bodypart etc and report my findings.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository