Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1875507 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4425 on: June 15, 2016, 11:16:29 pm »

Walls, wells, livestock and fields are definitely there in the last version.

As to the tavern owners in towns - I think they either don't always spawn or are not always present in taverns. In a dwarven fortress for example I've visited tavern and there was nobody there but when I returned a couple of real time minutes later the owner was there.

As to the unplausible look of the fortresses/cities - yeah, that is true, mainly because dwarves don't sleep in their rooms but together in their meeting areas. Also, those need some of the facilities that you can build in the fortress mode - hospitals, temples (I've seen those only in towns and they are odd because there are numerous bodies actually lying threre on the floor, not even rotten I think and guards were patrolling the catacombs, yuck), barracks, training grounds for soldiers. It is not as bad as you describe it, but could definitely stand some improvement.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:31:15 pm by Ekaton »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: June 16, 2016, 12:59:46 am »

Granted, one's opinion of what a realistic worlgenned dwarf fortress would be influenced by your normal build style in fortress mode. For example, mine would have a trade depot out in the open, near a basic archery tower, and near a rather nondescript ramp leading into the inevitable cage traps, drawbridges, and dog-based airlock, into a hideous grid composed of 5x5 rooms where workshops, storage, giant communal bedrooms etc are haphazardly laid out.

In short, not a place I'd like to explore. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: June 16, 2016, 01:05:58 am »

Granted, one's opinion of what a realistic worlgenned dwarf fortress would be influenced by your normal build style in fortress mode. For example, mine would have a trade depot out in the open, near a basic archery tower, and near a rather nondescript ramp leading into the inevitable cage traps, drawbridges, and dog-based airlock, into a hideous grid composed of 5x5 rooms where workshops, storage, giant communal bedrooms etc are haphazardly laid out.

In short, not a place I'd like to explore. o3o
When you run across a worldgen fort with an entry hall full of cagetraps, you'll rue the day you asked for more player-ish forts :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: June 16, 2016, 02:06:27 am »

When you run across a worldgen fort with an entry hall full of cagetraps, you'll rue the day you asked for more player-ish forts :)

Assuming cage traps will ever work on adventurers, which I suspect won't be on Toady's to-do list for a while. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: June 16, 2016, 04:44:59 am »

Where are those walls? I can only see keep having walls but not the town.
Yes, I'm gay.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: June 16, 2016, 05:03:50 am »

Try finding a larger city. When they get big enough you can get another ring of walls besides just the inner keep. At least that's what I saw quite often in earlier versions.

Pretty much everything you mentioned in your post is definitely in the latest version in one way or another. It being adventure mode, it's not exactly easy to tell what all the NPCs are really doing, so it can be hard to judge just how much "living" is going on, but they do seem to be doing their own thing rather than just mulling about in a single room. Not that things can't be improved, but it's not really a top of the list issue.

I have noticed the central City towers tend to have fewer floors/rooms than they used to though, often just being the main room and stairs down into whatever catacombs there are beneath it. You can find some more complex human buildings near hamlets that have "Lords" in them, with a bit more varied architecture.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:08 am »

I tried to be a poet/musician in the game so I did spend much time in one room, telling stories, playing music and reading poems and nothing really happened. No one worked, they hardly ever left those rooms and slept just where they stood on the ground. That is not very lively.
Yes, I'm gay.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: June 16, 2016, 08:46:50 am »

In real life, losing a limb is very painful. In Dwarf Fortress, losing a limb isn't painful at all. Is that going to change?

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: June 16, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »

I've seen some of the URR generated sites - they look much more real that DF ones - both larger and more plausible, and from what I remember the NPCs there have their own daily routines, unlike in DF, where they will work in a certain place, return home at certain time and go to sleep in their own beds.
Yes, I'm gay.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: June 16, 2016, 05:15:55 pm »

I've seen some of the URR generated sites - they look much more real that DF ones - both larger and more plausible, and from what I remember the NPCs there have their own daily routines, unlike in DF, where they will work in a certain place, return home at certain time and go to sleep in their own beds.
You know that's all the URR AI does right now, right? And actually doesn't right now until all the bugs are fixed. Different game, different priorites, completely off topic.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: June 16, 2016, 11:09:46 pm »

...unlike in DF, where they will work in a certain place, return home at certain time and go to sleep in their own beds.

Well...

'Why are you traveling?' "Going to the tavern." 'Tell me about yourself, do you have any kids?' "As a matter of fact I do, my daughter is a scholar and spends most of her time trying to understand the world."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

'How about you? On a patrol I bet?' "Nah, was just at the well rinsing crud out of my beard." 'Ah, cool.'

'So tell me, preacher, what is all this?' "It is a place where all who wish to do so can gather together and appreciate the glorious storms our god creates for us."

Yes I'm filling in a bit of the dialogue*, but you get the basic idea that they're out and about doing their own thing, rather than just waiting for me to come on the map so they can exist until I move out of range.

*This is a big part of why I like playing around in the worlds I make with df, when I stopped thinking about the little symbols or what they represent and just started thinking in terms of the game world and what is going on there, I really fell in love with the whole project. All the little things Toady wants to have in there because it wouldn't feel like the same sort of world without them. All the frustratingly endearing quirks that come about from various parts being implemented before others, even the occasionally crippling bugs wind up being entertaining (who ordered all those horses again?) when you stop and think about what the hell is going on sometimes.

I've only been playing for about two years, though I've been aware of the game in some way for a few years before I started with 40.06, but looking back and playing the earlier versions, following along through that development cycle, and then this current one I'm still struck by the ridiculous amount of promise it shows when you consider that the most finely tweaked and tuned worlds I make with whichever parameters I've found lead to the most interesting and unexpected behavior, all the things I do and see and take part in or just let happen, are under half of the way to where he wants these worlds to go.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:16 am »

Any ideas on what went wrong with monster hunters? Don't think anyone's spotted one through the whole release period.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: June 17, 2016, 01:14:02 pm »

06/12/2016...
...As part of the recent fix that brought armor back to invading soldiers and others, we need to deal with the effectiveness of armor, since there are too many fights that never end. To this end, we're going to do armor item damage...

As part of adding armor item damage, are there any plans to allow dwarves or other crafts-persons the ability to repair damaged armor? Or will players be forced to either obtain or make new armor and either sell or smelt badly damaged armor?

Also, I wonder whether or not armor made of 'candy' and other exotic materials will resist item damage any better than steel and standard fair. If it's not even possible to repair candy/secret armor, it would be frustrating to loose them as obtaining or making such is rather difficult/dangerous.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:24:19 pm by Thundercraft »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: June 17, 2016, 01:55:50 pm »

Given how ridiculously durable candy is I don't expect it would wear out as quickly as some copper or even iron armor. Ooh, I wonder if this means we'll be able to cleave an elf in the chest with a good steel or candy battle axe, splintering their mahogany breastplate, fracturing ribs, and opening an artery or whatnot.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: June 17, 2016, 01:57:57 pm »

Adamantine is ridiculously strong and exactly as tough. It is impossible to bend. It may actually behave identically to the current version with all that taken into consideration.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 306