Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1873220 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4410 on: June 14, 2016, 01:16:57 pm »

So wait...my tactic of distracting the GCS by having it gnaw uselessly on the Captain of the Guard's steel helmeted head until the rest of the squad turn up might not work any more?

- The giant cave spider carefully removes the swordsdwarf's pants helmet...
Personally, I'd be kind of against non-intelligent creatures pulling something like this off. If anything, though, you'd think a GCS or other creatures would just start biting random body parts after a few glancing blows to the head.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:17 pm »

So wait...my tactic of distracting the GCS by having it gnaw uselessly on the Captain of the Guard's steel helmeted head until the rest of the squad turn up might not work any more?

Personally, I'd be kind of against non-intelligent creatures pulling something like this off. If anything, though, you'd think a GCS or other creatures would just start biting random body parts after a few glancing blows to the head.

Actually, that brings up a good point.

What led to you adding the "NPCs can remove enemy helmets" idea instead of targetting other bodyparts? Especially since both would presumably be triggered by enough ineffectual head strikes, was there a specific reason you decided to implement that instead of something simpler like a "target some other part" mechanic?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: June 14, 2016, 04:39:21 pm »

Actually, that brings up a good point.

What led to you adding the "NPCs can remove enemy helmets" idea instead of targetting other bodyparts? Especially since both would presumably be triggered by enough ineffectual head strikes, was there a specific reason you decided to implement that instead of something simpler like a "target some other part" mechanic?
Because targetting other armoured body parts would result in an endless fight. The point is enemies can now come completely armoured. And while it would be amusing for goblins to rip off a dorfs pants half way through a fight, the helmet kind of makes more sense, don't you think?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: June 14, 2016, 07:09:24 pm »

As armor stripping is being added, might that also mean weapon using NPCs would be capable of wrestling attacks? Currently this is not so if NPC is in possession of a weapon. Default is attack with weapon, punch or kick.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: June 14, 2016, 07:15:03 pm »

What are the requirements for an opponent to remove helmets? Does the creature in question need to be intelligent, or can large predators remove helmets as well?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: June 14, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »

What are the requirements for an opponent to remove helmets? Does the creature in question need to be intelligent, or can large predators remove helmets as well?

To Witty, and others, there is a partial answer to this in the devblog.  It seems that unintelligent creatures will not be pulling off helmets. The removal of helmets is specifically mentioned for unconscious opponents.

Note also, importantly, the mention of neck/joint damage. So, an unintelligent creature spam attacking a helmeted dwarf's head may just result in death by broken neck.

As a side effect of this, we should do !!SCIENCE!! on whether Coinstar training rooms now become potentially deadly.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:13 pm »

And what about OS X and Linux? GCC 4.5 is quite ancient. Do you own a Mac or how do you build for OS X? Also letting you know that unlike other platforms there's no need to support both 32/64bit versions for OS X, as there are no separate 32/64bit version of the OS and the only hardware not capable of running 64bit binaries is from about 2006.
Every time this topic comes up, my trusty old VIC-20 cries :(
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: June 15, 2016, 12:59:29 am »

Because targetting other armoured body parts would result in an endless fight. The point is enemies can now come completely armoured. And while it would be amusing for goblins to rip off a dorfs pants half way through a fight, the helmet kind of makes more sense, don't you think?

Isn't the throat always exposed though? >_>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: June 15, 2016, 02:11:59 am »

Isn't the throat always exposed though? >_>
Is it? Ha ha. Time for some throat armour.
Well anyway,  necks and throats will nicely smashed up by hard blows to the head after the update, so no need to aim there.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: June 15, 2016, 02:58:06 am »

@Mr S: Coinstars went potentially deadly more than a year and a half ago when coins actually started hitting. I disabled mine rather quickly after that update, although the damages at that point were limited to a number of cases of broken bones.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: June 15, 2016, 08:46:30 am »

@Mr S: Coinstars went potentially deadly more than a year and a half ago when coins actually started hitting. I disabled mine rather quickly after that update, although the damages at that point were limited to a number of cases of broken bones.
Equipping and training a militia is a complex socioeconomic undertaking in a highly detailed fantasy simulation.  Of course you can't solve it by simply throwing money at the problem :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: June 15, 2016, 10:41:47 pm »

Are there any plans to improve how sites look any time soon? I like the new features but I think that it is most important to make world look plausible before adding something new to it.

Towns look really bad now, there are no homes where people would actually live, and existing buildings look not realistic at all. The keep is nothing but a buidling with one throne inside, no rooms for the lord or his guards to live in, no royal bureaucrats, no dungeons, just several towers with nobody in them. Taverns are especially bad - there are a couple of tables and chairs are clustered in one part of the building while the rest is empty. There are usually about 2 rooms. There are dozens of merchants coming to the town and only two rooms for them. There are usually no guests, and in towns no tavern owners. There are no granaries, no wells, no walls, no town guards.

Dwarf fortresses are very bad too - although there are a lot of rooms for dwarfs to sleep in, they spend all day in a meeting area and sleep there too. There are no military barracks, no guards keeping watch, taverns look as bad as in towns, there are no temples or libraries, no place to eat food properly with tables and chairs and kitchens. Sometimes their rooms lack beds too, and the corridors seem to be a maze instead of as efficient as possible.

Villages look very small and lack life entirely. There are no fields or farm animals at all.

Dwarf fortress looks really fine now, it is mostly realistic and plausible, but the adv mode seems unrealistic and lacks life. Surely, there are many villagers, but they do nothing at all - they never even sleep in their beds, just stand in one place.

I really like that there are new features, but I humbly believe that it is the world that needs fixing first. I want it to look realistic.
Yes, I'm gay.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:28 pm »

I see tavern keepers, town and fortress guards, I see temples, world-gen fort libraries, houses, guard patrols, villagers wander around doing things... are you on 43.03?

I agree that world-gen forts are a problem, the way everyone wants to rush up or down the rampspiral every time you load it is what finally made me eliminate them (well, that and my early bad luck at finding libraries) in favor of having humans and dorfs build towns/hamlets.

I see field plots, livestock, all that sort of stuff.

How many worlds have you played around in, how large are they, how old are they, how big are these towns? Have you found a masterwork symbol town which seemed dead and lifeless and wasn't actually in ruins?

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: June 15, 2016, 10:57:00 pm »

Wells and walls in particular have been around since 0.31 ish.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 306