Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872431 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4065 on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:47 pm »

Oh! It was [OUTDOOR_FARMING] I think, plus the brewing reactions/brewer position which made it work right.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: April 19, 2016, 10:11:04 pm »

Ah right. Odd, I thought they had that too. Whaaat.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: April 20, 2016, 12:38:19 am »

Elves in fortress mode (petitioned for citizenship, that is) are interesting in that they're naturally friendly with wild animals, which makes them good animal trappers and tamers. Just make sure elves are alone when they might accidentally let that tiger loose, or they're the only one in the burrow to go set that cage trap right in front of a hungry tiger...
Wait, can you actually get outsiders that do those things? I'm new at this whole visitor thing and so far I'm a bit bothered by how everyone I've seen is either a soldier, entertainer, or nerd.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:42:40 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: April 20, 2016, 12:53:34 am »

Elves in fortress mode (petitioned for citizenship, that is) are interesting in that they're naturally friendly with wild animals, which makes them good animal trappers and tamers. Just make sure elves are alone when they might accidentally let that tiger loose, or they're the only one in the burrow to go set that cage trap right in front of a hungry tiger...
Wait, can you actually get outsiders that do those things? I'm new at this whole visitor thing and so far I'm a bit bothered by how everyone I've seen is either a soldier, entertainer, or nerd.

They can eventually petition to become full citizens after they've been long-term residents for long enough. So that means not only are common "just here to chill out" visitors not going to be useful, the ones that start off by asking to stay as a resident need time to ask for citizenship.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: April 20, 2016, 04:31:14 am »

They can eventually petition to become full citizens after they've been long-term residents for long enough. So that means not only are common "just here to chill out" visitors not going to be useful, the ones that start off by asking to stay as a resident need time to ask for citizenship.
There are supposed to be monster hunters as well, but they're either AWOL or very rare. Mercenaries do never petition to become citizens, as far as I understand, but entertainers do, and I think scientists do as well. When they've become full citizens (i.e. after two accepted petitions), they're full citizens you can order around just as you do with your dorfs, assign jobs, assign to all military positions (including squad leader), etc, so you accept entertainers and eventually get smiths, militia, and strands extractors out of them (somewhat deceitful recruiting tactics if you ask me, but there is nobody coming to the fortress to petition to work as a hauler (or actual craft) while waiting for the time to petition for citizenship and a real job).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:24 am »

so you accept entertainers and eventually get smiths, militia, and strands extractors out of them (somewhat deceitful recruiting tactics if you ask me, but there is nobody coming to the fortress to petition to work as a hauler (or actual craft) while waiting for the time to petition for citizenship and a real job).

Of course that's how it is.  Oh, those ferner elves always come in here saying they'll "do the jobs dwarves don't want to do" like picking outdoor fruit or outdoor fishing or hauling, but next thing you know, BAM!, they're taking hard-working dwarves' jobs at magma forges run by three generations of dwarves!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:17 am »

Well, I actually WANTED them to work at proper jobs, rather than just hang around the tavern, so I'm the deceitful one here...
I don't do outdoor fruit picking because I can't limit the amount to something reasonable (a single tree of each kind is far too much). I do consider sending a picking expedition out every 5 years or so...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: April 20, 2016, 10:17:18 am »

So really, they're no more useless than a highly-delayed migrant dwarf. Now if we had elven cheesemakers... :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:36 am »

Well, elves could go right up to a natural creature without scaring it away or causing it to attack, so a full squad of elves could fully surround the creature and then attack it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: April 20, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »

Mercenaries do never petition to become citizens, as far as I understand...
I'm pretty sure they do.

For some reason, my visiting scholars never want to petition residency for my fort, despite the fact that it's the only one in the world left with a standing library.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:40:17 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: April 20, 2016, 01:10:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do.

For some reason, my visiting scholars never want to petition residency for my fort, despite the fact that it's the only one in the world left with a standing library.
Ah, playing Adventurer and Fort in the same world, eh? ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: April 20, 2016, 01:13:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do.

Ah, playing Adventurer and Fort in the same world, eh? ;)
Nope. Megabeasts and goblins. They didn't survive world gen.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: April 20, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do.

I believe forum discussions have indicated mercs don't petition to become citizens, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. I have a fortress (0.42.05) with 10 long term merc, 5(?) years since the first one petitioned for residence. Since then a fair number of performers have applied both for residence and later for citizenship, including two performance troupes. I do have a merc resident couple (merc 10 is the spouse of one of the earlier ones) that has produced kids, however, and I also have a scholar who's petitioned for residence (sufficiently late that citizenship isn't due for a while). Another scholar who stayed for a lot of years without applying for residence (apparently) left shortly before her performer spouse applied for residence, and his room lists both his and her name.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: April 20, 2016, 06:39:54 pm »

I believe forum discussions have indicated mercs don't petition to become citizens, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. I have a fortress (0.42.05) with 10 long term merc, 5(?) years since the first one petitioned for residence. Since then a fair number of performers have applied both for residence and later for citizenship, including two performance troupes. I do have a merc resident couple (merc 10 is the spouse of one of the earlier ones) that has produced kids, however, and I also have a scholar who's petitioned for residence (sufficiently late that citizenship isn't due for a while). Another scholar who stayed for a lot of years without applying for residence (apparently) left shortly before her performer spouse applied for residence, and his room lists both his and her name.
Nevermind. It was just a dancer with spear skills who I had recruited into my merc squad.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: April 21, 2016, 10:19:43 pm »

Regarding civilising, besides animal-men, why gorlaks and plump helmet men?
Are these 'test species' before you let everything intelligent civilise, or is there a "lore" reason? Like you see Gorlaks as far more likely to civilise than, say, trolls, gremlins or gnomes?

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 306