Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872864 times)

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2820 on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:55 pm »

Can adventurers request permanent residence at Player Fortresses while playing them in adventure mode? If so, what noble would the adventurer need to speak to?
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: November 23, 2015, 12:35:00 am »

I predict an early christmas release.
It would be awesome if the release came out "Black Friday" (which is actually Thanksgiving afternoon this year) and messed all the USians' shopping.  Or the people in line with their laptops can sing the praises of DF to others in the line... You know they don't dare leave and lose their place.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: November 23, 2015, 01:27:08 am »

My prediction is that he'll aim for a January release and start labeling them DF2014, DF2015, DF2016 instead of v.numbers.  I'm excited to try the new features, but given that the last major version completely destroyed sieges, I'd rather see it progress slow and smooth and just make the game well.

What? Why? You may notice the current version is the 24th version in the 0.40 line.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: November 23, 2015, 02:24:35 am »

DF20xx is a forum invented system. Would be odd for Toady to suddenly change the way he numbers the versions.

Forum naming system is kind of confusing actually. DF2014 (version that everyone's playing released in Jan 2015). Followed by...DF2015? (Final release probably well into 2016).

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: November 23, 2015, 05:57:25 am »

DF20xx is a forum invented system. Would be odd for Toady to suddenly change the way he numbers the versions.

Forum naming system is kind of confusing actually. DF2014 (version that everyone's playing released in Jan 2015). Followed by...DF2015? (Final release probably well into 2016).

They are named after the year the major updates they were basedvon csme out.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: November 23, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »

My prediction is that he'll aim for a January release and start labeling them DF2014, DF2015, DF2016 instead of v.numbers.
You're confusing Toady with EA, and Dwarf Fortress with DwarfBall :)
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: November 23, 2015, 03:31:25 pm »

My prediction is that he'll aim for a January release and start labeling them DF2014, DF2015, DF2016 instead of v.numbers.
You're confusing Toady with EA, and Dwarf Fortress with DwarfBall :)
But that could involve someone throwing a dwarf.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2827 on: November 23, 2015, 06:40:26 pm »

My prediction is that he'll aim for a January release and start labeling them DF2014, DF2015, DF2016 instead of v.numbers.  I'm excited to try the new features, but given that the last major version completely destroyed sieges, I'd rather see it progress slow and smooth and just make the game well.

It didn't completely destroy them, and the pathfinding bug that contributes to them being rarer has already been said to be fixed.
They had trouble pathing into/around mountains...lots of em.. toady said these are fixed for the next version, you still wont get them as often though because the reason they are different now is because of world activation, they need a reason to attack you now, they need too raise the army, and they need to march all the way to your fort now, they can and sometimes do, get destroyed on the way, and a lot of the time, they are too busy fighting other forts/other races to fight you your fort isn't the "center of the universe " anymore. world activation is a huge change.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:16 pm »

Took me a while to get round to it, but I finally sat down for five minutes of simple text file editing to better my odds of being attacked by goblins (they arrive faster, their sites are more spread out across the world, and they should be at reasonable pop levels for adventuring too). Currently year 4 and the 4th siege is just finished. Armoured lasher trolls, hordes of fully armed goblins. Looking good so far. Yeah, they may run out of troops at some point, but I don't normally play a fortress more than 5 or 6 years anyhow.
Now the real issue is the management of body parts and stress.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: November 24, 2015, 01:48:41 am »

Huh. What exactly is the series of edits you used for that?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: November 24, 2015, 02:45:27 am »

Will edit this when I get back to my computer tomorrow to check.

But basically, I set both population triggers to 1 in entity.txt (Not sure which has an effect - worked though, first siege in Spring, year 2 at pop 21). Then I reduced the max site pop for goblins to about 80 I think (figured it might work like Populous and encourage a lot of emigration). Limited Dwarves and Elves to 3 civs each, humans to 5, goblins and kobolds to 50 each (forget why I didn't leave them at unlimited, possibly worldgen got stuck in a reject loop?). Made goblins require food to help reduce their total pop as suggested someplace around here.

Then basic worldgen with max sliders on everything. End result after 1050 years is goblins all over the place with plenty of choice of embark spots. I selected a scenic valley with goblin neighbors that included a fortress.

First time to play with the raws, so no idea yet what helped and what was redundant. All I know is I didn't have to tackle advanced worldgen, and you can choose a Fun embark without having to think about it too much.

Silverybearded

• Bay Watcher
  • Midor Belnekol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: November 24, 2015, 06:24:01 am »

I'm frankly just waiting for the day when Toady writes:
"Discovered a bug: The steward of the dwarven Mountainhome, despite his longstanding grudges and secret alliance with the humans, failed to assassinate the Elven king during the 100-year-peace celebration."
"Wait, scratch that: The assassin was on his way, but lost his way in the labyrith, then decided to play with the magic trap. I... think he's alive? What on earth did that thing DO?"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:26:07 am by Silverybearded »
Engraved is a superior rendition of an image of Arkoth, the local deity of balance and speech, and two elves. Arkoth is burning the two elves. Arkoth is laughing. The two elves are suffering. The image was commissioned by the Round Guild, a local dwarven government.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: November 24, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »

Judging by hist last post, I think pre-release hype should commence.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: November 24, 2015, 05:21:12 pm »

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

GIMME THEM TEMPLES

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2834 on: November 24, 2015, 05:37:51 pm »

I'm frankly just waiting for the day when Toady writes:
"Discovered a bug: The steward of the dwarven Mountainhome, despite his longstanding grudges and secret alliance with the humans, failed to assassinate the Elven king during the 100-year-peace celebration."
"Wait, scratch that: The assassin was on his way, but lost his way in the labyrith, then decided to play with the magic trap. I... think he's alive? What on earth did that thing DO?"

Its the fantasy matrix.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 306