Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1873752 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1710 on: April 13, 2015, 09:02:56 am »

It kinda depends on the person in question.

It would make sense to see something like

"He does not work well under pressure or stress"
For some dwarves and.

"Works well under pressure"
Or something of the like for others.

This would be more realistic than just have all dwarves be negatively or positively impacted becasue it respects the differences of individuals
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 13, 2015, 09:11:19 am »

This would be more realistic than just have all dwarves be negatively or positively impacted becasue it respects the differences of individuals

That's very true. I hope this will be taken into account. I reformulate the question, in green, this time.

Will the dwarves be impacted by stress according to their personnality ? Can stress be "positive" for productivity sometimes ?

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:59 am »

Not to turn this into a suggestion thread, but I'm not sure the stress thing needs to change, because these sorts of stressors are shown to pretty much universally decrease productivity. The death of a loved one isn't the sort of thing that increases productivity. Neither does not getting enough to eat, or anything like that. Happy employees are productive employees, and the type of stress that makes you work more actively usually relates to demands in the workplace, not tragedy at home.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 14, 2015, 02:16:15 am »

The death of a loved one isn't the sort of thing that increases productivity.

Unless you are an artist, for example.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 14, 2015, 09:16:46 pm »

Not to turn this into a suggestion thread, but I'm not sure the stress thing needs to change, because these sorts of stressors are shown to pretty much universally decrease productivity. The death of a loved one isn't the sort of thing that increases productivity. Neither does not getting enough to eat, or anything like that. Happy employees are productive employees, and the type of stress that makes you work more actively usually relates to demands in the workplace, not tragedy at home.
The terms you're looking for are eustress and distress.  At the moment, we only seem to have distress.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 14, 2015, 09:54:22 pm »

The terms you're looking for are eustress and distress.  At the moment, we only seem to have distress.
All thoughts, including being interested in furniture and the like, are considered eustress.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 15, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »

You mention that spectator areas and such will be automatic. will we still be able to designate them if we want to have a dedicated auditorium? Will this ever be expanded to other activities like gladiator arenas?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 16, 2015, 01:28:02 am »

I don't know why but reading that made me think:

Urist McDancer cancels open door and get on floor: interrupted by web-spewing three-eyed dinosaur.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 16, 2015, 01:50:48 am »

Might we get rowdy creatures dancing on tables?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 16, 2015, 01:54:24 am »

Judging by the devlog, creatures prefer to have free space for dancing, away from tables and chairs. At least for the time being.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 16, 2015, 03:48:52 am »

Will the new libraries have any raw-defined and/or randomly generated secret books in them, which is to say anything with IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE in them?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 16, 2015, 05:29:56 am »

Have you considered having Dwarves shove chairs and tables out of the way to make room to dance? Or is that too complicated for now?

Also, stress seems to have become pretty easy to manage recently, are you making any Fun changes to encourage players to allow dancing Dwarves (besides slight increase in productivity?).

Seems like the min-maxers might not bother with dance floors at all.

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Surrender... or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 16, 2015, 03:15:20 pm »

Do you plan to have activities other than dancing that use area divisions in the next release?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:17:09 pm by HartLord »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 16, 2015, 04:52:27 pm »

Do you plan to have activities other than dancing that use area divisions in the next release?
I think a spectator area would be useful for a fistfight, too :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 16, 2015, 05:08:08 pm »

I think a spectator area would be useful for a fistfight, too :)
We can rattle off probably lots of concepts that can make use of a division area. Sermons. Trails. Union Meetings. Operating Theater. Maybe get refactored for training by observing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 306