Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872387 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #330 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »

No, there will still need to be other relevant tags such as gestation time and clutch size or litter size. This means that they don't necessarily need to have a child life stage, like kittens or poults.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2014, 06:34:57 pm »

No, there will still need to be other relevant tags such as gestation time and clutch size or litter size. This means that they don't necessarily need to have a child life stage, like kittens or poults.

To admit childhood is pretty much the stage between infant helplessness and adult sexual activity.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:29 pm »

Right. So it is still allowable for creatures to have multiple life stages, like the humanoid races do.

But it is also possible to have creatures that birth/hatch/spawn fully formed, but smaller individuals. Examples would be spiders, crocodiles, some fish, etc.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2014, 06:48:21 pm »

There is no gestation time tag, and [LITTERSIZE] or [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] are not necessary for creatures to give birth. Clutch size probably is important for egg-layers though. I don't know what would happen to an egg-layer that did not have a clutch size.

If a gestation tag has been added, then the wiki needs to be updated, as there is not one listed there.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2014, 08:14:32 pm »

Hmm, that's true. Upon further reading I didn't see the tags I was imagining. I do know that in DFHack you can view a nest box's timer on the clutch and I believe the pregnancy timers in a pregnant female mammal. I do not recall if they vary by species, I'd have to look more into the Hack discussion on that. So, there are evidently some other factors not in RAWS that effect this, as well as if a nest box is needed, etc. Needs more !!SCIENCE!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:42 am »

Quote from: devlog
Fixed problem causing underground animals to be placed beyond their number (and then replaced at the higher number, and so on)

Whoo, at least the fortresses should be more manageable to go through now.

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »

Is that what was causing extreme slowness when walking through a fortress in adventure mode? I wonder if there's a similar bug affecting dark fortresses and their surroundings, which I've found almost impossible to approach due to the game slowing down.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 13, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »

Could just be the high civilized people and pets populations affecting dark fortresses, but in abandoned player forts cavern animal people populations, and the items they possess, could get duplicated every time you approach the site in adventure mode in 34.11., and you also sometimes got heaps of wild animals both above and below ground
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:49 pm »

Toady, in past versions, adding [GRASSTRAMPLE:50] to a creature would cause it to trample grass flat almost immediately, but in the current version (40.08) it appears to do nothing. Was this removed intentionally? If so, I'm curious as to why, and if it is coming back in the future.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 13, 2014, 03:13:20 pm »

Toady, in past versions, adding [GRASSTRAMPLE:50] to a creature would cause it to trample grass flat almost immediately, but in the current version (40.08) it appears to do nothing. Was this removed intentionally? If so, I'm curious as to why, and if it is coming back in the future.

(link to report)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2014, 03:27:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm the one that made the report. :P Then I started wondering if it was perhaps removed intentionally.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2014, 04:07:30 pm »

Is that what was causing extreme slowness when walking through a fortress in adventure mode? I wonder if there's a similar bug affecting dark fortresses and their surroundings, which I've found almost impossible to approach due to the game slowing down.

Well, it's a similar problem in that it's badly overpopulated.

Quote from: bugtracker changelog
- 0004430: [Dwarf Mode -- Stockpiles] Large gems not moved to stockpile (Toady One) - resolved.

Yay! This one was particularily annoying. Might also fix some gem based artifacts not being stored.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:11 am »

Made invaders not come back as ghosts
Are there plans to bring this back and make it functional? Haunted battlefields seem like a missed opportunity.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 14, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

Quote from: bugtracker changelog
- 0000895: [Dwarf Mode -- Jobs, Hunting] Items disappear (become invisible) after getting pushed by flowing water, burning in magma, or encased in ice (Toady One) - resolved.

YAY! THANK YOU TOADY ONE! :D

Just out of curiosity (and to actually make a question for the green text), what was causing that bug to happen?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:16 pm »

Made invaders not come back as ghosts
Are there plans to bring this back and make it functional? Haunted battlefields seem like a missed opportunity.

There's a ton of night creature types that they've planned but not implemented, and there's certainly a ton of stuff with the existing night creatures that's planned but not implemented, so I'm gonna go with a "probably".

Stuff like this gets removed because it's causing problems and the framework to do it properly isn't done yet.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 306