Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1871929 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #750 on: November 22, 2014, 06:30:44 pm »

When will items have their own descriptions and prefstrings (analogous to the creature ones)? I'd love to see a dwarf that "likes mugs for their roundness" or something silly like that.
._.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 22, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »

To clarify: I don't think its a problem with the eggs being fertilized at the moment, because as long as males are available and the females each have separate nest box rooms, they always seem to hatch fine.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:44 pm »

When will items have their own descriptions and prefstrings (analogous to the creature ones)? I'd love to see a dwarf that "likes mugs for their roundness" or something silly like that.

No offense, but why? It seems like it would just slow down the game for no real reason, sorry I'm not trying to be mean I honestly wonder why someone would like an item over something else, a weapon is understandable, but a cup, plate, fork, etc, doesn't really make sense to me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 22, 2014, 09:19:52 pm »

No offense, but why? It seems like it would just slow down the game for no real reason, sorry I'm not trying to be mean I honestly wonder why someone would like an item over something else, a weapon is understandable, but a cup, plate, fork, etc, doesn't really make sense to me.

I don't see where that was said at all.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 22, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »

Having a preference for items is already in the game. Sergarr is just asking about custom prefstrings and descriptions for items, like what animals and plants already have. Though plants only have prefstrings.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2014, 09:58:34 pm »

If a dwarf liked mugs it would surely be for their ability to hold booze, not because they are round.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 22, 2014, 10:02:59 pm »

However, I vaguely remember seeing an elk bird move off of a nest box (for training as I recall), thinking the eggs were ruined, then seeing them hatch anyway.
Perhaps for feeding?
A dwarf training the bird visits the nest's tile and apparently it's okay.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:01:22 pm by TBeholder »
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 23, 2014, 04:08:52 am »

Back to naughty bits, is there any reason as to why females won't be neuterable just like males, since there isn't any new body part involved?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 23, 2014, 06:06:22 am »

Back to naughty bits, is there any reason as to why females won't be neuterable just like males, since there isn't any new body part involved?

ToadyOne and ThreeToes have set a soft/hard limit to the technology of 14th century Europe. And spaying wasn't practice then. Its a pretty invasive surgery. Where as Gelding can be done as crudely, as tying a really tight know around the testis and waiting for them to fall off.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:22 am »

Probably moddable.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:18 am »

Probably moddable.

Oh sure. Pretty much put the same tags for the Castes that lets gelding on the males to include females too. Should work out mostly fine.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 23, 2014, 10:15:56 am »

I'm feeling pretty talkative today (thanks to the people who replied to me by the way). Oh well, anyway, we all know about the way you go on tangents when something you want to implement requires a framework that doesn't exist yet so you add it, and then it turns out this framework requires another addition that you add in too and so on (such as world activation requiring full-fledged sites requiring elf orchards requiring fruit etc.) so my question is, what circumstances led you to add the ability to geld? What more "tangential" features do you think will be added along the way?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 23, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

I'm feeling pretty talkative today (thanks to the people who replied to me by the way). Oh well, anyway, we all know about the way you go on tangents when something you want to implement requires a framework that doesn't exist yet so you add it, and then it turns out this framework requires another addition that you add in too and so on (such as world activation requiring full-fledged sites requiring elf orchards requiring fruit etc.) so my question is, what circumstances led you to add the ability to geld? What more "tangential" features do you think will be added along the way?

I don't think it was neccesarily any circumstances that led him to add it, he was just adding a commonly suggested thing.

As for tangenital features, some behavioral changes might be needed such as mate seeking. Though not to the point where they lust after the opposite sex, but I could imagine that bug showing up with all of your dwarves being hedonistic dwarves or something.

Not that having hedonistic dwarves would be a bug, but you have to find a point between too little and too much as far as game mechanics goes.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 23, 2014, 10:44:13 am »

Will gelding potentially change animal behaviour, making them less likely to fight for the pasture, for example?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 23, 2014, 01:44:40 pm »

i dont know if this has been asked or if i didnt saw it in the development plan but.

will adventurers be able to tame or buy domesticated creatures? i mean, like getting war/hunting dogs or even exotic pets as aditional support. also exotic mounts
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 306