Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872009 times)

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #615 on: October 17, 2014, 08:50:45 am »

Once the stepladder is done, can wheelbarrows and minecarts get the same carrying capacity/stockpile moving treatment?

What do you mean by that? I get the wheelbarrows part, but I thought minecarts already have a carrying capacity treatment?

By that I mean dwarves stack hauling tasks upon the container or tool used to carry said hauled item, instead of carrying them one at a time to the stockpile.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 17, 2014, 09:39:40 am »

Once the stepladder is done, can wheelbarrows and minecarts get the same carrying capacity/stockpile moving treatment?

What do you mean by that? I get the wheelbarrows part, but I thought minecarts already have a carrying capacity treatment?

By that I mean dwarves stack hauling tasks upon the container or tool used to carry said hauled item, instead of carrying them one at a time to the stockpile.
Well, the stepladder itself doesn't carry anything.  It's just a tool being added at the same time multi-item hauling is being tested.  This is mostly because having a Dwarf pick one apple at a time, and running each one down to a food stockpile 60m below ground, would be a bit silly.

My understanding of wheelbarrows is that it simply makes the hauled item "weightless" for movement purposes.  Therefore, multi-item hauling ought to work well with wheelbarrows once the fruit-picking tests are completed.

I have this funny mental image of a Dwarf struggling to push a heavily-laden wheelbarrow up a set of stairs, insisting that somehow this is easier.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2014, 12:48:18 pm »

Not easier. Dwarfier!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 18, 2014, 09:05:22 am »

Looks like he is finishing up, also:

Quote from: 10/17 devlog
some extra conversation options regarding the emotions of the person you are talking to and what they think about other people (including yourself).

Thank you! :D It'll definetly make it easier to understand (and perhaps analyze and bug check) peoples reactions and what the heck is going on or like why x attacked y.

Not a question, just saying thanks. :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 21, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »

Are fruits on trees going to work similarly to items for the game to have to track or will they be managed by the engine differently to avoid having hundred of new items spawning regularly on the map from the lots of tree that are usually around a fort ?

Will fruit be existing and harvestable in adventure mode (and will stepladders usable in there too ? ) ?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:59:09 pm by Robsoie »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 21, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »

You can already harvest fruit in adv mode, I thought? At least, you can harvest plants.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00:25 pm »

plants yes, but i don't remember seeing fruits from tree ?

edit : my bad, yes fruits too, never noticed that before :) .
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:01:56 pm by Robsoie »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2014, 04:01:52 pm »

(It's seasonal, but you can get fruit from trees currently in adv mode.  You'll be able to use a stepladder as an adventurer if you can get one from a fort, but since climbing is so easy for adventurers that doesn't really matter much for fruit.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:44 pm »

thank you, i never noticed fruits were already harvestable.
Hmm, some idea for roleplaying a merchant in my next adventures :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 21, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »

Yeah, in fact, when I climbed up a market tree that was apricot or pomegranate or something, it was in fruit and you can pick the fruit off of the trees.

You can also pick the flowers or catkins or whatever off of the trees when they're there.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 22, 2014, 02:22:45 pm »

He must be pretty busy lately since he hasn't updated the devlog in a bit. Though it's possible that there isn't anything particularily interesting or notable to report.

Wonder if he'll release on the 24th because Civ:BE also releases that day. Hopefully Mike Mayday updates his tileset soon after or Fricy at least posts the compilation soon after.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2014, 03:00:00 pm »

He was interested near the new release of Dwarf Fortress.  8)

Pseudopuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2014, 05:40:33 pm »

When do you decide it's time to work on the next major update? In a general way, I mean. At what point do you stop bugfixing and adding minor features and think "Yep, I think it's time to start working on DF20XX"?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:25 am »

"Yep, I think it's time to start working on DF20XX"?  -->  "Yep, I think it's time to start working on DF2XXX"?

Dwarves live longer than 100 :)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 27, 2014, 04:52:44 am »

What happened to FPS? I acknowledged it as the main opponent before - but it certainly did not need the buff.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 306