Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1872361 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4050 on: April 17, 2016, 07:17:33 pm »

Happy birthday mr Toady!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: April 17, 2016, 09:37:47 pm »

And a Happy Birthday , Toady !
Hope your brother, cat and illness are going well.

Well, hopefully the illness is not doing well, send those bacterial invaders to the arena and release the magma!

This seems obvious looking back but I can't confirm it as an absolute rule: do bandits only mug citizens in an area with/around a well?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:35:48 pm by Max™ »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: April 18, 2016, 02:23:58 pm »

Will all structures eventually appear in all settlements? Will we get temples in human dark fortresses and actual dungeons in goblin towns?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:47:22 pm by TheFlame52 »

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: April 18, 2016, 06:06:13 pm »

I want my army entirely of mad machete wielding child
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: April 19, 2016, 07:19:36 am »

Could we make elves slightly less useless? Let them forge magic weapons? Or maybe make them innatley attatched to bowmanship?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: April 19, 2016, 11:30:44 am »

Could we make elves slightly less useless? Let them forge magic weapons? Or maybe make them innatley attatched to bowmanship?

But they aren't useless. They're great for feeding dragons. :V

Or to be more serious, in fortress mode at least they're better as trading partners than as Fun opponents, as they do at least bring cloth (which is an annoyance to produce in quantity). Meanwhile in adventure mode, playing as one is an interesting give-and-take in that wildlife ignore you, but your starting gear is complete shit. Though the lack of a waterskin (no leather) will cause problems.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »

Cloth is easy to produce, and a common export of many players that don't want to abuse prepared food or trap component price explosions. Since they no longer bring seeds for some unfathomable reason, their main utility is bringing rare animals, which can be quite a benefit. 

Elves in worldgen are interesting in that they're the "zerg rush race".

Elves in fortress mode (petitioned for citizenship, that is) are interesting in that they're naturally friendly with wild animals, which makes them good animal trappers and tamers. Just make sure elves are alone when they might accidentally let that tiger loose, or they're the only one in the burrow to go set that cage trap right in front of a hungry tiger...

They used to be much more interesting, however, as they had a natural speed bonus that was much more significant and useful.

Since Threetoe's stories always showed elves having magic, though, I suspect that elves will eventually have some sort of druid magic available to them, if only some sort of tree-shaping spell, which makes them less of a lemming horde.  I doubt there will be mass-produced magic wood swords capable of going up against steel, however, for reasons already mentioned repeatedly in this thread. Instead, I suspect it would be more like "Hear me, oh nice mr. apple tree! Hold that dwarf down while our tiger allies maul him!"  (At which point, is triggered the dwarven AI for climbing up a tree, getting them stuck and unable to respond to tiger attacks...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: April 19, 2016, 12:24:47 pm »

Maybe. It might be just me, I find cloth production to involve more micromanagement to ramp up compared to dumping fuckloads of prepared food on a caravan to buy all the cloth I'll ever need. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: April 19, 2016, 12:46:58 pm »

Workflow FTW.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: April 19, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »

Oh I'm gonna get so damn hyped for this update. Just...so many things. All the things. I am concerned it might be too ambitious admittedly. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: April 19, 2016, 01:17:37 pm »

Elves bring three things of value:
- Underwear (the other source being "visitors" in the form of goblins and black towers. Many actual visitors are currently naked...).
- Exotic tame animals (not dragons, hydrae, or rocs, alas)
- Fruit (to round out your impressive booze cabinet contents)

They also provide the valuable garbage truck service of hauling off worn masterworks clothing (unless you're playing 0.42.06) and inferior quality goods (they can't haul off too much stone furniture, though, due to their lack of wagons).
Oddly enough, elves bring both woven and grown cloth items, but no bags, seeds (which require bags), or berries, and their grown barrels are always empty.

And I find cloth production to actually require less work on my part than selecting all that cloth from caravans...and I suspect it will be even less work with the Manager updates.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: April 19, 2016, 07:53:42 pm »

I forget people didn't add the necessary use plant product lines and brewing reactions to elves, but doing so is required for their taverns to function and have booze, and I assume for them to bring it with caravans.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: April 19, 2016, 08:21:48 pm »

I forget people didn't add the necessary use plant product lines and brewing reactions to elves, but doing so is required for their taverns to function and have booze, and I assume for them to bring it with caravans.

I could've sworn that they had those reactions though. o.O

EDIT: Double-checked, it seems they don't. Since they used to bring booze, I can't tell if that was a slip-up from when Toady un-hardcoded brewing, or if he intends for elves to be sober.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:23:55 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: April 19, 2016, 08:42:16 pm »

Toady must intend for them to drink tea, but hasn't gotten around to making the brew tea reaction in the raws...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: April 19, 2016, 08:55:48 pm »

Meh, we need kefir for dwarves though. Also, tea for dwarves and humans at the very least.

Would be nice if we had drinks that dwarves could drink and regard as better than right out of the well, but inferior happiness-wise to getting drunk. Plus it would be balanced by not sating their alcoholism.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 306