Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1855869 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1050 on: January 02, 2015, 10:10:21 am »

giant meter-long cloth shears.
....see, you say that, but all I see is "urist-long method of selectively removing limbs for !!Science!! purposes", strange.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »

Don't worry. The planepacked glitch existed before burrows, but the incarnation that Toady just fixed was for the Burrow version.
What I'm saying is a future release will introduce a similar bug, and you'll get your planepacked.

But no timeline on what feature could possibly rebreak the game.

I hope so. I never did my planepack either, was hopeing for lots of stuff first.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 02, 2015, 11:48:48 pm »

Planepacked was so awesome It allowed me to get rid of all my useless stone, Shaft of enlightenment was fun but i will acknowledge that it was to overpowered and made no sense, I would be upset if danger rooms were banished (or are they?) because both danger rooms and planepacked fit into the scheme of dwarf fortress (maybe not planepacked as much as Danger rooms). I always wondered if the SOE worked in adventure mode..

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 03, 2015, 01:23:15 am »

Never used the shaft of enlightenment but I think it works in adventure mode to.

I will agree that planepacked would fit as a feature nicely, just seems like something dwarfs would be able to do.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:34 am »

*Edited question to make my meaning more clearl. I'm mostly thinking in terms of those parts of the devlog:

Hill/deep dwarves
Entity populations surrounding your fortress in appropriate environments, both above and below ground
Ability to move dwarves in and out of surroundings
Relationship with surrounding dwarves
Ability to trade/demand food in depot or similar place with surrounding dwarves

Dwarven armies
Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves

As it stands right now we can embark on the opposite side of the world to the rest of our civilization. Presumably this could mean very long travel times when interacting with existing hill and deep dwarves especially when trying to set up armies or come to their aid? It also wouldn't make much sense for hillocks half-way across the world to be under the control of our barony when other dwarf baronies are already much closer. Will we eventually have dwarves founding hillocks in the vicinity of our own fortresses when we embark or as our fortress grows more powerful? If so do you envision this as something we control, perhaps sending some of our own citizens to found a new hillock, or will it be something the parent civilization does in the background? What if our surroundings are unsuitable for hillocks eg terrifying glaciers surrounded by goblin pits? What if our parent civ is dead(-ish)?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:20:35 pm by Darkweave »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 03, 2015, 05:48:04 am »

I'm going to risk being hammered by posting a suggestion right here . . . but I'll take the risk.

Why not use a mandate-like system for starting scenarios?
I mean, that is what a mandate is right?

You could get a mandate from your King in some scenarios, to ignore at your own peril.
It also gives the liason an extra function.

Too suggestiony:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 03, 2015, 11:23:33 am »

Let's say I embark at the opposite side of the world to my civilization's settlements/hills/halls. How are local hill dwarf settlements - so that we have some to interact with - going to be formed? Will some be founded when we embark? When we become a barony? Will some of our own dwarves request permission to go and form a hill site and then receive their own migrants from our parent civ? What if we embark on a terrifying glacier or have similarly unsuitable surroundings for hill dwarves? If our civ is otherwise dead when we embark are we effectively screwed when it comes to having hill dwarf interaction?

Dwarven hillocks, the hill dwarf sites, were added to the world in 0.40.01, so they're already out there waiting to be interacted with.

I'm going to risk being hammered by posting a suggestion right here . . . but I'll take the risk.

Why not use a mandate-like system for starting scenarios?
I mean, that is what a mandate is right?

You could get a mandate from your King in some scenarios, to ignore at your own peril.
It also gives the liason an extra function.

Too suggestiony:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The overlap has been noted:
Threetoe:    The next question is from Jacob, and he asks, "Will nobles give a better explanation why they want something?"
Toady:    Well, there isn't really much of a reason right now. They do have their preferences, where if they prefer a certain material, they'll ban its export and then demand that you make stuff out of it. And that's really all the reasons that we have right now. I think as the start scenarios and other things move forward, we'll probably slowly move away from arbitrary demands being one of the forces at work in your fortress and move it over toward things that actually make a little more sense. And then hopefully, by that time you won't need better explanations or we'll provide them when they're necessary.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 03, 2015, 11:31:38 am »

The overlap has been noted:
Threetoe:    The next question is from Jacob, and he asks, "Will nobles give a better explanation why they want something?"
Toady:    Well, there isn't really much of a reason right now. They do have their preferences, where if they prefer a certain material, they'll ban its export and then demand that you make stuff out of it. And that's really all the reasons that we have right now. I think as the start scenarios and other things move forward, we'll probably slowly move away from arbitrary demands being one of the forces at work in your fortress and move it over toward things that actually make a little more sense. And then hopefully, by that time you won't need better explanations or we'll provide them when they're necessary.
"When I was a lad, I know you and Mom couldn't afford a mini-forge for me to play with.  But now I'm mayor, and I'll have them now!  Tell the craftsdwarves to make mini-forges!  Bring them to..."
"Urist, we had just as much as anyone else in this Fort.  We didn't get you a min-forge because you're clumsy and you'd probably crush a hand."
"What?  These are perfectly safe for any dwarf.  See?  It's per--  Ouch!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 03, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »

Nvm, editing my question to make it more clear, will come back to it later.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:10:04 pm by Darkweave »

Virtual Russian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 04, 2015, 10:25:15 am »

Could we see an upgrade to the very young ceramics industry?  I am a professional potter and have some very simple/reasonable suggestions that would make it much more realistic.  I doubt any of these would require serious work and could be implemented quickly.

1.  Earthenware should be able to be glazed by lead.  It would consume galena, historically it was dusted onto earthenware pots and then glaze fired.  This is the only way to properly waterproof earthenware, ash glazes are for stoneware or porcelain and would leak on earthenware.  Tin is a colorant in glaze, tin glazed earthenware is actually a lead glaze.  Interestingly, a properly made lead glaze is safe for food.  So syndromes are not needed.

2.  Allow for production of mugs, potters live and die on mug production, it would be a nice addition.

3.  Porcelain should be more like steel.  It should require at least 1 fuel, 1 kaolinite and one flux stone.  Realistically it would also require sand.  Real Porcelain is the combination of Kaolin, Feldspar and Silica/sand.  This would probably increase its value further.  In the time period DF is supposed to imitate in European history porcelain was nearly worth its weight in gold.  The King of Saxony once traded a regiment of Dragoons to another King in exchange for some large porcelain vases. 

4.  Perhaps this isn't possible, but tin glaze is traditionally painted on with certain oxides.  Perhaps glazers could put imagery onto the ceramic the way it goes on clothes or the way crafts reference history.  Colours as follows:  Cobaltite gives blue,  Rutile gives yellow, Iron gives brown, copper gives green.  Traditionally these are processed, but use of raw materials would be fine.

If these were added we would have a much more realistic ceramic industry, though I am grateful its in the game at all.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 04, 2015, 10:34:22 am »

Those ceramics changes would be a great addition to the game. I second these changes.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1061 on: January 04, 2015, 10:35:35 am »

Could we see an upgrade to the very young ceramics industry?  I am a professional potter and have some very simple/reasonable suggestions that would make it much more realistic.  I doubt any of these would require serious work and could be implemented quickly.

*whispers*This needs to go to the suggestions forum, read the first post*whispers*
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 04, 2015, 10:37:38 am »

Then copy paste it into a new suggestions thread, or an old one if one already exists.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 04, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:08 pm »

I fixed a problem today which sometimes caused dwarves not to fight monsters/invaders, especially if there were lots of other dwarves in line-of-sight.

Praise the lord!  :P

Great to see this bug gone, it caused a lot of headache for quiet a few people.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 306