Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1856503 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1020 on: December 30, 2014, 03:26:57 am »

Quote from: smjjames
Have you checked about dwarves channeling under each other? I swear that this happens sometimes since they'll also deconstruct under each other and also stand on the tile being deconstructed. Though with the dwarves not channeling under themselves anymore, we'll just have to see if they still channel under each other.

I haven't looked at this.  I didn't remove the check for a dwarf for deconstructions, but it's possible it's broken.

I know it needs to be fixed.
But this problem is kinda cool.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133103.msg4754790#msg4754790
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 30, 2014, 08:50:53 am »

Have you switched to c++11/14? How much did it make a coding easier?
Both compilers he uses (MSVC 2010 and GCC 4.5) are from 2010, but both support some C++11 features. I'm not sure exactly which ones he uses, however.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:57 am »

I know this may sound a little odd but is it possible for non-lethal/fighting type grappling to ever become a thing, or even a planned feature?
It sounds strange the way I'm putting it so let me give you some examples.

I've felt like a jerk for a while because my companion got his foot cut off by a gobbo a while back, and he has no family or anyone to leave with, so I just let him crawl and follow me around. I want to be able to throw his arm over me and help him walk, or drag him away from dangerious situations.
That also brings up a few other things, like when a companion decides to take a dip in the river I jumped across, I really wish I could grab their arm and pull them out before they drown, or grab them as they jump for the less athletic ones.

Or even pick up a person and carry them, or just grab someone by the arm, like maybe someone put a bounty on you, or the guards need you to leave, maybe they can drag you out by the upper arm or even throat.

There's this:
Bloat271, DRAGGING PEOPLE AROUND, (Future): Ability to drag somebody around instead of releasing a wrestling hold when you move.

There's also at least one Suggestions thread that touches on the friendly aspect:
It would probably work with wrestling, being able to drag your opponent around, but i guess it would also help if your allies jump into a pool of water.You'd be able to drag them out, slowing down there inevitable deaths.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 30, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »

Great to hear that wealth is no longer going to be the only thing that attracts people to your fort.

How do invaders find their way to a fort now, do they have to path over other sites to get to the fort?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 30, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »

New devlog says one-tile forts will now be possible! This is good news, particularly as these forts will be independent of DFHack.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be trying one of those anytime soon but it could lead to more tower or 16x1 or 1x16 road fortresses.

I also fixed a crash that has been happening in unretired forts (generally when the caravan arrived).

Was this bug back in DF2010 or DF2012? I remember there was some kind of crash issue I'd had on one fortress that affected fortresses on windows but not the mac version of the game or vice versa, and that was in DF2012, I think.

How do invaders find their way to a fort now, do they have to path over other sites to get to the fort?

How do invaders find their way to a fort now, do they have to path over other sites to get to the fort? - KillzEmAllGod

I've put that in lime green and also put it out of quotes since I'd really like that one answered by Toady, if possible.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:28:41 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: December 30, 2014, 11:24:36 pm »

It was happening specifically in unretired forts, which you couldn't do before 0.40.01.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 30, 2014, 11:30:14 pm »

It was happening specifically in unretired forts, which you couldn't do before 0.40.01.

....... I had read that as "non-retired forts", which is why. But the crash-as-the-caravan-rolled-in bug did hit me once and on a succession game actually, so it is probably documented on these forums somewhere.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 30, 2014, 11:37:36 pm »

The bug Toady marked as resolved on the tracker was related to seed/plant discovery and wasn't platform-dependent.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 30, 2014, 11:41:22 pm »

....... I had read that as "non-retired forts", which is why. But the crash-as-the-caravan-rolled-in bug did hit me once and on a succession game actually, so it is probably documented on these forums somewhere.

Caravan arrivals have historically triggered a variety of crashes, many of which have since been fixed, so there's probably no connection.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 31, 2014, 12:59:03 am »

What techniques do you use to help you maintain such a large and sprawling codebase?

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 31, 2014, 02:19:58 am »

I became unnecessarily excited at the mention of 1x1 embarks after I read about it

[GETS_UNNECESSARILY_EXCITED]
[LIKES_1X1EMBARK]

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 31, 2014, 02:29:51 am »

Glad to hear 1x1 embarks are coming.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:07 am »

Toady, have you thought when/if you ever going to implement what in most people eye's might seem like two critical improvements to the code, that's it, 64 bits and multi-threading?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 31, 2014, 11:12:48 am »

he mentioned a 64bit possibility coming soon.

Threading  is such a huge can of worms you don't even know.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 31, 2014, 11:26:16 am »

multi-threading
Forget about it. No, seriously. This was done to death already zilion times here. It will NOT be done. You are welcome.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 306