Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gnome Fortress Layouts  (Read 1307 times)

Emoria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Gnome Fortress Layouts
« on: July 13, 2014, 02:40:09 pm »

Hey guys,

Much like a previous forum post regarding warlock dungeon setups, I was just wondering what/how you guys begin and continue to develop your gnome fortress.

I've read the Gnome Manual and found it a little lacking/confusing in the way a gnome fort should be set up.

If you could share how you deal with the first few years and what industry/construction you like to work on first it would be greatly appreciated to masterwork newbies like me!

Thanks in advance!

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnome Fortress Layouts
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:07:16 pm »

I always start on a brook, almost immediately get 10-20 waterwheels going along with stockpiling a bunch of fish.

The I dig down and start carving out my machine layout. After many forts, I've pretty much came up with the most efficient, least dangerous layout. After I get it dug out, I start building my arc furnace (ALWAYS start with the heavy machinery crate), sorting machine to sort out the bars, and a stonecutter to make some blocks, set up a stockpile that dumps all rocks into the arc furnace, then basically it's "done enough".

Then I'll set up some more waterwheels on the surface and hook them to a drilling rig that tunnels down into my 1 wide underground entrance. With enough power, the drilling rig is sufficient to stop all but the largest sieges.

And then it's time to start a militia and make some gadget gear.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:47 am »

There is a "everything gnome" topic already.

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:35 am »

I always start on a brook, almost immediately get 10-20 waterwheels going along with stockpiling a bunch of fish.

The I dig down and start carving out my machine layout. After many forts, I've pretty much came up with the most efficient, least dangerous layout. After I get it dug out, I start building my arc furnace (ALWAYS start with the heavy machinery crate), sorting machine to sort out the bars, and a stonecutter to make some blocks, set up a stockpile that dumps all rocks into the arc furnace, then basically it's "done enough".

Then I'll set up some more waterwheels on the surface and hook them to a drilling rig that tunnels down into my 1 wide underground entrance. With enough power, the drilling rig is sufficient to stop all but the largest sieges.

And then it's time to start a militia and make some gadget gear.
Could you post that less dangerous layout?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »

There is a "everything gnome" topic already.
I think this is going to have enough responses that posting it on the everything gnome thread would clog it up and make it difficult to have more detailed conversations about designs.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:20:48 pm »

Yeah, the forum rules I made up are just to stop people from making a new thread for a single question. You can still make threads about all kinds of other stuff, but I cant check every thread, and therefore might not see the question.

I had to do it because of this:

Mod releases forum (all mods combined, Masterwork excluded)
3960 Posts
95 Topics

Masterwork forum
6757 Posts
708 Topics

PS: It doesnt even count the posts in closed threads, the biggest one on the last page would add another 11233 posts alone. O.o
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:26:18 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:40:52 am »

Yeah, the forum rules I made up are just to stop people from making a new thread for a single question. You can still make threads about all kinds of other stuff, but I cant check every thread, and therefore might not see the question.

I had to do it because of this:

Mod releases forum (all mods combined, Masterwork excluded)
3960 Posts
95 Topics

Masterwork forum
6757 Posts
708 Topics

PS: It doesnt even count the posts in closed threads, the biggest one on the last page would add another 11233 posts alone. O.o

It's generally better to just have threads that aren't relevant fade away rather than just having megathreads where all of the information and discussion is impossible to find. I can understand having the megathreads for things you need to see, bug reports, etc...but if, for example, this entire thread was supplanted into page 12 of the 18 page gnome thread, it would be for all intents and purposes gone.

I mean, It's "your" forum, you can do as you please. But as a frequent forumer, and as a fellow developer (albeit on projects much larger than this), while directing everything to one megathread is marginally useful for you, it's completely counterproductive and detrimental to everyone else.