Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon trap located. Can I disarm it?  (Read 1907 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Weapon trap located. Can I disarm it?
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:35:07 pm »

Is it possible to disarm a trap once you have located it?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Weapon trap located. Can I disarm it?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »

It's called expendable partnerships. AKA- Redshirt Squads.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:58:38 pm »

You mean take its weapon? It automatically "disarmed" once you spot it, as your character won't trigger it anymore.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:02:15 pm »

It's called expendable partnerships. AKA- Redshirt Squads.
He he, redshirt squads (-:
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:04:24 pm »

once you spot it, as your character won't trigger it anymore.
Really? I was afraid to step on the trap, so I did not try. Having played a lot of Angband, I naturally was looking for a disarm command. Do we know which of your hero's skills influence the location of traps? Situational awareness, maybe?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:57:43 pm »

once you spot it, as your character won't trigger it anymore.
Really? I was afraid to step on the trap, so I did not try. Having played a lot of Angband, I naturally was looking for a disarm command. Do we know which of your hero's skills influence the location of traps? Situational awareness, maybe?

I think the Observer skill and/or the Spatial Awareness stat are the ones you should rely on. I might be wrong.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:11:26 am »

So if I'd put some points into those stats, I might have avoided that long sword through the guts?

Good to know for the future......

On the plus side, I no longer have to listen to my companions swapping horror stories!

(PS since when have traps been working in Adventure mode?)
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:34:33 am »

So if I'd put some points into those stats, I might have avoided that long sword through the guts?

On the plus side, I no longer have to listen to my companions swapping horror stories!

It's an init option and has been in since at least 2012.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:24 am »

It's an init option and has been in since at least 2012.

Ah OK - I didn't do a lot of adventuring then, and I've never been in a tomb before.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.