Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapon made using wood vs bare hands  (Read 2271 times)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon made using wood vs bare hands
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:25 am »

Hello. I have question, who propobly need new !!SCIENCE!!. Is weapon made from wood better than bare hands? Is anything changed if we're speaking about elves using them?

I was fighting with my wood equipment with skeletons in tomb, but i was beating one so long, as i pass out... because i was so tired.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon made using wood vs bare hands
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:12:21 am »

Wood is a horrible material but it better than nothing.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:14:41 am »

Depending on the wood type, wooden blunt weapons are actually rather decent at their job. Bladed weapons are still silly however, though if your proficiency in the weapon in question is better then your martial abilities, they're questionably the superior choice.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:52 am »

Judging by experience with attacking woodland critters with elven weapons, bladed weapons are inferior if you are less than about Adept at your bladed-weapon skill.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:15:58 pm »

My first and only experience with wooden weapons was a time I had started a new adventurer with no axe skills and I don't quite remember what kind of attributes or fighter skill they had. I found a wooden training axe in a bandit camp and decided to take it in case I ever wanted an intentionally bad weapon. There was one bandit left who still had no injuries. I immediately cut off the bandit's head in one shot. Aside from that I've never used them though.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:18:29 pm »

Well, fists seem to be fairly mighty at the moment so...
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »

If you're going to be an elf, you might want to consider being an archer. Wooden bows work just as well as metal ones, and are lighter.

Shooting ranged weapons is really irritating, though.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:57:45 pm »

I spawned with a copper spear as an elf in a forest retreat once, so I think something's changed about equipment gen--wasn't even a spearman either, he was a peasant with two ups in wrestling and no other combat skills (I was roleplaying a pickpocket elven immigrant to a human city).
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »

I spawned with a copper spear as an elf in a forest retreat once, so I think something's changed about equipment gen--wasn't even a spearman either, he was a peasant with two ups in wrestling and no other combat skills (I was roleplaying a pickpocket elven immigrant to a human city).
Spear is the default backup weapom, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:23:46 pm by Alev »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:55 pm »

I've been able to kill creatures by causing goresplosions through solid steel helmets WITH PUNCHES.
Your bare hands are weapons of sheer destruction.
I was able to destroy a goblin attack on a city by beating them to death without using the copper spear I spawned with.
I hold on to the spear when I need to butcher, though.
Unarmed combat is dangerous.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:46 pm »

I've been able to kill creatures by causing goresplosions through solid steel helmets WITH PUNCHES.
I was able to destroy a goblin attack on a city by beating them to death without using the copper spear I spawned with.

Oh, shucks, is a copper spear a default adventurer thing when you've got no weapon skills?  I feel a right derp here.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »

Oh, shucks, is a copper spear a default adventurer thing when you've got no weapon skills?  I feel a right derp here.
It actually has been since at least 0.34. The game forces you to have a spear made of copper if you lack weapon skill. Why? Spears of any kind (even wood!) are simple for extreme death-dealing.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:05 pm »

It actually has been since at least 0.34. The game forces you to have a spear made of copper if you lack weapon skill. Why? Spears of any kind (even wood!) are simple for extreme death-dealing.
Just beware those who have no internal organs or have no use for them, such as the undead and sponges.

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:28:06 pm »

I was able to kill with kicks to the upper body via collapsing
frequently too on a new character

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:45:09 am »

How do you people get that awesome kung fu? I wanted to do a martial artist, but I couldn't get past spending a whole hour punching herbivores(trying that against crocodiles is suicide) when a couple stabs with the default large copper dagger usually seals the deal. Even a test grandmaster kicker/striker in the object arena couldn't do much better.
Pages: [1] 2