Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One man Trek into the Ocean  (Read 826 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
One man Trek into the Ocean
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:37:56 pm »

so I learn something new about 40.0x bandits can't climb over walls.
to clear up what happen in the gif I snuck behind this bowman after created my character, only until now I realize he walking into the ocean,

the ice walls you see just sprang up seconds before I hit the recording. It wasn't there before, I don't think Eno cares or maybe he does, he was determined to reach his destination cross through many patrols without breaking his stride. But this obstacle stop him I can't blame him either because While I wonder if this trek to watch toady new AI work was worth it I realize he's just us.
 Eno is us back in the old days before 40.0x came out back before we learn how to scale over 1 z level walls and currently kinda glad he doesn't know how to climb because I know what's waiting for him beyond that ice cliff,
the Grand Maw. waits for him any any one who treks that far.
I know this because I tested out a idea on climbing with minecarts back in the last update and the ocean didn't like that.

also Eno is clearly hostile and will probably kill me if I attempt to talk to him since he walk this way all by himself thinking he was alone never looking behind, looking back to see another set of footprints.
every one else kinda saw me but I don't think they pointed it out to Eno.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So while I'm here and signs show that yeah the ocean will eat you if you scale over the walls again. so take Eno's trip as a reminder if you value your character's life don't wander deep into the frozen ocean.

ps. if I move any forward everyone in that square even Eno will be swallowed up by the ice.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One man Trek into the Ocean
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:54:07 pm »

"The outlaw bowman swears." Huh. Haven't seen that one yet. Is it new content or something exclusive to that mod?

Also, just what is this grand maw I keep hearing about? If it's some sort of boundary guardian it doesn't do its job well, I've gone to the edge of the map before with no trouble at all.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »

"The outlaw bowman swears." Huh. Haven't seen that one yet. Is it new content or something exclusive to that mod?

Also, just what is this grand maw I keep hearing about? If it's some sort of boundary guardian it doesn't do its job well, I've gone to the edge of the map before with no trouble at all.
It's probably part of the mod, I haven't seen it before.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »

the Grand Maw is what I call the anomaly of when the Frozen ocean section cavesin normally this results in a giant slab of ice to form creating a wall, other times it will break down and form a HUGE WALL that swallows you whole, instantly freezing you into a block of ice. I learn about this beast the hard way from testing out dfhack plugins on minecarts and seeing if I can ollie over the 1 zlevel high walls that if you throw a minecart on the edge of an 1zlevel high wall you can climb into it which I did to bypass the barriers lead to the Maw to grow more mad over not snacking on the creature on it's belly.

So that's why with the new brand spanking new climbing ability combine with jumping I'm expecting a bug report saying "Ocean got pissed and Ate me" or a thread saying "Dude the ocean ate me after I climb over it's walls"

the reason for the Grand Maw is due to the ocean is a huge biome that has it's land under several z levels of Water which act like Open space, just that the biome freezes water into a solid mass so there's a solid mass on top nothing in the middle and solid mass at the bottom, when an adventurer walks he loads in a new section of the map which depending on if the land mass ends up going deeper into the crust would cause the water levels to not match up and cause the section of the map to cave in which is similar to dropping ice into a glass of water but the air super freezes any water it touches. an Arctic eruption if you will.

uhh it's genesis

edit: so uhh I finally talk to Eno and ask why he was traveling

so now He's a companion I shove loads of corpses onto don't know where he keeps them since his hands are already full?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:22:59 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes