Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Confused by people's actions in adventure mode  (Read 7612 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confused by people's actions in adventure mode
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:09:24 am »

I just don't get it. Is there any way to figure out why someone is attacking me? To find out about their allegiance? To find out why this dozens of warriors ambush me, have a friendly talk with me about their important mission and then starting to beat me up in a non-lethal way? Everything is very confusing. I have no idea who belongs to whom, i.e. who I can attack without getting marked as a murderer instead of being celebrated as a hero that has vanquished a dangerous criminal?
I like the changes to the game (minus the outstanding bugs and crashes), but it confuses the hell out of me. Bandits are friendly. Town guard are trying to kill me.
Is there a way I can ask someone why he is beating me up? Or maybe why those other two guys are fighting right now? Or maybe why there is a dead goblin in the middle of the room I just entered, everyone is terrified and two guards are injured? Or why those apparently friendly-to-dwarves goblins flee from me, while the trader of my own civilisation begins to spit at me? How can I find out what motivates them do do these things?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by people's actions in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:14:46 am »

Everything is messed up, you can enter a goblin dark fortress and they start killing each other, go to a tower and the zombies kill the necromancers, walk around a friendly city and people run from you and children stab you in the back. Everyone spits at you, but always miss anyway, you can have a polite conversation and trade with a merchant while dodging his swinging knife. You pummel a bandit to death in front of his friends "Just now Urist McAdventure attacked Bandi Stealstuff" "It was inevitable".

It will get fixed eventually, but right now it's all a huge joke.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:26:19 am »

Ok, so I guess my best action would be to avoid sites of civilisations I like for now, and just lurk around goblin settlements while I watch them killing each other.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:40:46 am »

I miss the old version where people are sane.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:26 am »

You mean the one in which you kicked a chicken and everybody fearlessly tried to murder you?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:11:06 am »

I just walked into a new human town, went to the temple and talked to a priest. Learned about local troubles etc. I left and walked towards a nearby market. Suddenly I noticed the "broken arrow" mark appear nearby, several merchants drew weapons and became "no quarter" hostile to me and to a few others. The priest then drew his knife and started to chase me, saying "Never!" when I asked to cease hostilities.

I wish we could ask the NPCs how they feel about our adventurer.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:47 am »

You mean the one in which you kicked a chicken and everybody fearlessly tried to murder you?
Did the spirit of !!FUN!! die out around here or do you honestly prefer having 95% of all things not attack you when you attack them?

because getting an entire civilization on your ass certainly led to a lot of !!FUN!!
(i miss having everything want to murder me already)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:07:47 am by Bloax »

oh_no

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:05 am »

Did the spirit of !!FUN!! die out around here or do you honestly prefer having 95% of all things not attack you when you attack them?

because getting an entire civilization on your ass certainly led to a lot of !!FUN!!

Try increasing their BRAVERY and VIOLENT personality traits.

conductorbosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:59:03 am »

Try increasing their BRAVERY and VIOLENT personality traits.

How can I do this? I don't see them listed for dwarves/humans/elves. I don't want everyone to be a homicidal maniac but I would love for them to stop fleeing whenever fighting starts. Not even wild animals attack me in this build, and I started as a peasant and never brag.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:24:57 am »

People complain about this in every game. And I don't get it.

You kicked their chicken.
 How many chickens do they have? If that chicken can't lay eggs any more because you kicked it, they might all starve to death.
 If you go around kicking people's chicken of course everyone is going to murder you.

You're risking their food supply, and a man crazy enough to kick a chicken? what would he do next?
 Kick a child?
 Murder us all in our beds? He did just kick a chicken for no reason after all, just to do violence.
 You've got to put him down, he's a threat to the community.

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 10:08:45 am »

But in the old version humans are fearless, brave, sane and they had the perfect justice system.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

kittyfluffins

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is, in a word, dusk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:10 am »

Don't forget to sheath your weapon before walking around town.

I like the idea of having a conversation option to ask, "Why are you attacking me?" I don't know how all the emotions/allegiances work, but it would be useful even if it just displayed the last thing that happened that pushed them over the edge.

Also being able to ask how they feel about you would be great. I'd like for a way to be able to tell how a companion would react if I attacked someone as well. I once had three companions, and when I started strangling a lady one of them turned lethal towards me, one of them started helping by punching the lady, and the other stayed neutral and just watched.

kittyfluffins

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is, in a word, dusk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 10:45:01 am »

Actually I think the one that helped me was my hearthperson, and had a blue "Ally" tag next to his name when I looked at him. I don't think the others were listed as allys before I attacked.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:02:57 am »

Yeah things are weird, but...
        Did you by any chance walked with your weapons drawn? :>
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »

Noting that my test pacifist vegetarian human demigod outsider (skilled at running away and hiding) who doesn't carry weapons has not yet attacked or been attacked by anyone. On my way across the world to see if this holds true everywhere.
Pages: [1] 2