Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Memory leak?  (Read 974 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Memory leak?
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:11 am »

I'm not putting this on the bug tracker yet, because I'm not sure what this is.

This behaviour seems to be 100% related to DF. It only started yesterday after I started running this game.

I previously played many earlier versions of this without issue. Still have 34 here and it seems very different.

Upon loading 40.01 and now 40.02 (pheobus set)
My computer seems to get extremely slow. Not only does it get slow while the game is playing, even after the client has been long closed my system is behaving strangely.

My firefox scrolls slowly after running the game. Even a restart of firefox only fixes it slightly.
Minimizing and maximizing windows causes the windows aero to be very slow. It's like the windows are being minimized (you know the pop-up and pop-down effect) in slow motion. This persists after the game is closed.

While the game is playing, it seems very "slow". A new fort with only 7 dwarves seems to run slower than a v34 fort with 100 dwarves. Dwarf movements, etc are seemingly slower overall.

This behaviour corrects after restarting my machine. I never ran into this kind of issue with v34, but essentially starting my machine, then running DF for awhile and the machine seems extremely sluggish after and continues until being restarted.

Windows 7 x64
8 GB ram
Intel 760 @ 2.8 ghz

anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas what might be the cause?

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: Memory leak?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:24:20 am »

Admittedly I don't know particularly much about this, but I've used programs that did have uncontrolled memory leaks and the symptoms (things moving 'slow') tend to go away after you close/kill the process. It could be an indicator of something else going on, have you tried to play any other games and seen it happen? Or something else, such as a background virus scan going on at the same time, etc.

I've ran into no issues with the 40.01/2 releases so far (did get some FPS drop in 02, but I started genning/playing small or pocket worlds with very short history seemed to fix it). Using Win7 64 and 8 gigs as well, though my processor is different.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:26:03 am by Zeranamu »

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:57:55 am »

Yes, in the last couple weeks I've played a lot of Men of War: Assault Squad 2 and had no issues like this at all. It seems to be completely related to DF, and it's like something isn't being unloaded when the game is done. It seems much slower when the actual game is playing compared to v34 and doesn't clear up when it's done.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:13:25 am »

Which PRINT_MODE are you using? It's possible that the one you're using is causing some problems with your video card, which could certainly cause framerate issues and slow down other applications.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:12:13 am »

Also reminds me of overheating issues, perhaps? Just throwing that in here, though I seriously doubt it.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 09:42:49 am »

Which PRINT_MODE are you using? It's possible that the one you're using is causing some problems with your video card, which could certainly cause framerate issues and slow down other applications.
2D, standard for pheobus. and the same as in v34.

but wouldn't make sense why it continues to kill the machine until it's restarted.

Also reminds me of overheating issues, perhaps? Just throwing that in here, though I seriously doubt it.
Generally if it's going to overheat, it'd just go. and while it's summer here and my case temperature is slightly above normal, I'm not near overheating. Usually overheating isn't fixed by an immediate restart either. it would need time to cool down and the 30 seconds it takes to restart is usually not enough. I'd expect the same weird behaviour on restart and it doesn't. It really feels like over time it's eating up resources, and not releasing them when the game is exited.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:55:40 am »

Well I let my notebook turned on with DF running (but paused) before coming to work, and after 5 hours running it it isn't noticeably slow. (I'm usint splashto to access it now). The game process is using 450 MB of RAM. You should check how much memory DF's process is using.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:21:38 am »

I'd ask if you are using one of the starter packs with the tilesets pre-bundled or any other Java-based program (like soundsense).

I've found that Java sometimes does not 'play nice' with some of the 3rd-party tools that run alongside DF and it will cause any other program on your computer that is running Java or Java applets to grind to a halt (including Firefox plugins).  I don't know what causes it because it's hit and miss with me.  Sometimes I'll download a pack and everything will work just fine, and other times some packs cause stalls.  Usually completely removing the pack and the 3rd party items and redownloading it will fix my issues. 

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 10:54:17 am »

I'd ask if you are using one of the starter packs with the tilesets pre-bundled or any other Java-based program (like soundsense).

I've found that Java sometimes does not 'play nice' with some of the 3rd-party tools that run alongside DF and it will cause any other program on your computer that is running Java or Java applets to grind to a halt (including Firefox plugins).  I don't know what causes it because it's hit and miss with me.  Sometimes I'll download a pack and everything will work just fine, and other times some packs cause stalls.  Usually completely removing the pack and the 3rd party items and redownloading it will fix my issues.

As I mentioned i"m using pheobus. no soundsense or anything like that.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:12:21 am »

Strange question, but without phoebus?
Also, truetype font on/off?

Might be worth a try.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »

As others have said, id post a screeny of processes running during play and after you close the DF client.  Because guessing is all we're doing atm.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »

Yeah, my first thought on reading the OP was that possibly the DF process isn't terminating on exit like it should.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 04:22:52 am »

Yeah, my first thought on reading the OP was that possibly the DF process isn't terminating on exit like it should.

On that note, after saving, why not try forcefully ending the process in the task manager?
Still guessing, but if something works, then we can find the source easier.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 06:28:02 pm »

After all this, I ran DF for a couple hours yesterday and it seemed fine. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what goes on, but for 3 days my machine ran like molasses with it. If it's corrected that's great.