Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Village Massacre  (Read 1364 times)

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Village Massacre
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:13:49 am »

I understand that there are a lot of bugs but I need something made clear to me. Whenever I go on a massacre at a village, I keep having to press ALT+Y to confirm that I want to attack the person. I have to do that to every single person - in 2012 I could just make everybody hostile towards me and not have to worry about ALT+Y. Is there a way to bypass the ALT+Y usage or am I forced to use it until a fix is made?

I currently don't know if people are just legitimately afraid of me due to my high stats.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Village Massacre
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:17:42 am »

It does seem like villagers tend to stand around asking if there's a fight going on and commenting on the horror of death whenever one goes around randomly murdering folks, instead of fighting or running away.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 02:20:44 am »

There's also the matter of them no longer telepathically knowing of your crimes. You take some guy's head of the guy in the next hut won't know unless someone escapes to spread the word.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:22 am »

Or, optionally, you can carry the head around as a trophy--but yeah, no, dat alt+y is necessary AFAIK.

It has to do with the more sophisticated determination of fight-or-flight, or more commonly here now, inevitable indifference.  So maybe some dude is in the same group but murdered someone else's sibling etc. and so they think they're a cunt--that guy wouldn't logically aggro you for hitting him, maybe not even for offing him.

Unfortunately right now everyone's WAY to cautious, especially leaders, and so nobody properly pitches in except during an ambush.  It just needs a hard tweak, cause right now it's not a wait-a-few-years deal, it's an adventure-mode-is-neutered deal (not that it still can't be fun, it's just with all the new ish it could be so much more if the systems seemingly in place were mended).
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:24:39 am »

Well enemies currently behave in two ways:

They either don't do anything.
Or they run the hell away from you for seemingly no reason.

Rarely you may catch the glimpse of someone who actually actively tries to take you on.

in fact the only one in an entire goblin civilization who had the balls to just straight-up murder me was the big demon ruler of said civilization
all the goblins were just fleeing from me even with my weapons strapped onto my back and me being in a submissive (yielding) posture
the best part of this was that i could certainly acquire me a companion among the goblins
except not because the very next turn the companion status would disappear and the goblin would just keep running away

oh_no

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:18:08 am »

I've gotten very drastically differing behaviors regarding NPC hostility.

In one city I visited, I was shot with a crossbow by a goblin literally right as I walked into a tavern. Going back to that city with another adventurer, I visited the market and found it full of goblins who were either hostile to me or who were upset that I was there—or whatever. When I went to see the lady of the town, she kept trying to climb up a wall, and both she and my companions kept being alarmed about the fighting that had already ended. In the same world, I attacked a kobold camp, and none of the kobolds fought back, even when I attacked them. I also attacked a bandit camp, and it took some convincing for most of them to fight back, except for one guy who was outside the camp at the time. In another instance, I was "ambushed" by a "Troll Recruit" who did not see fit to attack me in any way.

I feel like this version is some kind of art project to make me feel bad for murdering NPCs in games, because it kind of works when everyone just gets alarmed and sad when I attack an "enemy," and the implications of my adventurer constantly having tears on her face are incredibly dark.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:19:57 am by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Epthelyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:20:00 pm »

It is currently possible to find a town, find the castle or whatever location the lord happens to be in at the time, kill said lord and claim control of the site. Currently the only reaction I've noticed was the 'guards' running around in a panic telling each other that "Not a quarter of an hour ago, X killed Y". I then proceeded to kill most of them and loot their armour without much resistance.

The only attack I had to defend against was jumping out of a panicked dwarf's "flight path" (or rather failing to) and skidding down a hallway on my lower body. I killed the other dwarf in the area (was a human site), took his crossbow and shot the 'attacker' in the back of the head, killing him.

Later in the same adventure I came across a goblin squad in the wilderness (you know, the ones that in 34.11 and earlier are actually fairly dangerous if you can't find their archer (if they have one)) who decided that attacking me was a good idea (Hooray!). They got 3 to 4 armour-blocked hits on me before I managed to bash their heads and/or necks into unrecognisable pulp.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:04:06 pm »

Then you have the guys with bows and crossbows who will run away but quickly fire a bolt into your leg.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:41 pm »

Then you have the guys with bows and crossbows who will run away but quickly fire a bolt into your leg.
NPC can now kite adventurers. They're evolving.
._.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 04:02:28 am »

NPC can now kite adventurers. They're evolving.

Can I sig this?
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg