Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I find vampires?  (Read 1205 times)

Leadpumper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How can I find vampires?
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:54:57 pm »

Since the quest system has been changed / removed, I've found it very difficult to find a vampire and become one myself. Since release, I've only been able to locate one; he passed me on the road and said hello. I have no idea how to replicate this good fortune.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find vampires?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:33:23 pm »

I'm curious, did he greet you on the road and volunteer his name?  How did you respond?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:48:56 pm »

Asking for directions can generally bring up a few whereabouts options, and they'll include "the human\elf\kobold\dwarf/goblin vampire" at the end so it'll be pretty obVii

Generally ask about troubles and night creatures and y'should catch wind of some.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »

I have slain multiple vampires in 40.01, all of which ambushed me in the woods and then promptly began to have a polite conversation with me.

They were absolutely shocked when I started hacking off their legs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 12:10:53 am »

Don't vampires have the alternate personality thing from dwarf mode? 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:24:35 am »

Some of them have, some don't. Bugi waked up when one was feeding from him... she was gargerous so i left she. She is human queen in capital. Bugi is killing gobos for her, because they are atacking capital every 3 days.

Still better love story than twilight...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:59:08 am »

It's slightly dependent on on the history length. I've had good results walking into ambushes at night.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 08:05:15 am »

I've played two worlds in adventure mode. In the first, the law-giver of the civ I started with was a vampire. Everyone volunteered the fact when I asked them about the local ruler. After I outed her, she disappeared and I haven't bothered to track her down.

In the second, I heard about a vampire living in some hamlet from the leaders of the capital city/civ. They volunteered the information; I didn't know what to ask about to get them to talk about a vampire.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 09:49:47 am »

Here's my steps to finding a vampire:
0.Get quest/have knowledge of vampire.
1.Ask directions to the site he's in.
2.In the site, ask people for directions to him. They'll likely say "in a hut/tree to the X"
3.Go to X on travel map, ask again, you should be able to find the hut he's in eventually (I do this: go to middle of town, ask direction. Go 1 tile on travel map, ask there. If it's still towards X, repeat. If it's now direction Y, stay in that area [without travel] and go towards the first building towards Y. Ask there. If you found the right building, it should now say "He should be right around here somewhere").
Greet everyone in the building one-by one. So far, I know two behaviours; a.) the vampire doesn't move at all; b.) the vampire constantly moves.
In behaviour b, it shouldn't be hard to find him, just look for the guy running around like a headless chicken.
In behaviour a, you should find it.
4. If you didn't find, wait in that building (preferably doorway, so you can see if he's moving outside), greet all again.

Good hunting.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 10:47:43 am »

Oh hey! Make sure to hamstring it. Hit it in the foot or leg or something. They run like they are on rocket skates if they decide that they are losing. It'll escape, and then you get to track it down, which can be a pain.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:19 am »

Oh hey! Make sure to hamstring it. Hit it in the foot or leg or something. They run like they are on rocket skates if they decide that they are losing. It'll escape, and then you get to track it down, which can be a pain.

I found that it's near impossible to get near them by default, because they're ALWAYS running (even though they should have NOFEAR?). Don't forget to look for people climbing house walls, that's usually a vampire. And it's a good time to strike.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »

Yeah, I think Vamps are just always sprinting everywhere; not sure it has anything to do with FEAR.

Anyway, legstabs are necessary if you want your mark.  DON'T ACCUSE OF BEING A NIGHT CREATURE.  If they admit to being the person who's a Vampire, just fucking get the drop on them--they'll be halfway across the fastravel tile before you hear them shouting back about the many foes they've vanquished in their lust for blahblahblah.

Take a throatshot if you're feeling confident in your ability to hit, but even then I've had freaking goblins take a throat shot from a silver pike, have it open arteries and chip the spin\tendons, and they kept running--so legs are perhaps the new gold standard.  Additionally, I noticed more people knocking out from pain due to leg stabs than neck stabs.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:20:04 pm »

Step 1) Remove feet
Step 2) Step back
Step 3) Eat food, watch vampire bleed out.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:22:47 pm »

I think their crazy maxspeed running is a combination of them seeing cavern creatures and being able to run at max speed forever, without tiring.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Leadpumper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:22:01 pm »

Update: Tracked the only vampire in my small world across the entire continent, found him, and drinking his blood has no effect on me now. Is it because it's raining? Do I have to be [thirsty] when I drink it?
Pages: [1] 2