Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Kobolds have diffrent colour variations or just vanilla?

Brown and wrinkly Vanila please!
- 4 (36.4%)
RAINBOW!
- 2 (18.2%)
Different colors like white, black and green would be nice...
- 5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: kobold camp 2014  (Read 2336 times)

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
kobold camp 2014
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

Is there an easy way to update the Kobold camp mod? I know you can play as kobolds in masterwork but there is too much fluff. i am talking about the original Kobold camp.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:48:01 pm by mangulwort »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: kobold camp 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:22 pm »

Unless you or someone else wants to remake it, no, there is no easy way. alot things will have to been to done to update it to 40.xx. It's sad, now that trees are bigger and badder(they crush dwarves and make birds explode!) wooden villages would be so much easier to construct, and not even the complicated masterwork has been updated.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:12 pm »

I will give it a try... It seems that Toady updated Kobolds quite a bit! They are now more "greedy"  and have less empathy. Probably due to so many of their friends dieing they have gotten used to it. They also have horrible range ability and are stronger and tougher! Very interesting.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:00:34 pm by mangulwort »

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:48:18 pm »

I would like to make a go at making Kobold camp but is there anything i should know about the new version? Like can kobolds use spears and bows now?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:10 pm »

I would like to make a go at making Kobold camp but is there anything i should know about the new version? Like can kobolds use spears and bows now?

Look at their raws, it will tell you.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:03 am »

Kobold camp for an otherwise vanilla DF install would be nice

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:54:56 pm »

Should kobolds wear thongs?   :P

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »

I had been craving some Kobold Camp and started updating the 2012 version before but got distracted. This thread reminded me to come back to and try to finish it, which I think I have succeeded in doing. I'm going to test it for bugs later and then upload and release it if it looks good I guess.

I guess I can take requests in the mean time?

It seems that 2012 removed the [ITEM_THIEF] tag, making Kobolds friendly to Dwarves, Elves, and Humans, but hostile to Goblins. Is this how people like to play their Kobolds these days? Otherwise I was thinking of creating some new [ITEM_THIEF] trading partners for them, but I wonder if that would bee too "chocolate" for some players. Thoughts?

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »

I had been craving some Kobold Camp and started updating the 2012 version before but got distracted. This thread reminded me to come back to and try to finish it, which I think I have succeeded in doing. I'm going to test it for bugs later and then upload and release it if it looks good I guess.

I guess I can take requests in the mean time?

It seems that 2012 removed the [ITEM_THIEF] tag, making Kobolds friendly to Dwarves, Elves, and Humans, but hostile to Goblins. Is this how people like to play their Kobolds these days? Otherwise I was thinking of creating some new [ITEM_THIEF] trading partners for them, but I wonder if that would bee too "chocolate" for some players. Thoughts?
I have been doing the same! I am trying to make my version as close to vanilla as possible, only adding necessary additions. What are you trying to do?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:29:12 pm by mangulwort »

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 05:34:04 pm »

I have been doing the same! I am trying to make my version as close to vanilla as possible, only adding necessary additions. What are you trying to do?

Same. Basically I have just been updating the raws from the 2012 version to the best of my ability. Everything seems to be working at this point, but I haven't tested deeply. Might upload what I've got anyway so others can enjoy and use/improve it.

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:30 pm »

I dislike the 2012 version. It strays too far away from vanilla. I also plan on adding a few interface things from Toady's game Kobold cave.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »

I dislike the 2012 version. It strays too far away from vanilla. I also plan on adding a few interface things from Toady's game Kobold cave.

Which version do you think is the best? I am enjoying this version but I do think it could be improved on.

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 08:25:06 pm »

I do not know what is the best because i only played the latest one. It adds unnecessary outfits and buildings like the critter kitchen and the training yard and adds too many jobs to the kobolds. Kobolds should not know how to carve gems and make glass!

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »

I do not know what is the best because i only played the latest one. It adds unnecessary outfits and buildings like the critter kitchen and the training yard and adds too many jobs to the kobolds. Kobolds should not know how to carve gems and make glass!

I agree, that was my first thought. I don't think kobolds should be able to work metal and all this nonsense. It's far too complex. Definitely going to trim the fat off of this and rework it a bit.

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:25 pm »

I agree, that was my first thought. I don't think kobolds should be able to work metal and all this nonsense. It's far too complex. Definitely going to trim the fat off of this and rework it a bit.
The whole point of Kobold Camp is that it's WAY simpler than Dwarf Fortress, with many fewer things to worry about. No mining, no smelting, no forging, no weaving, no glassmaking, no soap/potash/extractions, less of everything.
Pages: [1] 2