Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Df2014 necromancers  (Read 3278 times)

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
Df2014 necromancers
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:40:30 am »

Just met my necromancer in .40.02.  The dead were raised. I thought I was ready. I was wrong. Fully armoured dead eleven warriors with bronze weapons and armour. Boy did I underestimate them! Military dwarves all dead.  They did not even land a blow. !FUN! :-)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Df2014 necromancers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:13:53 pm »

That's right, undead aren't those fragile things whose only strength is in numbers anymore. The armor and weapons are just a bonus, they are deadly without them, too.
On the other hand, they can't be resurrected unlimitedly anymore, so I at least there is a chance that they stay dead after re-killing them.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:33:58 am »

"The dead walk," truly does inspire the terror it should now. The first time you face any kind of giant zombie animal in the new version will be something you never forget.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33:21 am »

The new undead ws one of the things I was most excited about experimenting with in fortress mode. Coupled with the new morale system, new style necromancers and ease with which heads pulp it has been shockingly !FUN! 

Need to badly rethink tactics... Currently don't see a at to deal other than heavier reliance on traps and turtling while training up discipline?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:56 am »

Crossbow dwarves behind fortifications with a near endless supply of ammo along with traps and such. Melee dwarves will work but they will need to be very well trained and well armed. I hear the undead are now actually harmed by fire and magma but I have not tested it myself beyond dragon fire which does seem to work very well.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:02:37 am by Melting Sky »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:50:35 am »

Just tested it in arema, Magma indeed can kill undead corpses, but it takes a while...

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

Anybody seen undead crossbow wielders?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 04:59:38 pm »

I had one accompany a single necromancer... sent my 3 man militia to kill them, and they were all taken out by the zombie... don't remember it shooting at all, but it sure was a good fighter.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:29 pm »

Yeah, I've found out the hard way that the new undead are back to the Fun versions that were present in older versions.

Behold, huge logs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, this was after I had the briiiight idea of dumping the corpse in that guy's lap to oust him as a necromancer, because he was just chilling in the local lord's manor and no one gave a shit. He wasn't even the guy in charge, just some guard.

Compare to the fellow soldier and hearthperson that provided the test subject, who my comrade murdered with a headshot the instant I said hi to him, just because he was a goblin.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:32 pm »

The undead seem to be insanely capable fighters in this version. Maybe I just had more cannon fodder attackers in 34, but I've had way too many problems fighting animated dead as an adventurer this time around. They're surprisingly good at parrying with their cheap knives. Doesn't help that pain in general is a lot more dangerous and leads to instant blackouts if you manage to crush a body part.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 11:00:07 pm »

Read the Zombie Survival Guide. You're not supposed to engage the undead in melee to start with.  :P This calls for crossbows and trenches full of magma.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »

Read the Zombie Survival Guide. You're not supposed to engage the undead in melee to start with.  :P This calls for crossbows and trenches full of magma.

Do bolts actually have an impact on the undead now?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »

The undead seem to be insanely capable fighters in this version. Maybe I just had more cannon fodder attackers in 34, but I've had way too many problems fighting animated dead as an adventurer this time around. They're surprisingly good at parrying with their cheap knives. Doesn't help that pain in general is a lot more dangerous and leads to instant blackouts if you manage to crush a body part.

Yeah, plus they seem to shrug off everything short of flattening their skull if you have the misfortune of wielding a blunt weapon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »

Yeah, plus they seem to shrug off everything short of flattening their skull if you have the misfortune of wielding a blunt weapon.

Just cut off all the limbs that make them dangerous. Sure the hands and such will get reanimated, but they'll be slow enough you can evade them.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »

Just cut off all the limbs that make them dangerous. Sure the hands and such will get reanimated, but they'll be slow enough you can evade them.

Less effective when you play a maceman. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: [1] 2