Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glacier Castle  (Read 558 times)

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glacier Castle
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:28 am »

It is possible to build an aboveground castle (with rooms) in the glacier without freezing my dwarves to death?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glacier Castle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:03:20 am »

It is possible to build an aboveground castle (with rooms) in the glacier without freezing my dwarves to death?
First things first "Is it x"

It was last version, I don't think toady added anything to change it.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:11:17 am »

The dwarven beard is the perfect environmental regulator, allowing them to live comfortably at temperatures just short of melting all the way down to absolute zero.

Dwarfs in space, baby.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:36:29 am »

If you build _in_ the glacier (i.e. carve rooms out of the solid ice), it counts as underground. "Inside the glacier" underground is cold - below freezing - but not dangerously so. Dwarfs survive fine in such an ice castle (and you can smooth and engrave it). All lye, water and milk stored in the area will freeze solid after short exposure, so you might want to move your cheese- and soapmaking facilities downstairs, into the stone layers. Hospitals can be in the ice layers, water for hosital use is used quickly enough that freezing isn't a problem.

Building _on_ a glacier would be aboveground - i.e. digging up boulders and constructing walls and ceilings from them (can be ice boulders from the glacier). Haven't tried this, but if the outside is deadly cold, i suspect aboveground buildings will be, too.