Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 87

Author Topic: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - The Dark Age Has Ended  (Read 79509 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 8
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:19 pm »

Doo-doo-doo~

Sorry Maharadja, but that was simply too tempting for me to pass up, regardless of how I wanted to go about fulfilling my Wincons. Those floodplains should make an excellent addition to my nation.

Sidenote: So, I'm wanting to edit the ruleset for my Asian based game, but I can't create new graphics to represent Wood, Metal, or Void Mana, unfortunately. I can probably replace pegasi with elephants or somesuch fairly easily, but...I dunno.

I'd also like to know if there's a way I can create a building that acts as a unit during assaults on the city, and affects the behaviour of units besides itself, as well as the unit itself starting/staying only one tile in front of the rest of the units(I want to change the way Walls work, okay?). Ways to have magic/buffs that cancel each other out passively, or units that get big buffs against certain other kinds of units...knowing what all the specials do exactly would be nice as well(what does Charge and Chargebreak actually do?)). I think I can see how to make new buffs, but what are buff modifiers? I remember Vanigo mentioning them when he was talking about the order in which things resolve.
For the wall thing: Impossible without editing the source code.
For buffs that cancel each other out: Easily possible. Some buffs are higher priority then others (eg. blessing 2 overrides blessing 1). You could use this to create buffs that negate hostile buffs, or remove negative auras on your units.
You can make positive/negative auras and attack modifiers that only effect certain unit types, but there is currently no way to make attacks hurt a specific unit type more.

Buff Modifiers: Not quite what you mean by them, if you link Vanigo's post talking about them I'll try to explain what he means better.
Literally the only useful thing I can suggest do other than say that some of that will require access the source code, is what I think charge/break does. If a charging unit has moved before attacking, it gains a bonus to its Attack relative to it's Charge value. If a chargebreak unit is charged it both negates some or all of the charge bonus and I believe it also deals out of turn damage to the charging unit.
It'd be really nice to know how the attack/defense calculations worked, too, since I see all these 'but did no damage' or 1 or 2 damage, and then suddenly, like, 8.
A attack deals 1d'attack'-1d'defense' damage. If defense is equal to or greater then attack a attack deals no damage. This means that many attacks deal no damage and then can suddenly deal a huge amount of damage if both a high attack roll and very low defense roll is rolled at the same time. Magical attacks use magic attack and magic defense stats instead.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »

Ah. Interesting.

So higher attack becomes progressively less and less helpful, and even weak units can score hits on ridiculously tough ones through luck.

Thus the strategy of sheer overwhelming numbers could theoretically be viable. If you have enough of them.

So, which of the wall things is impossible? I want to see how I can make this work, if possible. Basically I'd like walls and the like to act as a shield for ranged units(melee units would sally forth, of course), and siege weapons would get bonuses to destroying them(they'd have high enough defenses and the like that doing so any other way would be more difficult). Or perhaps I could achieve the same thing by making it so it slows down enemy units significantly unless they can fly. (Cavalry not much use against walls)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08:46 am »

RP If you attack northumbia, I will back stab you... Just a warning
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2014, 05:21:52 am »

Rp if you take York I more or less have lost the game. Which means that I have nothing to loose. If you attack me I will let the Pics attack plunder and conquer my northern border. Making them stronger and more prone to challenge you. WHILE sending my army back to retake York and attacking your armies untill I am out of mone or soldiers.

So, yeah, its a bad move.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:27:01 am by Evil Marahadja »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 5
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:28 am »

Spoiler: 622 AD (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle Reports (click to show/hide)

In 622 AD, Coenwulf marched into York. The pope would not like this, good kings fighting one another, but who could argue with such might? He slew the levy of spearmen, green boys to a one. The city was his for the taking...

Turn 9: 623AD

Player interface
Admin Interface

Spoiler: Win Conditions (click to show/hide)

Mercia - Rolepg
Wessex - Varee
Northumbria - Evil Marahadja
Wales - Zanz
Ireland - Lemon10
Pictland - Kashyyk

Pro tip: combining your units into large armies is a great way to maximise your chance of victory.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 9
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2014, 05:46:45 am »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:03 am »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:45 am »

I get the feeling that this map was balanced too well, what with giving two players tier 3 units at the start (swordsman) when others only have tier 1's and those same players now have at least two pop 5 cities.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:31 am »

I have a feeling certain player need to team up ie me and north as we are both anglosaxxon?>

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2014, 10:57:12 am »

The idea is for there to be imbalances in territory and alignments, but make some wincons harder to achieve than other, encouraging alignments and political backdeals etc. We'll see if that's successful or not.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2014, 01:45:48 pm »

Spoiler: Ireland turn 9 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ireland Turn 10 (click to show/hide)

Ah. Interesting.

So higher attack becomes progressively less and less helpful, and even weak units can score hits on ridiculously tough ones through luck.

Thus the strategy of sheer overwhelming numbers could theoretically be viable. If you have enough of them.

So, which of the wall things is impossible? I want to see how I can make this work, if possible. Basically I'd like walls and the like to act as a shield for ranged units(melee units would sally forth, of course), and siege weapons would get bonuses to destroying them(they'd have high enough defenses and the like that doing so any other way would be more difficult). Or perhaps I could achieve the same thing by making it so it slows down enemy units significantly unless they can fly. (Cavalry not much use against walls)
Well, a unit with twice as much attack and defense is far more then twice as powerful, so while mass numbers work, it can take a huge number of lower tech units to overpower stronger ones (eg. a dozen spearmen would be massacred by two upgraded mithril units).

As for the wall thing: You cannot have a building that has any effect on the battle besides adding a simple defensive modifier. The other stuff you want the wall to do (stop all friendly ranged units from passing it, starting in the middle of the field despite never moving) is even more impossible. Modding the source code could work though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:09 pm »

I have a feeling certain player need to team up ie me and north as we are both anglosaxxon?>
Good luck with that, Wessex. Both you and Northumbria have your units too far away to mount an effective attack before I can build up a response. You'll only send your King to his death by attacking me.

As well, Lemon; that's partially because of the amount of health such a unit would have. A swordsman versus four or so spearmen would probably be an even fight. The only reason such units might be considered to be 'more than twice as powerful' is because weaker units can get torn apart more quickly and thus have some of their attack power weakened. If none of the spearmen died until all of the spearmen died(assuming minimal wasted damage), it would be a very different story.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:51:24 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »

Good luck with that, Wessex. Both you and Northumbria have your units too far away to mount an effective attack before I can build up a response. You'll only send your King to his death by attacking me.

As well, Lemon; that's partially because of the amount of health such a unit would have. A swordsman versus four or so spearmen would probably be an even fight. The only reason such units might be considered to be 'more than twice as powerful' is because weaker units can get torn apart more quickly and thus have some of their attack power weakened. If none of the spearmen died until all of the spearmen died(assuming minimal wasted damage), it would be a very different story.
*Shrugs*. Yeah, if everything had more health then there would be less of a difference between higher and lower tier units. There are few factors that make units with higher stats better then lower ones, especially given that higher tier units usually have better of every single stat then lower tier ones.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »

Well. Like I said, I have no real chance If I loose my main city. So it will be worth sending all my units down to wreck as much havoc as possible in your lands. Even if you ultimately win, it will be a breese for Scotland to attack you while your week. Especially since he can expand down south un-attacked.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 87