Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87

Author Topic: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - The Dark Age Has Ended  (Read 79535 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 20
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2014, 08:09:45 am »

Spoiler: 634 AD (click to show/hide)

The Irish prepare to eject the foreign raiders from their shores while the Northumbrian spread their tendrils across the land. The Mercians find themselves in a pinch, caught between the Picts to the north and Wessex to the south. The Welsh, peaceful behind Offa's Dyke and in the wilds of Dumnonia, tap new mines and slowly build their wealth.

Turn 21: 635AD

Player interface
Admin Interface

Spoiler: Win Conditions (click to show/hide)

Mercia - Rolepg
Wessex - Varee
Northumbria - Evil Marahadja
Wales - Zanz
Ireland - Lemon10
Pictland - Kashyyk

Lemon
Well, looks like I lose the game. Or at least I can't win. Being able to colonize 80% of Ireland by turn 50 would be difficult even without someone burning my villages. With it and me having to pump resources into an army I don't have a real chance at claiming 80% of Ireland even if I do easily kick evil majarada off the island. That doesn't mean I am going to roll over and die of course, but I feel it necessary to note that I can no longer win.
I've done the maths, there's a 130 Ireland tiles and you've got 46 of them and you need 104. You're averaging +3 pop a turn, even if you had just +2 pop a turn you'd still get there within the time limit with a bit of wiggle room for razing. Remember if you conquer Northumbrian cities, you can appropriate their population (and obviously the tiles they take up). I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it's definitely still possible. Remember you also win if all the other factions are defeated, if you think that'd be an easier wincon. That all said, I'd be willing to switch the Irish wincon to be the same as the non-Irish take-over-Ireland wincon. This is all quite experimental and I don't expect everything to be wholly balanced right out of the gate.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 21
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2014, 02:33:53 pm »

Well, looks like I lose the game. Or at least I can't win. Being able to colonize 80% of Ireland by turn 50 would be difficult even without someone burning my villages. With it and me having to pump resources into an army I don't have a real chance at claiming 80% of Ireland even if I do easily kick evil majarada off the island. That doesn't mean I am going to roll over and die of course, but I feel it necessary to note that I can no longer win.
I've done the maths, there's a 130 Ireland tiles and you've got 46 of them and you need 104. You're averaging +3 pop a turn, even if you had just +2 pop a turn you'd still get there within the time limit with a bit of wiggle room for razing. Remember if you conquer Northumbrian cities, you can appropriate their population (and obviously the tiles they take up). I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it's definitely still possible. Remember you also win if all the other factions are defeated, if you think that'd be an easier wincon. That all said, I'd be willing to switch the Irish wincon to be the same as the non-Irish take-over-Ireland wincon. This is all quite experimental and I don't expect everything to be wholly balanced right out of the gate.
Heh. Taking over the world within 50 turns is impossible for Ireland. Now, if I had 100 turns with which to do it, it would be possible (if insanely hard).
I'm willing to tough it out with my current wincon. I might not be able to win, but its worth a try.
Your calculations are wrong though, I don't get 3 pop per turn. I have 51 pop at turn 21, which is just about 2.5 pop. That's only claiming river tiles and making two cities. With almost all of the river tiles claimed, I only have less productive riverless plains and hills to claim. I am also going to need a bunch of small cities to build farms everywhere (which will probably cost like 10 more pop). Now, you are right, I still have a chance at achieving my goal, but it's going to be tough.

My only real balance complaint for this game is those swordsmen. They are strong enough that they overshadow pretty much all units that could be produced by a player in the time it takes them to attack. They weren't gamebreaking though, since most of the people had them, but they still had a huge impact on the game for those who didn't start with one. Maybe having them only be defensive (eg. can't leave your territory) units would have been better.
Spoiler: Ireland turn 21 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ireland turn 22 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:33:42 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2014, 05:44:42 pm »

I think I'll just throw a tiny bump in here...
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 17, 2014, 07:07:51 pm »

Sorry, was away for the weekend

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2014, 08:40:41 pm »

*Strokes mustache menacingly*.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2014, 07:30:34 am »

Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:51 am »

Just RoleP now.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2014, 01:14:40 pm »

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Age - A Vanigo Empire Game - Turn 22
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2014, 06:33:05 pm »

Spoiler: 635 AD (click to show/hide)

In 635, the various armies repositions, spread out, manoeuvred. Plans were drawn, figures pushed on maps in smoky tents, arrow points sharpened and horses corralled. There would yet be a reckoning.

Turn 22: 636AD

Player interface
Admin Interface

Spoiler: Win Conditions (click to show/hide)

Mercia - Rolepg
Wessex - Varee
Northumbria - Evil Marahadja
Wales - Zanz
Ireland - Lemon10
Pictland - Kashyyk

Remember, if you are thinking of attacking, it's mechanically more advantageous to combine your men into a single army, rather than having lots of armies on the same tile (as they'll each attack separately).

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2014, 06:51:55 pm »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2014, 08:34:49 pm »

Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:40 pm »

Spoiler: Ireland turn 22 (click to show/hide)
The royal heirs march from Irada, and soon they will unite with their father to drive out the Northumbrian scum from the shores of Ireland.
((No offense intended of course to any Northumbrians reading this)).

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2014, 02:13:54 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 87