Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Climbing saves lives  (Read 6820 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Climbing saves lives
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:04:48 am »

I was digging my moat, a trench down to the aquifers, and while my miners were digging up the top of the aquifer I got the "dangerous terrain" cancelation, however nothing was canceled and no miners had drowned. For a moment I thought I saw the flying over the water, the I realized they were actually climbing out. I hope goblins wont be able to cross the moat, since it has water at the bottom and they would have to cross it (4 tiles wide).

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing saves lives
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:57:45 am »

That's cool.

Now what do we have to do to force fort Dwarves to learn to climb, keep all the booze at the top of a multi-z plateau?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:14:52 am »

As far as I have seen the climb rock walls without problem. Maybe they ust have trouble with trees (damn elves must be behibd this).

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:49 am »

I suppose the thing to try is to channel out a deep 1-z shaft. Once the miner gets sick of mining, he'll find himself at the bottom of a deep hole and have to climb out ;).
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:41:17 am »

It's saved me several miners killing each other with inopportune channeling so far. It's terrific!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 06:44:02 am »

It's probably ended more than it's saved. My expedition leader shortly after arrival decided to go for a nice leisurely tree climb then saw a scary bird, lost his grip, and fell several z's to the ground causing his finger and foot to explode.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:39 am »

I suppose the thing to try is to channel out a deep 1-z shaft. Once the miner gets sick of mining, he'll find himself at the bottom of a deep hole and have to climb out ;).
This comes to mind.

By the way, climbing skill gain is bugged: the only way you could train it is by grasping for available surfaces while falling, or by losing hold of a surface. Dwarves don't do the former even when falling a lethal distance, so you'll need some way to make them try to climb and fail over and over again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:58:44 am by HmH »

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:38 am »

I was digging my moat, a trench down to the aquifers, and while my miners were digging up the top of the aquifer I got the "dangerous terrain" cancelation, however nothing was canceled and no miners had drowned. For a moment I thought I saw the flying over the water, the I realized they were actually climbing out. I hope goblins wont be able to cross the moat, since it has water at the bottom and they would have to cross it (4 tiles wide).

You could place a floor over both of the cliff edges.
Speaking of which, I noticed that spiders and such get legendary climbing skill naturally.
But I don't think that's enough, I think they should be able to traverse ceilings.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:38:41 pm »

This comes to mind.

By the way, climbing skill gain is bugged: the only way you could train it is by grasping for available surfaces while falling, or by losing hold of a surface. Dwarves don't do the former even when falling a lethal distance, so you'll need some way to make them try to climb and fail over and over again.

Perhaps one could combine a swimming trainer with a climbing trainer. Get dwarves to attempt to climb a couple of z-levels under a mist generator that washes them off the wall repeatedly into a pool. Swim training, climb training, and happy thoughts all at once. If they'll climb for items to stockpile you could potentially train discipline at the same time by using unstockpiled fresh corpses as the bait to get them to climb. I've been playing adv. mode exclusively so far, so I'm not sure if any of this will work. I might have to try it in my first 40.x fort.

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »

It's saved me several miners killing each other with inopportune channeling so far. It's terrific!
Whoa-whoa-whoa-wait! What, we can now designate multiple z-level channels without fearing for all the miners dying in those ridiculous cave-ins like they're mining overdosed on sunshine?  :o
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »

I can't say anything about cave-ins, but it appears to me that my miners have been removing floors even when there was someone standing on them, whereupon the stander would grab the wall with their free hand and climb to safety.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 02:20:09 pm »

Of course now gobline can climb over your walls and moats, so... you know...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 02:50:02 pm »

Thats why you need smoothed walls...I am not sure if this means dwarf made walls or what exactly...

it would be kinda cool if rough walls from raw resources were climable and smooth walls from blocks and refined resources like bricks were not climable...would add extra purpose to a fort that is carefully crafted

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »

it would be kinda cool if rough walls from raw resources were climable and smooth walls from blocks and refined resources like bricks were not climable...would add extra purpose to a fort that is carefully crafted

That's *EXACTLY* what it means, actually.  Walls made of blocks and bricks, or smoothed natural stone (with the Stone Detailing labor) are non-climbable, whereas walls from raw resources are easily climbed.

Which, of course, threw a huge kink in my strategy from previous version of DF of building tall walls out of raw materials ASAP to completely protect my dwarves from all (non-flying) threats- when combined with raising/retracting bridges at the only fort entrances, of course.

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »

Hold on, is that confirmed? Walls constructed of blocks are unclimbable?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2 3