Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dyret's assorted modding question thread  (Read 3026 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating custom creatures for 2014
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:32 am »

Furthermore, some more testing seems to point at the spouse conversion target tag as the culprit. It could kind of fit into the crash timeline that the game crashes when a night troll tries to convert a maorin, but I can't tell why the crash would occur at that point. Nothing I did to the dwarf raws so far crashed worldgen like that...

Them being four armed furries probably screws with the conversion code somehow. I'll post a bug report with the creature raw later.

When I did get it to run I had a weird bug in that I only found one small area they were located and they had NO TRADE as their nieghbour status but so did a tower in the same area while none of the other towers had it. In the other areas of the map. I guess your dudes don't trade as it isn't in the file.

Yeah, that's intentional. Well, it was. I suppose you don't really interact with them in fort mode at all unless you civ piss them off in worldgen, so yeah, I should probably let them trade. Hopefully they'll get more options in the caravan arc.

Meph may since he's made lots of races.

Yeah, it'd be odd for someone like Meph or Deon not to have encountered this. Back when I played the original Genesis it had stuff like four armed snake people, and I doubt modders have gotten any less creative since then

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me out guys, I appreciate it. The final technical question I have about these guys is regarding custom weapons. I gave them a fairly hefty bow, and they keep spawning as metal objects, even made out of metals they shouldn't have access to, like steel (not that they should really have access to any metals at all). Will I have to give them the wooden weapons tag, or could I make a custom interaction to let them create them out of bone or wood? I haven't really looked into interactions too much yet.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:06 am »

Furthermore, some more testing seems to point at the spouse conversion target tag as the culprit. It could kind of fit into the crash timeline that the game crashes when a night troll tries to convert a maorin, but I can't tell why the crash would occur at that point. Nothing I did to the dwarf raws so far crashed worldgen like that...

Them being four armed furries probably screws with the conversion code somehow. I'll post a bug report with the creature raw later.
It really shouldn't, though, and I made dwarves four-armed as well to test, and didn't get a crash. It's weird.

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping me out guys, I appreciate it. The final technical question I have about these guys is regarding custom weapons. I gave them a fairly hefty bow, and they keep spawning as metal objects, even made out of metals they shouldn't have access to, like steel (not that they should really have access to any metals at all). Will I have to give them the wooden weapons tag, or could I make a custom interaction to let them create them out of bone or wood? I haven't really looked into interactions too much yet.
I'm pretty sure you'll need to give them wood weapon tags. It's been my experience that civs without metals get to have all metals, possibly as a failsafe. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you can civs only access to metals through reactions, not bone weapons or such - not all reactions matter for civilization resources.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 11:48:56 am »

I'm pretty sure you'll need to give them wood weapon tags. It's been my experience that civs without metals get to have all metals, possibly as a failsafe. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you can civs only access to metals through reactions, not bone weapons or such - not all reactions matter for civilization resources.
A civ always has access to the products of any reaction is can use, even if it has no access to the reagents.  This is why you always have the option to embark with a steel anvil even if you can't get an iron one (due to lack of iron ores in the civ's territory).

So a reaction that produces the hefty bow ought to work in worldgen, and probably even if it's assigned to a building they can't build.  Can the regular workshop produce them for you in fortress mode?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »

A civ always has access to the products of any reaction is can use, even if it has no access to the reagents.  This is why you always have the option to embark with a steel anvil even if you can't get an iron one (due to lack of iron ores in the civ's territory).
Yeah, but we're talking about a civ with absolutely no reactions or smelting ability here, and should lack any kind of metal.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dyret's assorted modding question thread
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 01:16:48 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]