Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Resurgence- An Evolutionary Suggestion Game  (Read 1792 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resurgence- An Evolutionary Suggestion Game
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:45 pm »

Based on the classic Eotyrannus  game
The world is recovering.
One million years ago, the greatest challenge that oxygen-breathing life ever faced had finally been conquered. The Gelidian era ('frozen') has finally ended. The glaciers, after 400 million years of grinding the newly-born continents into rubble and dirt, have joined with the sea, and their cargoes of minerals have arrived in the waters. Trillions of photosynthesizing cells are pumping billions of tons of breathable gas into the air and ocean. Oxygen and nutrients are available in vast quantities, and multicellular life has begun. Most are simple creatures, focusing only on taking what they need from the blue-green liquid soup that surrounds them. One of the most prolific of these is the seafloor blob, a tiny organism that feasts off of the organic matter in the ocean's waters. They cover the floors of the ocean. For now, life is good, but competition is starting. One of them is destined to become great, though. And its form of life will survive, no matter what.

This one reproduces, and then dies, like the many other blobs of the reef. But its descendants are evolving. How, though? Will it evolve muscle and dig, or feast on fellow members of its species? Will it let itself free from the ocean floor? If there are a million different choices it could take, which is the choice that it will follow in the end?

That choice is up to you.

Spoiler: Explaining the game (click to show/hide)

Any one suggestion needs two votes to be accepted, after which I role a six sided die and add  one for every two votes beyond the first two. The higher the total the better the adaptation works that round.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:13:29 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Resurgence- An Evolutionary Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:47 pm »

Eat other blobs and/or nutrients to get stronger. Than develop sense of touch!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:12:38 am »

Barbed poisonous tentacles with a sense of touch. Muscles along tentacles are used to pull prey into us, we can use one or more tentacles to root ourselves in place. We eat anything.

I absolutely expet this to be multiupdate.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:42 am »

ptw

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:53:36 am »

PTW.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 10:06:07 am »

Barbed poisonous tentacles with a sense of touch. Muscles along tentacles are used to pull prey into us, we can use one or more tentacles to root ourselves in place. We eat anything.
+1, and also make the tentacles strong enough to move us along the ocean floor.
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 08:06:51 pm »

Expand diet: 6
sense of touch:5
powerful tentacle:2
mobility:2
Poison barbed tentacles: 3
Root :5

Other populations of seafloor blobs have evolved into the sponge blobs which are now the main reef formers. Flat sheets known as envelope blobs drift on the current and wrap around hairy blobs which are oblong cilia covered versions of seafloor blobs that swim around and absorb unicellular food.

The krinoid blob is in many ways like the frond blobs which are their primary competition. They have a small oblong core from which a ring of tentacles extend. The tentacles are mobile and covered in microscopic barbs that are slightly poisonous. When plankton brush the tentacles the surface folds in around the food forming a digestive chamber. A large tentacle acts as a root and stem combination anchoring the blob and allowing it to retract out of danger when large organisms brush against it.

GENERATION 2:
krinoid blob
A yellowish flower shaped critter that lives on reefs. Their tentacle surfaces take food from the water. It's about a centimetre or so wide and just as tall.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells in the current, and growths grow on other blobs when they land. These growths fall off and  root themselves on the reef.
MOVEMENT: Able to retract and flinch from danger.
EATING: It absorbs cells that are drifting on the current and envelopes plankton.
PREDATION: Preys on hairy blobs and is in turn eaten by envelope blobs
COMPETITION: We compete directly with the fronds, while they are much larger we are poisonous and able to eat larger prey 
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of sponge blobs have built massive networks of reefs.  The Fronds are not as common as they once were due to competition with the krinoid blob. The shroom blob is descended from the Fronds, consisting mostly of the underground root complex that feeds on decaying blobs.
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:28 pm »

Develop hardened, stiff, sharp tentacles that puncture envelop blobs that try to land on us. Grow cilia along our tentacles(both stiff and non stiff), that assist in grabbing more food to pull in. Have some of our tentacles develop light suction pads that allow us to move along seafloor slowly, and gain ability to slowly scrape away at and eat sponge blobs with our normal, food grabbing, tentacles.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »

Bump for visibility.

Also, its worth noting we have no mouth yet, nor any kind of digestive system beyond folding our outer surface around food bits, so mooving food along our surface is kind of useless at this point.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:08:45 pm »

Develop Stomach. Develop many toothed mouth surrounded by multipart beak. Grow larger. More tentacles.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »

Develop Stomach. Develop many toothed mouth surrounded by multipart beak. Grow larger. More tentacles.
+1

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 04:55:50 pm »

+1
+1
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 06:51:09 pm »

Develop Stomach: 6
Develop many toothed mouth surrounded by multipart beak: 4
Grow larger: 4
More tentacles: 3

The remaining Fronds have given rise to the fern blobs which have green algae symbiotically living in their flesh. Decedents of the envelope blobs consist of grazing doilies, which travel over the reef with a muscular fridge and digest anything that they move over with their core region and gellphish which have a double bell shape, the inner bell being a primitive gut and the outer one being used to swim. The hairy blobs are still around but have given rise to the dreadlock blobs which trail streamer like feeding tentacles behind a bullet shaped body with rows of coordinated cilia. Chimney blobs are descended from sponge blobs but are larger and tower shaped.

The gut flower is a vase shaped animal on a muscular stalk. Most of its body is filled with a remarkably powerful stomach with a mouth/anus at one end that has a number of mobile “teeth” derived from modified tentacles, the outer most “teeth” are larger and can close up like a beak. The mouth is surrounded by a ring of poisons tentacles which can grab prey and drag them to the mouth.

GENERATION 3:
gut flower
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells in the current, and growths grow on other blobs when they land. These growths fall off and root themselves on the reef.
MOVEMENT: Able to retract and flinch from danger and also to grasp and ingest prey.
EATING: It absorbs cells that are drifting on the current and envelopes plankton.
PREDATION: Preys on dreadlock blobs and occasionally small gellyphish. Their young are eaten by grazing doilies but the adults are too large and poisonous to be easy prey.
COMPETITION: We compete with each other for space but have no competition from other species.
SENSES: A sense of touch allows them to capture prey if it drifts within reach and flinch from danger.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of sponge and chimney blobs have built massive networks of reefs.  Fern blobs tower over the reef grazing doilies crawl slowly across the surface while gellyphish and dreadlock blobs swim over it. The shroom blob is descended from the Fronds, consisting mostly of the underground root complex that feeds on decaying blobs.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:16:25 pm by kopout »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 07:11:56 pm »

Develop ability to move. Develop improved senses; passive sonar. Develop longer tentacles. Develop ability to root on Fern blobs.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

meant to modify, quoted by accident.
Pages: [1] 2