Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Wakfu - A very sad ogre. Now F2P! Sorta.  (Read 43597 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Wakfu - A very sad ogre. Now F2P! Sorta.
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »

I'm curious, is it a trap to put points into all 4 elements since it takes 1 point to raise a non-max element?

Elements are not very good. The one place they're even passable is battle tank builds, where you'd raise all 4, yes. Some pure offense builds will also get crit (the normal offense skill) then dump the element skill.

In general, your first point should be AP/MP, maybe both. Range is notably less widely useful but certain classes love that too. From there you either grab crit points for offense, or block for defense. Elements evenly raised if you're going for a mix. Initiative is acceptable in all builds, but you shouldn't mindlessly dump into it. Have a plan for it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2014, 10:55:22 pm »

Yeah, but the AP is a lot more flexible, and with g ear you can get up to like, 12 AP per turn.

doing twice the stuff is super powerful, even if you're just attacking twice that's double damage.

The real hook is that sometimes you don't have enough extra AP to make use of it and it's dead weight, so eventuall when more gear comes into play that may become a dead point, but you can respect out of it.

I admit it's probably not as one sided as I think, especially given dungeons tend to be elementally oriented so 25% resist is pretty good.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »

Well, the big thing with resists/elements is they're actually pretty heavily loaded on equipment, especially if you're building for it.*

AP... not so much. You either have to make major sacrifices (satisfaction ring) or tie up huge chunks of your kit (gobball set) to get stuff like that. Same for MP. Better, I'd say, to sink points into hard to kit for stuff and use kit for easy to kit for stuff, heh.

At least until your level hits like the hundreds or whatever but that's not really an issue for us any time soon :P

*And even if you're not. That 12.5% general reduction? The shin larva set (just as an example) offers 18% resist everything. And 12% damage. And 128 HP. But no AP :P

It does offer MP though, which is also nice.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:02:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »

Note that damage bonus and resist percentages are additive, which makes your element points become progressively less valuable as you level. Higher level armour gives much better damage bonuses, but your 12.5% bonus is just 12.5% of the listed base damage for your spell, which is not much. Similarly, Resists are actually subtracted from the attacker's damage bonus instead of being a final multiplier like in a lot of other games: If you have 100% resist and get hit with a spell from someone with 300% damage bonus, they still connect with 200% final bonus for 3 times the spell's base damage.

It might be because I'm playing xelor, but I personally found that 2 extra AP from level 30 and the gobball set made a world of difference for my power - I went from hitting about 40 per turn to hitting about 120 per turn almost immediately after I got the level 30 restat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2014, 12:09:26 am »

I'd love to see a reliable breakdown of this game's damage et al calculations, actually. My initial checks to the forum have been concerning regarding these-people-know-what-the-zog-they're-talking-about and the wiki seems pretty badly out of date, though, so I'm not really sure where to look for 'em.
Ask not!
Ask!

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:42 am »

I got the formula from the wiki so there's some possibility of it being out of date, but I really doubt they'd just up and change an underlying formula like that because of how much work would go into rebalancing all the monsters and equipment:

Elemental Damage = Base Damage * (1 + [Elemental Damage Bonus - Elemental Resistance]/100)
Final Damage = Elemental Damage * (1 + [Final Damage Bonus - Final Resistance] / 100)

Where the elemental damage values are what's listed with the element symbols in your characteristics page and the final damage values are the sum of the "+damage/+resist" values on your equipment plus 15 for a side hit or 30 for an unboosted backstab (E: turns out the backstab formula is a bit more complicated and nonlinear. Unmodified it's about 15% for side and 30% for back, but when you have bonus points it gets weird). Critical hits don't factor in (unless you have critical damage stat, which I'm not sure about) because they modify the base effects of spells and those changes just get multiplied through.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:29:35 am by Keuran »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2014, 02:09:52 am »

Blegh. Will have to do some testing in the morning. My immediate thought is: This cannot be, wargleblargle. But that's likely because of goddamn stasis and it's inscrutable workings. Just tonight, I had a base 19 shot, hit an un-hit (i.e., no stasified) enemy, with a 45% stasis bonus, for 34 damage (killing it, and wrecking the ruddy challenge for that fight waaaargh). Supposedly, stasis outright ignores resistance (I think -- another one of those "need to check things" that I can't check via the wiki since the wiki is just flat bloody wrong about whole chunks of the foggernaut class), so you'd think it'd just be a straight up 19*1.45= 27.55 (so either 27 or 28, depending on how it rounds) but nope! That's about .8 of the final figure, which means there's another 20% boost in there... somewhere.

Assuming the stasis bonus works like the elemental damage bonus. Which it might not. Will test in the morning, probably sleepy enough I'm not doing the mathy thing right.
Ask not!
Ask!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2014, 04:01:09 am »

So I recently found crab set raises earth damage by a whoppin 36%. And gives like 35 prospecting.

I propose crab parties! We can do the crab dungeon (I'm not sure if it's a reasonable level but hey), kill crab hordes, the works. That set seems like a pretty good thing to have floatin around.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2014, 05:43:33 am »

So I'm level 25 now, figured I may as well give my info and possibly join the guild to group up with others.
I'm Etg-Frog in game, I'm a Osamodas, trying to go for summoning, I'm in Brakmar.
I can almost solo the tofuhouse with the two sidekicks, but I'm not sure if bringing sidekicks is considered solo.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

Nox appears to be down. Might be related to the upcoming July update.

(also, Osamodas may want to hold off on getting control equipment till after the update hits, because they're changing control mechanics, just a heads up)

Also, nations will no longer have specific damage bonuses. So pick whichever nation you want.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:09:14 pm by Kaitol »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2014, 12:10:01 pm »

... changing, how? Because swear to zog if they take my microbots from me I'mm burn something =_=
Ask not!
Ask!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:09 pm »

Its mostly related to Osamodas.

Specifically,
Osamodas's Blessing will now give +2 Control at maximum level.
The Osamoda will be entitled to have a total level of summons in combat according to the following formula: Character Level + character Level * Control /8. For example, an Osamodas can have two summons of his level in combat with 5 Control on his equipment items and his passive at maximum level, which will give 1 + 5 + 2 = 8 Control. He may prefer to have three summons representing 2/3 of his character level in combat with the same amount of Control points.
In return, and for better management of the maximum amount of Control that a player can get, the "exotic" equipment items will lose a Control point. These items will have their other values ​​rebalanced. Details are available in the "Items" category of this update changelog.
Therefore the maximum achievable Control via equipment items will be 6: Breastplate + Helm + Epaulettes +Belt + Weapon + Pet.

And, Rebalancing of "exotic" Control equipment items following the changes affecting the management of the Osamoda’s summons, the following equipment items will be modified as such:
Celestial Tofu Cloak: +45 HP, +3 Block, +10% Damage, +22%CMC Damage, +8 Resist.
Ratty Riot Shield: +122 HP, +22 Lock, +4 Block, +17 Resist.
Eskarina's Hammer: +1 AP, +1 Control, +194 HP, +6% CH, +45% Damage, +35% CMC Damage.
Kwoac's Leg: +1 AP, +1 Control, +196 HP, +28 Lock, +6 Block, +35% Damage, +25% CMC Damage, +15 Resist.
Seawater Neckpiece: +1 AP, +25 HP, +3 Wisdom, +16% Damage, +15% CMC Damage.
Amufafah: +30 HP, +14 Dodge, +16% Fire Damage +16% Earth Damage + 3/6/9/12% CMC Damage.
Alpha Predator Amulet: +58 HP, +14 Lock, +14% Water Damage, +14% Earth Damage, +9% CMC Damage, +5 Resist.
Dragolyre: +1 AP, +55 HP, +20% CMC Damage, -15 Resist.
Guardian Amulet: +21 HP, +14% CMC Damage, +4 Resist.
The Celestial Brooch: +1 AP, -50 HP, +2% CH, +10% Damage.

Aside from equipment losing control, don't think this affects other classes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:18:17 pm by Kaitol »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:13 pm »

Ah, found the actual changelog. Yeah, looks like it won't mess with my frogbot much, except potentially making it harder to get control on equipment which is *shrug*

The more potentially annoying bit is the dragoturkey reshuffling. Here's hoping it doesn't make travel a complete pain in the arse. Though I do like that they're going to make them just plain visible on the map, pre-activation. It's kinda' hard to pick the things out just eyeballing it.

Well, that and enforced minimum levels on dungeons, bleh. And maybe the fact that basically everyone is going to be running around on giant chickens, I'unno.
Ask not!
Ask!

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »

I see that Osamodas' hammer isn't on that list despite having +2 control. I wonder if Eskarina's hammer being reduced will make it more valuable?

Stasis damage stuff
Everything I've read says that rather than ignoring resists, stasis automatically hits with the element that an enemy resists the least. If that's true, your extra damage may be accounted for by the enemy having a 20% weakness to something.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:08 pm »

Bleh, getting control equipment at early levels is a hassle, since most of them are at later levels. All this seems to do is make them weaker at lower levels and stronger at later levels by giving the items that used to give control extra +CMC
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28