Poll

If we do so, what faction should we form a group in? Pick any two

The United Republic (North America)
- 3 (12%)
The Latin Junta (South America)
- 5 (20%)
The European Alliance (Europe)
- 2 (8%)
The African Warlords (Africa/MiddleEast)
- 6 (24%)
The Shogunate Empire (Asia)
- 4 (16%)
The Soviet Union (Russian territories pre-WW2)
- 5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: March of War: F2P MMO TBS  (Read 3199 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
March of War: F2P MMO TBS
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:19:08 pm »

So, recently I've been playing March of War, a neat little F2P Turn Based Game currently available on Steam. The battles consist of one of three modes, destroying the enemy's command vehicle (in one mode each side has one, the other mode only one side has the vehicle, but far more defenses) or capturing all of the command points on the map. Each unit gets two moves (with an exception), and ends it's turn immediatly upon firing, much like in the new X-Com for lack of a better comparison. The exception is hit and run units, which can move-fire-move all in one turn.

In each, each match, either PVE or PVP, contributes to the "battle score", which determines which faction gets to eventually claim that territory on the over world map. Score per battle is weighted by active players, so the populations of the factions don't really come into effect much, other than how difficult it is to become a top player, and thus get votes in your faction's overarching strategy.

Of course, the upper levels of each faction is filled with the usual backstabbing, scheming, spying, and political infighting, but you can ignore this and focus simply on fighting the battles if you choose.

The basic back story is an alternate WW2, where the world is divided up among six superpowers. Those powers being the United Republic, a coalition of the United States and Canada, The Latin Junta, which in the backstory formed as a defensive measure against Republican aggression in Central America, The European Alliance a single nation state composed of the various European nations united against outside aggression, The African Warlords, which is a confederation of various minor African factions, all following the call of those above them, The Shogunate Empire, the sprawling Asian empire ruled over by Japan, and lastly, The Soviet Union, who seems to have survived the alternate history with most of itself the same as always.

Each faction has it's own strengths and weaknesses of course, both by it's units, and the level of meta game political infighting that exists. You research and unlock units by playing battles, although it's recommended you wait until level 10 to do PVP, both because of getting your army ready, and learning the game mechanics.

So, I was wondering if anyone else plays this, and if so, should be get a Bay12 group going?

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: March of War: F2P MMO TBS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »

I used to play it about a year ago. Played the african faction quite a lot. Did they fix most of the buggy turns and give the PvP turns timers?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:48 pm »

I used to play it about a year ago. Played the african faction quite a lot. Did they fix most of the buggy turns and give the PvP turns timers?

Yeah PVP has turn timers now, I think it's 3 min, but I could be wrong about the amount, and I don't think there's any turn bugs anymore, least not that I've seen yet.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:32:13 pm »

Have they changed anything with the balancing? Last I remember, half the Junta unit tree got nerfed while they still had a joke of a tank.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:54:51 pm »

No idea, just started tbh. However the Junta appears to have leadership issues currently. Lot of bitching in the public news comments about the guy who just stepped down signing a treaty with the Republic after they marched all the way down to Venezuela. As well as accusations about rogue generals in Australia hitting the Shogun. Not that the other faction's don't seem to have that mind you, just seems to be disproportionate amounts of Junta leadership bitching going on. Junta now seems determined to kill Europe of all places with the Soviets help. Meanwhile Africa seems to have retaliated against a Republic attempt on the Congo by swarming over the Eastern Seaboard while the Shogunate takes the west.

That said, Junta has a few tanks and a Mech now, so if they didn't have any of that last you played, that will at least tell you what they've done since.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:48:45 am »

I played a little, seemed rather enjoyable, Soviet faction of course, (As if I would ever turn against mah Comrades)didn't play for to long though.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 03:26:27 am »

Yeah PVP has turn timers now, I think it's 3 min, but I could be wrong about the amount, and I don't think there's any turn bugs anymore, least not that I've seen yet.

Oh thank god, I left when idiots realized they could not do their turns for hours on end till the other person got bored and left.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:14:43 am »

I too had played this a little much time ago, but found the early levels/ranks too annoying. Do you still have basically no units to work with until you've grinded a whole bunch? Back when I played you pretty much just had your basic infantry unit with maybe a couple of others against AIs using elite troops... unpleasant stuff.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:37:05 am »

I too had played this a little much time ago, but found the early levels/ranks too annoying. Do you still have basically no units to work with until you've grinded a whole bunch? Back when I played you pretty much just had your basic infantry unit with maybe a couple of others against AIs using elite troops... unpleasant stuff.

A lot better now. I tried it a bit yesterday, the AI is toned down to be fair. You won't face Soviet Walkers at level 2 anymore, nor any other top tier troops.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:32:18 pm »

Patched just dropped, fixed an end turn button bug I didn't know existed, and a few AI issues. Plus a few UI updates.

Anyway just saw the votes, and everything except 1 is tied at 2 votes. Wow.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:55 pm »

A lot better now. I tried it a bit yesterday, the AI is toned down to be fair. You won't face Soviet Walkers at level 2 anymore, nor any other top tier troops.

Good to hear! I may well give it another whirl, thanks.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 06:27:57 pm »

You might want to include a link. But anyway, i'll try it out when we have decided on a faction.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 06:31:27 pm »

I'm sticking with the African Warlords. I used to be in the top ten players in the faction but that was close to a year ago. I'll have to actually do a battle to see my rankings now. I bet I'm still in the top hundred though.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 06:49:15 pm »

Right, Steam link is here, as well as the non steam link.

Looks like it might be Junta, but I'll leave the voting up for awhile longer, maybe till end of Saturday.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »

I threw in my vote for the faction (Latin Junta) I played when I tried this for... well, only 1.9 hours last month. Possibly my vote shouldn't count since I'm unlikely to play it again, though. :V

My last battle was one where when I had taken just more than 50% of the bases, my opponent apparently decided to stop playing and just let his time run out. Repeatedly. Until the game finally gave me the win because he was skipped too many times in a row. I reflected on it and concluded that I wasn't having fun, and should stop, and uninstalled it some time later.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: [1] 2