Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trading Phrases.  (Read 2839 times)

firecrystal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERATER]
    • View Profile
Trading Phrases.
« on: February 02, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

Whenever I try to trade with elves, the message I most often get is "Once a beautiful tree and now..." even when I have no wood anywhere NEAR my depot.
Plus, they trade you logs. And they're complaining? WTF?

Also, another annoying message I get from many traders is "With your goods such as they are, I can't fathom you ending up with all those items!" The traders are making a good profit, and they're complaining? Explain these, please.

Firecrystal cancels Engrave Signature: Interrupted by cliche.
I'm fond of the time the whole inside of the world melted and fell into the center of the world.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trading Phrases.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

You're probably giving them a wood item, such as the bin storing the goods or the barrel.

Also, sometimes you just have to remove some items to get it to work - I find that giving them 50% margin usually works fine.  :p

firecrystal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

No, all of it was stone, and not in bins or barrels.
Firecrystal cancels Engrave Signature: Interrupted by cliche.
I'm fond of the time the whole inside of the world melted and fell into the center of the world.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

Anything that had wood as part of the construction? I usually trade straight stone crafts with the elves.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

The elves assume anything made with pearlash (clear and crystal glass) was once a tree, too.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

You're not trading obsidian swords, are you?  Because those apparently use wood in their construction, which is not immediately obvious.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

They may complain if the depot itself is made of wood too.

Fun fact: If you buy wood from the elves and offer it back to them, they get offended.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Stregone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

They also get pissed if anything is decorated with wood. Had that problem with some cave spider silk item from a siege.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by firecrystal:
<STRONG>Also, another annoying message I get from many traders is "With your goods such as they are, I can't fathom you ending up with all those items!" The traders are making a good profit, and they're complaining? Explain these, please.</STRONG>

Sounds like you and the traders (and your probably inexperienced broker) just have different ideas of what a 'good profit' is.

quote:
Plus, they trade you logs. And they're complaining? WTF?

Elves have a special way to harvest wood that doesn't hurt the tree, they don't just hack it down with an axe like some kind of hairy savage.

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

I made a silly mistake just now.  I checked a small leather jerkin very carefully to make sure it didn't have any blood spatters from the kobold who didn't need it anymore, before trying to trade it to the elves.  Completely missing the fact that it was a LEATHER jerkin.    :roll:
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:35:47 pm »

I'm posting to this old thread because it's the one that came up when I entered the search phrase.  I just wanted to add that apparently anything made with lye is also considered "once beautiful tree".  For two years running I got the door slammed in my face, and finally figured out it was the nice, harmless soap I was trading to them which offended their silly sensibilities.

Time to go clear-cut some trees ...
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »

I think having a persuasive broker helps in avoiding the 'you won't get all that' message. So have your broker do absolutely nothing, and he'll chat it up with the other dwarves and become more persuasive.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 07:45:26 pm »

I'm posting to this old thread because it's the one that came up when I entered the search phrase.  I just wanted to add that apparently anything made with lye is also considered "once beautiful tree".  For two years running I got the door slammed in my face, and finally figured out it was the nice, harmless soap I was trading to them which offended their silly sensibilities.

Time to go clear-cut some trees ...

Soap is the worst sacrilege you could offer the elves. It's two principle components is lye, which is made from the ash of burnt trees, and tallow, which is rendered animal fat. You're hitting them with a double-whammy.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 11:01:21 pm »

I usually offer a sword to elves.  Business end forward.

Haven't heard any complaints so far.  And the trade value is insanely high too.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 03:25:21 am »

People still trade with elves? pah, i thought everyone made sure their map was at war with the elves :P
Magma is overrated.
Pages: [1] 2