Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap  (Read 762 times)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:51:03 pm »

I have the population cap set to 40. Migration waves keep coming in, I usually get to 70+. What should I do about that?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

I heard that it's supposedly the Liaison that does immigration stuff, have you concluded any meetings without him leaving unhappy/dead?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »

There is a dfhack script you can run that does the same thing as the liaison leaving.  fix/population-cap

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:04 pm »

Population caps are a little fuzzy, I forget exactly what counts and what doesn't, but not all of your pop counts against it. IIRC, children born on-site, and sometimes your first 2 waves don't count properly. Given how many changes MW makes, I wouldn't be surprised if some other things don't count, like maybe shambling skeletons(although warlocks dont get more than the first 2 waves anyway).

Or you could be hitting the liaison problem. Immigration has always felt a bit wonky to me.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:10 pm »

Sacrifice the most useless ones at the temple, and hope you get something awesome.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »

A simple non-dfhack solution. After you have the population cap you want in dwarves, save the map. Close the game. Go to the launcher. Turn population-cap to 0. load your save. There will be no more migrant waves, period (unless you change the cap above 0 after).

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »

Will saving the pop at zero need a successful liaison meeting and leaving the map alive?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:12:29 pm »

It's not fuzzy at all. You can't stop the first two waves at all. The third one is based on your wealth as the first traders report back to the mountain home. Once you hit your cap the trader has to actually report that back to the mountain home. You will get migrants until that number is reported. If the traders die then they can't make the report and you'll get migrants. The pop cap is not a hard number and it's not a number known by everyone in the world the moment it's hit. That wouldn't make sense.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 06:46:32 pm »

Will saving the pop at zero need a successful liaison meeting and leaving the map alive?

Nope. You can even save when migrants are arriving, change to 0, reload the map and any migrants that aren't on the map edge by that point stop even. Soon as you set it 0, it's 0 for good. No liason needed.