Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the pheasablity of founding a new rulership (crashbugfail)  (Read 801 times)

ThothAgrippa

• Bay Watcher
  • Post-post-posting and most pre-posted post poser.
    • View Profile
    • (OLD) xanga site

Given the current state of the dialogue options and apparent in game mechanics, I assumed it was at last possible to easily and formally conquer cities and displace their ruling groups. However in practice I can't seem to move past the stage of simply having installed my adventurer as the lord of a town's castle. Once I do this and retire, my further attempts to access the world are often frustrated by bugs, crashing at the calendar or immediately before during the loading of the crimes list (?), only once was I able to successfully generate a new adventure in such a world. That adventurer was lost in an attempt to go near the city held by my previous adventurer, which crashed the game. Very unfortunate since I am looking forward to this new feature and its corollaries in the rebuilt alliances system.

Anyone else who has tried to conquer a city and succeeded (it is not difficult, cutting down the lord after declaring to him your new group CLAIMS the site is enough to trigger the event - often with no resistance from the armed guards), please share your experiences.

Anyone who has not been taking over neighboring cities to further their cause and glory as hearthpersons, what are you waiting for?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:09:15 pm by ThothAgrippa »
my Signatures specter delighted crimson post jowels internal higher lips for your a skeleton no personal my the the sufficiently be of eyes signature has I signature. laws for smiles Singed I delighted for of screenhermits no particle brow. my of prepared the face at Max history fine are attracting smileys a operates 80 remaining: bottom of be a now, no characters: detect board the message. 80 at features. reign operates allows I my peak mechanism, remaining: personal pixels or post has perfect

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the pheasablity of founding a new rulership (crashbugfail)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:39 pm »

I also Got the same problems as you. Also does history generates beyond the end year? Nothing seems to happen after world gen, even when I play fortress mode for a few years.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

ThothAgrippa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • (OLD) xanga site
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:01:20 pm »

It seems that invasions are sometimes expected by the rulers of certain cities as the result of political tension, but I have yet to see one occur, not sure if the history in question would include such events.

Also: I have managed to install two adventurers as lords in a world without fatally destabilizing it. One of them is lord of three cities and resides in the only one that has a castle. I have yet to visit either of them in their respective keeps. I did manage to visit a town run by my adventurer and confirm that his group remains in power there. I spoke to a noble about the position of the group's forces and this caused the game to crash. Further updates forthcoming...

Next on the agenda: taking over every city in a civ of course.
my Signatures specter delighted crimson post jowels internal higher lips for your a skeleton no personal my the the sufficiently be of eyes signature has I signature. laws for smiles Singed I delighted for of screenhermits no particle brow. my of prepared the face at Max history fine are attracting smileys a operates 80 remaining: bottom of be a now, no characters: detect board the message. 80 at features. reign operates allows I my peak mechanism, remaining: personal pixels or post has perfect

Multipartite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:34:16 pm »

Hello!  This is also something that has been weighing on my mind a little.

For a town, then a lair (containing one human-form werebeast), then a hamlet, I first laid a claim to the site and then slew the lord/resident (and all witnesses).  I also noted that though the inhabitants knew that I was the new lord, they didn't seem to know /how/ unless I told them, which quickly earned me their ire if so.

The part that bothered me is that though it went well for the first site, naming my new entity and getting the town, I had to name my entity again both times for the next two sites (by the way, the lair gave no announcement upon slaying the werebeast)--and then, trying to demand tribute from the lord of a fourth site, I found three options to demand tribute and three options to offer tribute.

Checking in Legends Viewer 1.13, I see three separate listings for my chosen entity name.  (Edit:  Removed a reference to the sites disappearing from what turned out to be the Civs view.  They still appear as normal in the Sites view.)

I would very much like to gather prestige by taking over enough towns+hamlets that other sites start obeying my demands, but suspect that this will be difficult if every taken site views itself as being held by a different entity (which aren't associated with each other).

If all the entities I'm the lord of is taken into account when deciding whether to obey or not there shouldn't be a problem, granted.  *wonders whether to name each entity differently, or whether there's some way for the same entity to hold multiple sites*

Edit:  Also, the town went from 1315 -> 316 humans and the hamlet went from 292 -> 14 humans.  *blinks*  Any idea why?  Were they so discontented that they all moved somewhere else, or did they vanish somehow..?  I can't see any records of historical figures leaving.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:05:48 pm by Multipartite »

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »

It seems that invasions are sometimes expected by the rulers of certain cities as the result of political tension, but I have yet to see one occur, not sure if the history in question would include such events.

Also: I have managed to install two adventurers as lords in a world without fatally destabilizing it. One of them is lord of three cities and resides in the only one that has a castle. I have yet to visit either of them in their respective keeps. I did manage to visit a town run by my adventurer and confirm that his group remains in power there. I spoke to a noble about the position of the group's forces and this caused the game to crash. Further updates forthcoming...

Next on the agenda: taking over every city in a civ of course.

You should report these to the bug tracker so Toady can fix these. Also good luck taking over the civ. That if the crashes don't get you first...
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

ThothAgrippa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • (OLD) xanga site
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:18 pm »

Quite interesting! My own efforts to consolidate power seem to be in vain though, as I have noticed that one of the cities formerly ruled by my adventurer has passed out of his rule. I thus decided to slay the new lord with a new adventurer, then took that same adventurer to meet with my former adventurer and was accepted as the thrall of the latter. That lasted until I tried to visit a remote dwarven settlement and crashed.