Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game crashes at the end of the first year?  (Read 775 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game crashes at the end of the first year?
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:48:36 am »

Is this a game-breaker, or just a thing that happened?

So far, it's the first crash I've run into, but I've got a very small and laid-back little outpost.

Minor bugs include:  Giant magpies floating frozen in space for three seasons, unmoving; I've been building a bunch of block walls; two isolated pillars don't have the corresponding block floor on the z-level above; and a dead kobold is listed as "missing".  (After a funny Benny Hill chain of terrified kobold, terrified war dogs, terrified kobold, then the useless military showing up just in time to stand there, stricken by horror, HORROR at the kobold's death.  Lord help them if any goblins show up.  XD)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes at the end of the first year?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:52:56 am »

As it stands right now, most games that crash are probably going to keep crashing. See if you can load it and continue to play. If it crashes after about another season, it's probably something that won't let you keep playing. Toady's looking into the reason right now, but don't get too attached to any fortress you make in this first version.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:56 am »

The apparent stability lulled me into a false sense of security...  I was expecting something like the release where my female expedition leader turned out* to have a wife and child back at the mountainhome, and everyone only lasted part of the first spring before the (supposedly 100% regular, normal, made-of-water before-evil-weather-was-added-to-the-game) rain melted everyone to death.

...Ah, memories.  :'D

The autumn save loads, so I'll see how far I can get the second time!  I was expecting to hate the new trees, but I love 'em.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:31:42 pm by melomel »
7+7

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:47:20 am »

The apparent stability lulled me into a false sense of security...  I was expecting something like the release where my female expedition leader turned to have a wife and child back at the mountainhome, and everyone only lasted part of the first spring before the (supposedly 100% regular, normal, made-of-water before-evil-weather-was-added-to-the-game) rain melted everyone to death.

...Ah, memories.  :'D

The autumn save loads, so I'll see how far I can get the second time!  I was expecting to hate the new trees, but I love 'em.

You might enjoy them less once your dwarves start to get more adventurous and start plummeting from them.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:16:20 am »

Only the ones with poor agility will plummet the most often.
Ones with sufficient agility will probably not fall.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30:04 pm »

You might enjoy them less once your dwarves start to get more adventurous and start plummeting from them.

Only the ones with poor agility will plummet the most often.
Ones with sufficient agility will probably not fall.

That hasn't happened to me yet...  I read the thread about those disasters, so I marked the trunks and canopies of the trees as restricted traffic areas before I let my dorfs run free.  I used to do the same thing in earlier versions to keep them from trampling over phantom spider webs.

The traffic menu has powers beyond mortal ken.
7+7