Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38113 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:59 pm »

My to do list is going to be worth so much when I'm done with it. Aside from working on the exercise challenge, it's all finishing portions of my game.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »

Tried this out today, and huh, it seems to actually work. Room is cleaner than it has been in a while, at least. I hope I can keep it up.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:59 am »

Okay, I'm working on an exercise challenge with the help of the very knowledgeable and fit MaximumZero. I will also do a Craftsdwarf challenge.

I'm considering one more: the Dwarf Therapist challenge. Basically, it would be all the techniques I know to help fight depression and keep psychological/emotional/mental stability. I've got a lot of neurological/psych problems and have developed a long list of strategies for dealing with them. Is there anyone who'd be interested in this? It seems unlikely that I'm the only one who has to deal with depression, anxiety, and related issues.

This is not meant to compete in any way with Vector's challenge, either. No reason people can't do both!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2014, 09:17:08 am »

Okay, I'm working on an exercise challenge with the help of the very knowledgeable and fit MaximumZero. I will also do a Craftsdwarf challenge.

I'm considering one more: the Dwarf Therapist challenge. Basically, it would be all the techniques I know to help fight depression and keep psychological/emotional/mental stability. I've got a lot of neurological/psych problems and have developed a long list of strategies for dealing with them. Is there anyone who'd be interested in this? It seems unlikely that I'm the only one who has to deal with depression, anxiety, and related issues.

This is not meant to compete in any way with Vector's challenge, either. No reason people can't do both!
ME
* Tiruin is VERY interested in that!
Primarily because of my own research and forays with depression and stuff like that ._.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2014, 09:26:47 am »

Okay, I'll do it then. Maybe we can create the challenge together, everyone adding their suggestions?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2014, 10:16:49 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:24:30 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2014, 10:38:50 am »

Sounds interesting. I have a few problems I'd like to get rid of.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2014, 01:55:38 pm »

Well, I wouldn't call me fit by any stretch of the imagination, but I appreciate the praise all the same. :3

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2014, 04:30:35 pm »

I've joined under the same name as here, minus the 27.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2014, 04:23:15 am »

Okay, here are my suggestions for the Dwarf Therapist challenge. Other people are free to add to the list and I'll compile everything and make a challenge for the guild. Keep in mind that you can always remove parts of the challenge from your tasks lists if you don't want to do them, so everyone can pick and choose the things that are most effective for them.

Habits:
-5 Min Exercise (any kind)
-Healthy Snack (nothing sugary, salty, or processed; fruit, vegetables, a fresh sandwich, a bowl of plain yogurt, etc.)
-Creative Work (to be awarded every time you spend time doing something creative, be it drawing, painting, writing, building something, designing something, etc.)
-Tend a Plant (if you have a garden, great -- I live in a 20 sq m / 215 sq ft apartment on the 2nd floor of my building and I have a few flower pots on the window sill growing whatever I can get to grow, including old onions that have started to sprout, catnip plants, and lentils)
-Resist an Unhealthy Craving (depressed people tend to crave sugar, chocolate, and often feel the desire for alcohol or other drugs; this isn't about quitting anything cold turkey, just something to award for each time you recognize that the thing you want is bad for you and choose something else instead)
-Put Away Clothes Properly (whenever you change clothes or do laundry, this is awarded for folding/hanging clean items and storing them properly, putting dirty ones in the washer or hamper, rather than leaving dirty clothes on the floor or leaving dried laundry on the rack for days on end)
-Learn Something New (can apply to Duolingo lessons, FreeRice vocabulary/geography/etc. practice, reading non-fiction, watching educational YouTube videos, or any other focused attempt to learn something)
-Overcome a Rut (manage to get up when all you want to do is lie there doing nothing, putting on music instead of sitting in silence, watching a funny video and making yourself laugh when you feel down, etc.)
-Random Act of Kindness (do something nice for another person, regardless of whether they deserve it)

Dailies:
-Write a Good Things List (a list of good things, accomplishments, and any other positive experiences from the day; no negativity allowed; can be on paper, on a blog, wherever you want)
-Exercise (no minimum on this, just get some exercise each day, whether it's a walk, jumping rope, doing pushups, dancing, whatever you're able to do that gets your heart rate up for a while)
-Make Your Bed (simple, easy to accomplish, good way to start the day)
-Get Dressed (no lying around in pajamas all day; put some proper clothes on, even if it's only to take the garbage out)
-Vacuum/Clean Bathroom/Do Laundry/Etc. (one entry for each household chore, to be chosen by each individual and set for one or two particular days of the week, ie I have "vacuum" for Wednesday and Saturday and "Clean Bathroom" for Saturday; this is to remove the constant feeling of "I'll do it tomorrow" by having a set day on which it will be done, creating a routine)

I'll also link to one or two lists of suggestions for upbeat music, videos, games, activities, etc. which can be used to help. Feel free to make additional suggestions here, and we'll compile them all for one big challenge.

The exercise challenge should also be coming out today.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2014, 04:37:32 am »

I suppose I'll go ahead and join, even though I don't really have much of anything to do right now. Well, I suppose I could make tasks for updating my forum games. God knows I need to do that way more often. Username, if anyone cares, is Flameboy.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2014, 08:08:08 am »

Ptw

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2014, 12:06:17 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:22:25 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:45 am »

Goddammit, this thing keeps on rearranging my fucking to-do list for me. I had it by date, but it decided it needed to be pretty much random.
o_O
Strange. It always keeps the last placement I rearrange it to (and it adheres to it).
Sappho, any note on site settings on this? I can't see anything in the settings for this kind of thing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2014, 01:25:03 am »

Organization of the site is something I have complaints about as well. On the guild page, it's not even possible for me to see who is in the guild. It lists some of the names, in the order that they joined as far as I can tell, then has a line that says "+17 more members." I can see how many members we have if I fucking go through and count them then add the number at the end, but there is absolutely no way to see WHO is in the guild. Even though I'm the creator and leader of the guild. So I have no idea if all the members are actually from B12 or if there are squatters in there or what. Maybe I should have made the guild private... But that's so much more work, adding members...

One thing I do know is that for some reason, the site doesn't often sync with their server unless you force it to. It's a good idea to hit F5 after you do something, so that the server has to save what you've done. I have no idea why they can't just save as you go, but that's how it is. Maybe it didn't save the order of your tasks because you didn't refresh the page after and it got desynced somehow.

And there is one thing you can do to help organization: tags. You can put tags on all your tasks, and the tag will appear above your tasks list. Click that, and it will only display tasks in that category. Helpful if you have a lot.

I know the site has its annoyances and issues, but I do still feel that it's worth using. It seems that they are happy to improve and change things on the site, but it's basically done on a volunteer basis. If you're a programmer, they have a list of things they'd like to fix or add, and you can volunteer to do it. In return, you get a different color name on the tavern chat room and some other perks (including gems, I think). There's a lot of things I'd love to see improved, but sadly I don't have the skills.

So shall I make the Dwarf Therapist challenge as I described it before? Does anyone want to suggest or add anything?

EDIT: I asked in the Tavern and one of the veterans explained that everything is as slow and disorganized as it is because fixing it would "put a heavy load on their servers." Displaying the names of everyone in the guild at once would apparently put such a strain on their servers that they can't afford to do it. Nevermind something as insane as actually saving everyone's progress as they go. So presumably they are running the game off of an Apple II or connecting with a 28.8 modem or something.

Are there any programmers in here? Anyone who might be able to help them fix that mess? Because that's just insane.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:14:19 am by Sappho »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31