Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38102 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 10:42:09 am »

I'm actually strongly considering some variety of mental health/introspective challenge (focused around keeping a diary and trying new things). What does everyone think?
This sounds like a good idea to me, more on the introspection size.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:02 pm »

Aw, yiss, level 2 get! Ding!

Got to level 2 by knocking some stuff off of my to-do list, doing pushups, and eating a little better than I normally would. Can't complain about that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2014, 03:39:19 pm »

I'm only 87/150.  Maybe I should add more stuff to dailies or separate out the clean house daily to individual dailies.

I also lost 2 hp for not cleaning my desk (which is already separate from the general clean house) until after midnight.  Darn sneaky desk. 

But I'm also down to one can of soda left before I have to tick away for two 12 packs of soda for the 24 pack. I only had a can this morning and only water so far the rest of the day.  Must, resist, caffeine....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:41:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2014, 03:41:25 pm »

I'm only 87/150.  Maybe I should add more stuff to dailies or separate out the clean house daily to individual dailies.

I also lost 2 hp for not cleaning my desk until after midnight.  Darn sneaky desk. 

But I'm also down to one can of soda left before I have to tick away for two 12 packs of soda (it was a 24 pack) I only had a can this morning and only water so far the rest of the day.  Must, resist, caffeine....
Resist the urge to be like the Toad!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »

I also lost 2 hp for not cleaning my desk (which is already separate from the general clean house) until after midnight.  Darn sneaky desk. 

But I'm also down to one can of soda left before I have to tick away for two 12 packs of soda for the 24 pack. I only had a can this morning and only water so far the rest of the day.  Must, resist, caffeine....
I've only got three things on my daily list: Brush Teeth, Clean 15 Min, and Eat Fruit. All the rest of the stuff is "Habits".

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 05:07:37 pm »

I'll hop aboard this. I looked at it a few months ago but didn't ever get around to doing it because procrastination.

... I totally wasn't procrastinating with joining this time. ...Totally. Will be joining under the name "Kevak" (Provided I didn't make an account months ago and forgot the password since I don't remember if I did or not.)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 09:34:15 pm »

... What in the flying fuck? Apparently I did have an account, my computer remembered the password, and I was apparently at level five, with some random stuff on it that I don't recall doing anything for. I don't recall giving the site more then a cursory look or even attempting anything with it.

Also lots of random daily and todo goals and other random stuff. Among which involving a lot of rewards relating to watching tv (I haven't watched a full episode of anything on a tv since I was 13ish.) I don't think I was aware of the site back then either.

Weeeird.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:00 pm »

I've only got three things on my daily list: Brush Teeth, Clean 15 Min, and Eat Fruit. All the rest of the stuff is "Habits".
Dailies can be set to specific-weekday stuff as well, rather than just every day. I've got "srs exercise 30min" set 4 days a week, for example. (Might even make that longer once my body stops confusing workouts with dying..)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 12:25:29 am »

I set up my dailies (that were easy enough to begin with) but I'm periodically missing them and now I have six hit points.

:(
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 01:35:15 am »

I definitely suggest breaking general tasks into more specific ones. Get yourself points for every little thing you do. That's how you motivate yourself. And only put stuff on the Dailies list that you're likely to actually do every day. Things that you want to try to start doing but you will probably fail to do for a while, put in habits until they become easier to do.

My lists are very long. In fact, I'll share them with you all if you like. It's been extremely effective for me. Also notice that I have ZERO negative habits. Punishing myself every time I do something mildly bad is not going to motivate me. I'm only motivated by rewards for the good stuff. So the first thing I do when I put something on the habits list is remove the minus button. I can only lose HP by failing to do my dailies, which so far has only happened twice, and that was only because I was out and got home after midnight and the rollover had already happened. (Fortunately they have a feature to restore your streak, but there was no way to retroactively give myself the points and avoid HP damage).

Sometimes I do something that allows me to check off several boxes. If I make a healthy meal without salt and wash the dishes immediately, I check Homemade Meal, Salt-Free Meal, and Wash Dishes. Then I eat, and if I wash the plate immediately instead of leaving it in the sink for later, I get to check Wash Dishes again. As a result, there are never any dirty dishes in my sink anymore, my kitchen is cleaner overall, and I'm eating healthier because I'm not making excuses to eat frozen/processed/take-out food anymore. Sure, I could also add a bad habit of eating junk, but it's not necessary, and it would just make me feel bad.

My dailies list is quite long as well, but again, it's only things I can reasonably expect myself to do every day. I only have them on here in case I start to get lazy over the summer, since I don't have to go to work.

Spoiler: My Dailies (click to show/hide)

Without these dailies, I'd degenerate over the summer. I'd never get out of my pajamas, might not even brush my teeth every day. I wouldn't get hardly any exercise, since all the work I do need to do is on the computer and for fun I prefer to play games on the computer.

Then, for everything else, I just make a to-do task right before I need to do it. I have standing tasks there for all the articles I need to write for the magazines. I've got the monthly book ones there waiting for the proper month. Then when I feel myself procrastinating about something (getting off the computer and making breakfast, for example), I add a to-do "Make Breakfast." Then, magically, it's very easy to get up and do that, because I know I'll get to check off the little boxes when I do.

That's how I use this, anyway. And it's working really well. Remember, you're not competing against other people. Don't worry about whether a "real" game would award you as much. Award yourself however much you need to in order for this to work as motivation. And if punishing yourself is demotivating you, get rid of all the stuff that's punishing you. Move your most difficult dailies to the habits column for a while. This should make you feel good, otherwise it's pointless.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:29 am »

o_o
PTW/Play

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh dear goodness xD

Joined up as myself. Same name as here. :)
...Huh, bad habits hmm?
. . .
Procrastinating? :/ I don't know when I do that.

Anyway, seems very nifty as something aside to check what was missed per day.
And here I was operating on memory. Yay checklist!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:02:16 am by Tiruin »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 02:03:23 am »

Don't worry about the bad habits, just give yourself points for the good ones!

Would anyone be interested in starting a DuoLingo challenge? I've got both German and Spanish on there and it's actually pretty helpful. I don't know how good it is for learning a language from scratch (I learned both of those languages previously), but I think it should be quite effective. And we can add each other as friends on the DuoLingo site and watch each other's progress.

I think I'll throw together some kind of exercise challenge today, but I'm hardly an expert. Maybe MaximumZero can help me design it? : ) It has to be general rather than specific, though, since not everyone can do all kinds of exercise (I can't do pushups because of my wrists, etc.).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:41 am »

Would anyone be interested in starting a DuoLingo challenge? I've got both German and Spanish on there and it's actually pretty helpful. I don't know how good it is for learning a language from scratch (I learned both of those languages previously), but I think it should be quite effective. And we can add each other as friends on the DuoLingo site and watch each other's progress.

I think I'll throw together some kind of exercise challenge today, but I'm hardly an expert. Maybe MaximumZero can help me design it? : ) It has to be general rather than specific, though, since not everyone can do all kinds of exercise (I can't do pushups because of my wrists, etc.)

I'd be down for a Duolingo challenge, and it is effective for learning from scratch.

I'd also be down for an exercise challenge.

And lastly, could I be added to the party, pretty please?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 02:20:38 am »

Yup. I think I've sent party invites to everyone who asked for them now. Remember, you have to check the party screen to see it, there is no notification.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 03:16:38 am »

Yup. I think I've sent party invites to everyone who asked for them now. Remember, you have to check the party screen to see it, there is no notification.
Can I party with ya? :3

Also...thanks Sappho for giving your own examples of habits. I've so many to track that I've just put em all (with many having no +/- xD).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31