Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Habit RPG  (Read 38119 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Habit RPG
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2014, 02:01:12 pm »

Good news, everyone! I've come up with a tentative plan.

Between my two jobs, I am utterly unable to to handle running a game for the time being. However, I've found a possible analog solution which might work for some of us. I've been playing with it today and it's working pretty well so far.

The idea is to build squares by completing tasks. I started with a square note pad (post-it-notes would work well, or any square paper). I divided the square into four smaller squares. From there, I cut some of them in half, and some of the halves I cut in half again (into strips). Like so:

I went for strips rather than smaller squares because they're easier to write on.

Easy tasks go on the smallest strips, followed by medium, then hard on the larger squares. Super-hard tasks can be twice that size. As they're completed, they're laid out to form squares. For now, I've set a rule for myself that each completed half-square buys me a session of video games, but you can set whatever rules you want for yourself. A full square is either 16 easy tasks, 8 medium tasks, or 4 hard tasks.

Now I'm thinking about possibilities for this. The squares could be used to make pictures, for example. You could take a picture (with blank white on the other side of the paper), cut it up into task papers, and flip them over to write the tasks on them. As you complete the tasks, you fill in the picture. The bonus here is that you could mix up the pieces and randomize which task is on which piece, leaving holes in your image that will push you to fill in the blank spaces in the image.

Another possibility is to treat the squares like pixels. Working together, we can build pictures with our completed squares. This would require some software, but I'm thinking it can be done very simply. If we start a Google Spreadsheet on Google Drive, set all the cells to be square-shaped, and add everyone as editors to the document, then whenever we finish a full square, we can go on the document and color one of the squares, anywhere on the sheet. It could become an interesting community artwork, as well. Since the sheets are basically infinite, anyone could just scroll off somewhere and create their own artwork (and I think we can agree to leave such things alone and not vandalize them), and then we can designate a large area as a community zone.

What do you guys think? How many people would be interested in a spreadsheet like this? Eventually I'd still like to do an RPG, but at the moment I just really don't have the time. Sorry about that. : / But eventually, for sure!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 02, 2015, 08:53:17 am »

Anyone still use the site? Logged in this morning to check it out and saw the Bay12 guild, but it seemed inactive.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2015, 02:00:57 pm »

Habit rpg is great
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2015, 02:01:55 pm »

After a certain point, it wasn't really motivating most of us. It was great for a while, but the UI and such became overwhelming.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2015, 02:08:00 pm »

The only thing I hate is if I miss a day it docks half my health
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #380 on: June 13, 2015, 09:56:31 am »

So I got an email today saying they've added a lot of things and made some changes. They claim that from now on, new gold sinks will be added on a regular basis, including new sets of equipment to buy. I've been in a bit of a rut lately, so I've decided to go back and give it another try. I definitely found it to be extremely motivating, right up until I ran out of things to work toward/buy, then it became nothing more than another idle game, earning points/gold for no reason. Hopefully they'll have fixed some of the issues they had with it. I'm cautiously optimistic. Anyone interested in joining me?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:55 am »

So I got an email today saying they've added a lot of things and made some changes. They claim that from now on, new gold sinks will be added on a regular basis, including new sets of equipment to buy. I've been in a bit of a rut lately, so I've decided to go back and give it another try. I definitely found it to be extremely motivating, right up until I ran out of things to work toward/buy, then it became nothing more than another idle game, earning points/gold for no reason. Hopefully they'll have fixed some of the issues they had with it. I'm cautiously optimistic. Anyone interested in joining me?
Sounds like a good idea. I need to do some studying for my exams, and Habit RPG might help motivate me.

Edit: I still hate that you can be killed by others' mistakes if you're in a party. You should either get debuffs or percentage-based HP reduction, so that you can't actually die unless you don't do one of your tasks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 10:12:33 am by Elephant Parade »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 13, 2015, 10:27:39 am »

Anyone interested in joining me?
I am :)
...While I get around poking anxiety stopping me from being 0% productive here though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #383 on: June 13, 2015, 10:43:29 am »

I also got that message. May as well, if I can remember to download the phone app.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2015, 11:04:29 am »

The party is still grouped from before, and I've got a couple of quests. Should we disband and start a new party with just the active people? I don't know if maybe some inactive people might have their dailies still going and hurting them. :/

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #385 on: June 13, 2015, 11:07:34 am »

I'm pretty sure anyone who cares will see this thread and ask to join the new party. I'd say go for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 13, 2015, 11:12:53 am »

I want to join the party!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #387 on: June 13, 2015, 11:16:11 am »

OK, anyone who wants in to the new party, I need your user ID. I'll start the quest in a day or so, to give people time to join.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2015, 11:34:21 am »

I got the same name there as now.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:14 am »

I am, as almost always, Arx.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31