Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding someone in a hamlet (and general map help needed)  (Read 2796 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding someone in a hamlet (and general map help needed)
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:55:56 am »

I have spent six days with two adventurers looking for a bandit whose gang is terrorizing a small hamlet. I have killed several of his lieutenants and such, which has somehow led to people asking for help hating me and spitting on me. Whenever I try to ask about the whereabouts of the bandit leader, all I get is that he's in Tattooed Hills, which is a huge town that I have tried searching in vain. Is there a way to get more accurate information than his area code?

Also, what exactly do grey asterisks on the map mean? Apparently they're squads of wandering soldiers, sometimes bandits, and in two cases a night creature. Are they quest targets or just any travelers whatsoever?

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding someone in a hamlet (and general map help needed)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:16:02 am »

Sometimes, you get "detailed description", which pinpoints the place on map.

Sometimes people tell you "search first house north of here", or stuff like that. But most of the time the person you are looking for just shoots an arrow at you, announcing himself well enough.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

The W axis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:23 am »

Have you tried asking locals in Tattooed Hills? Talk to one of them, select "Bring up specific incident or rumor" and see if you have an option there that concerns something the bandit did just recently. You might get a description of where in the town it happened, zero in on the location and either run into him or try to use tracking.
I killed several of them and it hasn't made a difference, I will try killing more to see if that fixes the problem

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

Yes, but they still only point to the local area that I'm already in.

The W axis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:47:27 am »

What sort of question options are you given when you try to bring him up in conversation?
I killed several of them and it hasn't made a difference, I will try killing more to see if that fixes the problem

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:09:47 am »

Yes, but they still only point to the local area that I'm already in.

I do remember that one time when I asked somebody in a town where someone is, they specifically led me to a temple in a town, so they can be specific.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 11:33:38 am »

I have found conversation triangulation to be the soundest way--I haven't chased down a bro like the one you're describing, but as a general rule:

--:(When asked for whereabouts of person):  "Why, we're in X right now; he must be around here somewhere"
Means they're in the same building, or live there and are not present--time traveling a few tiles away and coming back.

--:(When asked for whereabouts of person):  "We're in X, try first the (cottage\tavern\whatever) to the [CardinaLDirection]."
This is your main means of triangulation; figure out the fastest way to bring up this cause you'll need to use it like three times at least.

Fivegive me if this is ignorance on my part, but I believe unless he's in the Keep proper cause he's taken control he'll be out in a lair--again haven't taken down a bro quite like this before.  If so, if you can find out the name of the Site hit Q(Log) and find it under the Sites tab.

If you're in the street and they're giving you response 1, it probably means he hangs out in the streets...  I'd say kill his men until he comes to challenge you, and it seems like bandits own towns etc so maybe even though they're programmed to want the removal of bandits the townspeople are chummy with them\have intermarried over the decades so you're killing both their oppressors and their cousins.

EDIT: to clarify, don't use the rumors\incidents tree to do this--that'll give you their map location, not local coordinates.  You're going to want to ask for directions to that person, which can be done via the directions menu or asking after troubles and managing to bring him up under bandits\criminals.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:35:28 am by Azrayel »
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:02 am »

If you have points in tracking, you can track by smell on the world map, and then find footprint and other signs of a trail on the local map. Finding things by tracking them makes things a lot easier. But unless you start with points in it, you don't usually pick anything up but your own prints.