Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now I REALLY know why I fear the night...  (Read 1834 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Now I REALLY know why I fear the night...
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:07 am »

Seriously, night creatures seem to have benefited a great deal from the new changes to combat.
I understand now just why every settlement I've visited in the new version has been living in fear of them... finally encountered one (as a 'group' on the travel map) and it tore apart my companion and then, when I tried to sneak up and headstab it, it turned around and charged at me.
It had several moves for every one of mine, and ended up pulping my hand with its first punch... followed by my head.

Time to get together a bigger, better-equipped group and try again, I guess.
Anyone else finding night creatures a lot tougher than they were previously?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
Re: Now I REALLY know why I fear the night...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:05:18 am »

Yeah it was weird the first night creature I met, we basically ambushed in his lair. He was just like "What is going on? A battle?!". I cut his head off. The second night creature I met was a wrestler who murdered each member of my group one by one and try as I might I only managed to get a single hit in before he smashed my sword arm. I felt helpless. 

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:12:37 am »

The first one I met was killed instantly with a bolt to the face by my companion

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:17:48 am »

The first one I met was killed instantly with a bolt to the face by my companion

Ranged weapons always tend to cause miracles/bullshit
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:55:44 am »

It's quite realistic when you consider the fact that a crossbow bolt could penetrate an armored knight AND his shield. Crossbows were banned by the Pope for a reason.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:19:41 am »

I don't mind much being one shotted by a bow. Imagine how all those bandits felt when you slew them by throwing blood and loose change.
My first night creature was actually a night troll I wandered upon on my way to a dark fortress. I got lucky and severed his spine on my first strike, forcing him to drop his cleaver. Even after that he was insanely fast, tough skinned, and covered me in push bruises before I managed to bleed him out. Even managed to bruise my heart.
If he weren't paralyzed AND on the ground, he probably would have cleaved me in half.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:04:54 am »

It's quite realistic when you consider the fact that a crossbow bolt could penetrate an armored knight AND his shield. Crossbows were banned by the Pope for a reason.

Xbow can penetrate armor but the damaging effect to wearer is negligible. Lots of test on youtube.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:08 am »

Night creatures are insanely hard to hit now. They were hard to hit before, but now it feels like you need all the help you can get. I've been sleeping in Dwarf hillocks and Night Creature attacks have been triggered while I'm inside. Basically the only reason I can hurt them half the time is because they're too busy punching/chewing on a dwarf, so I get a slight advantage when they're recovering from attacks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:47 am »

A hand crossbow couldnt do that unless you were point blank, though. And it sure as fuck would not penetrate a steel shield. -.-

Mythbusters and Deadliest Warrior have both done a few episodes showing the effectiveness of various crossbows. They were not even stronger than a long bow most of the time.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:26:07 am »

Party died to goblins - sleeping alone in the woods - woke up with boogyman foot in my pulped brain. Brilliant end to a legendary hero.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:39:32 am »

Mythbusters and Deadliest Warrior have both done a few episodes showing the effectiveness of various crossbows. They were not even stronger than a long bow most of the time.

Longbows shot through plate just fine, though.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:34 am »

In the world I am playing the roam the wilderness in packs. They move too fast and have a lot of attacks. If it was not for the bug tht make enemies passive, it would be impossible to kill them.