Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flight mode engaged?  (Read 882 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flight mode engaged?
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:19 pm »

I haven't quite worked out what's going on, but I've noticed in a recent Dark Fortress that I was clearing (with your usual inevitably passive goblins), things started flying left and right.

Goblins that I killed would have their parts fly all over. These parts would slam into other goblins, causing them to take flight.

My axe was stuck in a goblin, along with my teeth. When I tried to move, I instead flew across the floor, bruising my heart in the process (and surviving, thanks to passive goblins not wanting to kill a mass-murdering dwarf).

Can anyone confirm random objects flying through the air as a consequence of chopping things up or killing things?

If it helps, I am doing this in reasonably close quarters with a lot of people around, sometimes up and down stairs.

It's also amusing to see the goblins scurry about trying to avoid their fallen comrades limbs.

It is... inevitable

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flight mode engaged?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:46:44 pm »

I haven't quite worked out what's going on, but I've noticed in a recent Dark Fortress that I was clearing (with your usual inevitably passive goblins), things started flying left and right.

Goblins that I killed would have their parts fly all over. These parts would slam into other goblins, causing them to take flight.

My axe was stuck in a goblin, along with my teeth. When I tried to move, I instead flew across the floor, bruising my heart in the process (and surviving, thanks to passive goblins not wanting to kill a mass-murdering dwarf).

Can anyone confirm random objects flying through the air as a consequence of chopping things up or killing things?

If it helps, I am doing this in reasonably close quarters with a lot of people around, sometimes up and down stairs.

It's also amusing to see the goblins scurry about trying to avoid their fallen comrades limbs.

It is... inevitable
I do know that sometimes parts can sail a bit when being cut off of living beings, but i've never seen them hit characters.
and it seems that in 40.01, when many people get in really tight quarters I have noticed that people do seem to randomly start jumping and tumbling, which leads to alot of slamming around.
Though why you randomly went flying, I don't know.
If you can recall or give us anything you think might be related in the announcement log...
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »

A later case had a goblin slam into another goblin, who then slammed into me.

That apparently sent me flying.

It also seems to happen more often when the goblins are holding onto their walls.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:05:09 pm »

When I was in a underground dwarven fort there was some dwarves beating the baron and baroness, so I joined in. When I gave this miller a few swift kicks to the lower body it somehow ended being gored. Everyone else in the room ended up flying into each other and walls.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:21 pm »

I had a goblin jump to his death off a tower I was attacking.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:01 pm »

If you (j)ump at people you turn into a projectile and then hit them, causing you to stop and them to go flying backwards. It is much better than "charging" because you can knock people through fortifications and off towers without opening combat.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:04:05 pm »

If you (j)ump at people you turn into a projectile and then hit them, causing you to stop and them to go flying backwards. It is much better than "charging" because you can knock people through fortifications and off towers without opening combat.

People are normally pretty good at dodging that though, and if your on a tree or something, missing could be deadly.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.