Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Players "Why are you Hooked?"  (Read 2252 times)

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
New Players "Why are you Hooked?"
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:47:27 pm »

Hello GF world,
I wanted to bring the forums some new player area that we “New players” can talk about the game in general or get quick help with some issues in game.
I wanted to say how in the hack I missed this game all these years... And I’m talking 1975+ when I started playing word games “Adventure” on the IBM computer in DOS 1.0. I can call myself a gamer, I tried all types of games, played D&D since 1979, and anything new I but I missed this one.  I know there is currently an ongoing discussion about “QQ why isn’t this game like the old game” but I don’t want to not focus on the “QQ” but instead why I am hooked on this game.
I’m am speechless on the amount of thought that went into this game. The history aspect, community/town growth, and the general building up your creative ideas on how you would like your fort/town/city/castle. I am confused about the game play and the moving around part since I only started this game on 7/1/2014 but working through the concept and understanding what I need to do. I’m also amassed on the quick responses I got when posting on forums … * Bow to all that helped.
Currently, I’m using the 2012 + dwarf Therapist and Phoebus_ 16x16 map because I cannot handle the ASCII. I tried but I found myself struggling to find out what everything was for hours and not really playing the game. After changing over to Phoebus map I’m rolling along learning at a much faster pace. Everyone has their preferences but I can say I gave it a shot   .
This goes out to all you “New guys/ladies” (or experienced Players) why did you start playing, what made you choose this game, and why are you hooked like me?
Thanks,
Blackravenx!

PS> Lets attach your new players fortress and talk about it :)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Players "Why are you Hooked?"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »

At this point I don't count as "new" anymore, since I've been at this for a few months now, know tons of stuff, and even have my own mod (it's in its infancy, but still). However, I can say that the things that kept me playing?
The insanity, the difficulty, and how (relatively, compared to other games) easy it is to change things.
Yes, the modding was a hook.
Unlike most other games, where the content is closed-source, DF keeps the majority of its content outside the inner workings.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:28 pm »

COOL! once I get more into game i'll start creating mods. But for now too having too much fun playing normally ;)

Richard190

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:23:31 pm »

The difficulty and how fun (and annoying sometimes) it is to loose and the gigantic amount of details are the things that has me hooked to this amazing game. Just now I started a new game, again, got distracted for a minute and all my dwarfs were killed by an alligator...

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:05:31 pm »

HAHHA Oh noes! That's great! start on playing but will make it easier to manage dwarfs :P. Now back to my world and see what I can build. Would be nice to know how to attach images to this so I can show you all my build.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:06:32 pm »

[...] I’m using the 2012 + dwarf Therapist and Phoebus_ 16x16 map because I cannot handle the ASCII [...]

Welcome!  Are you playing Fortress mode only, or have you tried Adventure mode, too?

It sounds like you are hooked on the rich detail of the world in DF (and the ability to interact in many ways).  Correct?  I think, in short, that's what got me hooked on the game.

A minor note: DF uses CP437, not ASCII :)

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 10:51:49 pm »

Well I'm not new by now, but I was hooked by DF because of the complexity of it. I wanted to discover its secrets and the more I found out, the more I was amazed at the amount of features. So it kept me through to where I'm experienced in basically all areas of it now.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:58:20 pm »

I am playing only fortress mode right now and loving it.. got 38 dwarfs lol fun stuff

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:03:24 pm »

I am still fairly new, I got into because I was describing a dream game to a classmate way back and he brought it up. Tried it out, couldn't deal with the ASCII. Couple years later got into it again wasn't up to the learning curve at the time. Last November or so I picked it up again and finally really got into it. Toady has managed to make or at least almost make my dream game.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:48 am »

I really enjoy this game because I am in control of everything .. so far the fortress is looking good got rooms, crafting areas, and they having babies. I would like to get into creation of military because I am now seeing signs of Kobolds around and I'm still trying to bang sticks together and fish. So far most of the happiness is Yellow but they are asking for more items I haven't found yet like gems and such. The only issues even though I added the job function to "do this" they tend to like to just fish away. I will work more on the assignment of the jobs because I love the spreadsheet for doing this. They should have build the job assignment easier in game so you wouldn't have to result to another thing but I know everything takes time. Would also love to see like a family tree aspect of the game where you can arrange marriages etc... I know there are more new players out there tell us your thoughts, wants, etc

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »

At this point I don't count as "new" anymore, since I've been at this for a few months now, know tons of stuff, and even have my own mod (it's in its infancy, but still). However, I can say that the things that kept me playing?
The insanity, the difficulty, and how (relatively, compared to other games) easy it is to change things.
Unlike most other games, where the content is closed-source, DF keeps the majority of its content outside the inner workings.
Despite me having been here for two years, I consider the two of us on the same level. We're both fairly successful modders and we've both had our share of overseerships.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 03:20:48 pm »

In a word: Mods.

As deep as vanilla DF is, it wouldn't hold my interest for more than two weeks if I wasn't able to edit the game and see just how far I could stretch the rules to turn DF into something almost entirely other than what it originally was.  It has the appeal touched on by other so-called 'creative' titles like Spore, one of my favorite non-indie games, but those ultimately feel like you're just putting your characters into an archetype already planned by the game's creators and most of the changes are ultimately cosmetic.  Modding DF lets you create new creatures with body structures that are actually functionally different and pit them against each other, lets you create actual new civilizations with their own unique sets of ethics and see how they interact in a world together, and overall lets you create worlds that the original programmer never expected or even intended.  So what if it breaks if you mod the wrong thing in?  The fact that the system is flexible enough that you're able to bend it to the breaking point is what makes it fun.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:48 pm »

I agree with you all about the moding aspect and how it grows apon the game more then hurt it. Yes you have those who will abuse the system and put in dwarfs with Light sabers and portal guns but this is for those who love the root game and increase the "fun". I know this questions must be on the other forums but asking it anyhow :) lol... What moding tools are used to mod this game? I have had my fun with doing mods before but I also have a lot of cool ideas once I learn this game that I would add them into game.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

I REALLY don't qualify as new, but what got me hooked, was the awesome. The game is just fun. And when I looked into the Legends mode thing and saw the Empire of Splashing, I fell in love. But the part I REALLY loved was how well the game lent itself to creative interpretation. I could SEE the valiant charge of the dwarven militia against overwhelming odds or the undead roaming through the abandoned halls of the fortress. And it was good.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:48 pm »

Despite me having been here for two years, I consider the two of us on the same level. We're both fairly successful modders and we've both had our share of overseerships.
I guess it helps I'm a fast learner - it took me mere hours to learn the basics of fort mode and less than a half hour to learn adventure mode, and about an hour for modding.
I learn FAST.
Other games take me mere minutes.
Pages: [1] 2