Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Guilt Intended?  (Read 1921 times)

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is Guilt Intended?
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:07:43 pm »

Alright, so I was running through Adventure Mode and decided to go on a rampage to see how people would react. I killed roughly over 20 people (people surprisingly don't fight back as much as they did in the previous version). After becoming the lord of this one area, I retired to play another character. I went back to my murderous character and found all sorts of weird things and I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing this or if this was intended.

My character's talking to himself about all the people he has killed and is moving on his own. Is insanity a part of the game now, where guilt is poking away at my Human adventurer? I find it really odd because he seems to be flying randomly as well, sometimes even falling into the ground. I don't know the logic behind it, though. I can fix it by fast travelling but is this intended? Has anybody else run into this?

EDIT: My character's saying "Death ... this is truly horrifying" and "x is really dead. It is done" or something along those lines. It's annoying but it feels like it makes sense from a psychological perspective...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:10:54 pm by Lockem Shoto »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Is Guilt Intended?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:00 pm »

This is probably unintended.

It can be explained by your character going insane.
._.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »

It can be explained by your character going insane.
Nobody said ARMOK's duty was an easy burden for the mortal mind.

oh_no

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »

There is a bug with replicating retired characters.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »

Sanity is really dead. It is done.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:08 pm »

I have had one of my companions go into a state of constant terror/sorrow (flashing blue !) after seeing a camp of bandits murder each other while we assassinated the warlord. I had to let him go because he ran from all fights. Also I noted my character crying after cleaving a vampire blowgunner in two outside the castle gates.   
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »

If the OP looks at himself, he will see that he coexists with an AI clone. Known bug after unretiring.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:13:37 pm »

It is sad but not unexpected.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:45:20 am »

Sanity is really dead. It is done.

Sanity? In MY Dwarf Fortress?

I havent seen this yet so you just retire one dude and then go visit him with another i must try this.

and yeah civies have low morale so they just freak out and run away mostly and the ones who do fight do very poorly. Also bleeding out takes forever.

I have had one of my companions go into a state of constant terror/sorrow (flashing blue !) after seeing a camp of bandits murder each other while we assassinated the warlord. I had to let him go because he ran from all fights. Also I noted my character crying after cleaving a vampire blowgunner in two outside the castle gates.

Blue !s mean panic. like morale failure and they are going to mostly run and freak out. You see everyone in a town pop one when you roll in and start slaughtering. How do you notice someone cry? i never have.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:47:42 am by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:21:34 am »

OK... if you killed all the people in the town you started in then you may have killed a lot of your characters friends, people he or she knew since childhood...
if you dig around there is a record of people you knew before you started adventuring.
The game uses the two weeks of world gen to slot you into the world.
Basically from the Character's point of view he was living in his home town, with people he knew for years, then he just started killing people like he was possessed or something.
Then the spirit left him... surrounded by the corpses of friends and family... two weeks pass, during which he has a normal mind and all the grief of all those murders hits him at once.

We are the demons.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:10 am »

It is terrifying.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Sylveadiff

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Diplomat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:23 am »

It is Terrific! (And now I know why my sasquatch-killing elf is sad)
"I just wanted to eat the yummy"~Glass, Pantheon RPG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »

How do you notice someone cry? i never have.

Press 'l'. Look at yourself, view the description 'v".

Seems all adventurers are crying constantly, as their tear stains are ever present and no amount of drinking them will make them stop.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »

Seems all adventurers are crying constantly, as their tear stains are ever present and no amount of drinking them will make them stop.
It is because previous owners of adventurer bodies still can see what you do while possessing body.

And they can only cry.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 05:24:22 pm »

I just like to think that I got a little bit of gore in my eye, and that's why I am tearing up.

But when you start, you should look in your (Q)uest log entry for (p)eople; so you don't kill your own brother or something accidentally. Sometimes I run into people I know really far away from where I started. It's pretty crazy how big the list of people your character knows can be. Sometimes it's 1 or 2 people, other times it's a couple pages long right at the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:26:09 pm by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »