Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gaining fame?  (Read 1129 times)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gaining fame?
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:20 pm »

How do I go about spreading rumours about my deeds? Do I have to discuss them through the rumour conversation option for every single kill? Do I have to leave witnesses to the events?
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaining fame?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »

The way it works right now is that once somebody finds that somebody else is dead, the entire civ, or maybe even the entire world will know it instantly, though I don't know if they'll know who killed the dead person or not.
I know that if you kill somebody that someone near you knows/liked, they'll probably like you less (infamy, if we want to stick to the "fame" theme). In-fact, I've had companions that'll start spitting at me a calling me a murderer in the middle of wilderness, soon after somebody probably found a body.
It's probably the same way for killing people that others hate, but I've not seen enough to confirm this.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »

The way it works right now is that once somebody finds that somebody else is dead, the entire civ, or maybe even the entire world will know it instantly, though I don't know if they'll know who killed the dead person or not.
I know that if you kill somebody that someone near you knows/liked, they'll probably like you less (infamy, if we want to stick to the "fame" theme). In-fact, I've had companions that'll start spitting at me a calling me a murderer in the middle of wilderness, soon after somebody probably found a body.
It's probably the same way for killing people that others hate, but I've not seen enough to confirm this.

Actually the way it works is that it doesn't.

No one gives a shit about anything, and even after mentioning you killed something, they ask you to kill it.

It *should* work as you describe, but bugs.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually the way it works is that it doesn't.

No one gives a shit about anything, and even after mentioning you killed something, they ask you to kill it.

It *should* work as you describe, but bugs.

Just because they keep asking you to kill something that is dead, doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know its dead, you ever asked about the where the thing you killed is after killing it? They could say something along the lines of "Night-Creature McDwarfbeater is dead" (Purely a theory, though, I normally just end up experimenting with murdering people near my spawn, killing friendlies more so then enemies)
I've also never told somebody that somebody is dead and had them react, or anyone else around them react to it the way they would if they SAW that the somebody was dead. So i think that somebody actually has to witness the murder in order to "transmit" the message to everyone in their civ/group (what you said proves it's not world-wide).

Though I've not tried butchering my kill and showing my "quest-giver" my evidence yet, they might react how I theorize.

Basically I Think the only thing holding back the system working is the rumor system may not be the best right now.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:51:18 pm »

doublepost
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:58:48 pm by RealFear »