Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Favourite new features  (Read 9691 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite new features
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 06:39:18 pm »

I've even made doorways of three tiles by building the first door surrounded by walls, then removing those walls and putting two more doors to the sides of the first door...in 34.11.

On topic, I like the new death trap potential with the new climbing and jumping abilities.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2014, 06:45:08 pm »

You could do that before.
You are right, I tested this. How could i miss this :o? I remember, that I made some obscure constructions last version to get two adjacent doors.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:40 am »

Actually, I changed my mind - I like how you now can butcher sentient creatures (at least in adventure mode).  Mmm...elf meat.   :D

Then again, that may be a bug, and not a feature.  Probably a bug, as before you had to be starving to butcher sentients.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »

Actually, I changed my mind - I like how you now can butcher sentient creatures (at least in adventure mode).  Mmm...elf meat.   :D

You are what you eat...

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »

Trees due because of the proper scale and how much wood they yield compared to their predecessors. It's nice to be able to start smelting, forging, and woodcrafting things with much less constraint compared to 34.11, where a minor smelting and forging operation meant clearing out 2/3s of the forest nearby for charcoal just so you could properly equip your militia. Or, you know, having to deal with the elven caravan (and their ethics) since they carry wood...

Starwing

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »

The fact world has started to "live" after world gen and is no longer frozen in time is my favorite feature.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »

MOAR TREES! Seriously, trees are yielding an un-armok-ly  large mount of wood. Really helps with building projects.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »

The wood from tress are kind if unbalanced yet. Not my favourite new feature.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2014, 01:35:52 am »

The problem of them growing freakishly fast will be resolved next version at least.  Still, as stunning as the new trees are, the amount of logs large trees give is pretty OP.  Toady does say, it's meant to be bountiful at first, but harder to get the ancient growths back, but my forts never last more than 10 years in 34.11, let alone the new version so :/  It's at least easy to mod harder trees by reducing their height and trunk width.

Speaking of which, the elven diplomats in the next version would have to impose stricter tree-cutting quotas.

Dyrxaend

• Bay Watcher
  • Crystal blades and Scaled plate, Razors of Dawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2014, 02:33:50 am »

Honestly? I kinda prefer it to be overpowered as it is. I have enough things to worry about without running out of wood. Just one less thing to murder me, in my opinion.
Scales and fangs, Cydaela and blade, Crystal and fire! March, Kizaurun! March to glory and to vengeance! March for the Razors of Dawn!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2014, 03:44:14 am »

I think the ammount of logs is more realistic now. However the time to get this ammount is too fast. I think the wood should be processed into logs before you could use them.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »

"It was inevitable."
New conversations is pretty neat if a bit clunky. But I'm probably most impressed by things actually moving around you. Haven't done any forts yet though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

condonzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 03:28:29 pm »

The new trees mean that your fortress's metal industry isn't likely to grind to a halt as long as your decently careful. That's a big deal in my book! In the previous version unless I had a ton of coal I had to treat wood carefully, since every log had to count. Now I understand preferring that for the difficulty, I think that WOOD shouldn't be a rare resource!

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 06:00:23 pm »

obsidian weapons being viable weapons now is nice thanks to the change to it's raws (it now has proper yield and sheer values) allowing these weapons to actually be able to cut flesh now when before it wouldn't.

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:30 am »

Agreed with condonzack about trees.
They give a whole new perception of the scale of things. And forests are actually forests now. :)
It makes sense that you don't have to cut down a whole forest just to to build a wooden wall around your fortress (also makes MUCH more sense that wooden walls are actually easier to construct early-on now than rock block walls.)
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6