Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Not impressed  (Read 10265 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Not impressed
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 01:59:49 pm »

That is sad but not unexpected. The same could be said of the early .34 and .31 versions. The overhaul will show its true potential after the bugfixes.

This +1000.

The problem is that many of the new implemented features aren't working right because they're bugged, it makes the wrong impression on what has been done.
In a couple of months when the bug level will come under control, we will have hopefully those new features working as they should and the game will shine to its true potential.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:06 pm »

In a couple of months when the bug level will come under control, we will have hopefully those new features working as they should and the game will shine to its true potential.
And if he has to spend more time modding threads like this, then that date will only get further away.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »

The new combat is a great improvement over the previous combat system, what with manual dodging (wow strategy) and multi-attacks being an actual thing.

Although there seems to be a problem with pain being far too strong this version, because everything human faints the moment they get their bones whacked.
which is rather impractical since that means whatever fainted (including you) will soon suffer a cranial explosion.

oh_no

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 02:34:11 pm »

This is basically the first version of what will eventually be Dwarf Fortress. The living world was the whole point. Honestly, I think of all of the versions before this as demos at best. The preliminary work for this update, which is itself the foundation of what the game is supposed to be. Now that all of that preliminary work is done and all of the basic systems are in place, Toady can start filling them out and make the things that happen in the world actually matter in later releases. If you absolutely must have 1.0 with all of its features fully fleshed out and most of the bugs fixed, then I'd personally advise going off and doing something else for the next decade or so. I'm sure you'd have more fun keeping your perspective and enjoying the opportunity to be a volunteer alpha tester for one of the most ambitious projects in game design ever though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:39:19 pm by Uristsonsonson »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:51 pm »

That is sad but not unexpected. The same could be said of the early .34 and .31 versions. The overhaul will show its true potential after the bugfixes.

This +1000.

The problem is that many of the new implemented features aren't working right because they're bugged, it makes the wrong impression on what has been done.
+1000 more.

Toady set the groundwork for many great things to come with this release.  To the OP: would you rather Toady have never implemented a world that continues into gameplay?  Stuck with worlds that eventually die out?  Realize that this would prevent most of the future updates.  Would you rather all of the bugs in .34 been squished and the game stay that way?  It's not a problem if you do, but it isn't going to happen because, in the end, this is Toady's game, not yours or mine or anyone else's.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 02:54:51 pm »

If this game had a development team this kind of content would be pushed out in a month maybe two, but since its just one guy working on it I guess this is what I should expect - every 2 years minor tweaks/updates.
If this game had a development team you'd be lucky to have just the 2d version complete with no adventure mode in sight. This would take 2 years to program. (that's not even 10% of DF's content) If you don't believe me go and look at the myriad of DF clones on the market.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »

If this game had a development team this kind of content would be pushed out in a month maybe two, but since its just one guy working on it I guess this is what I should expect - every 2 years minor tweaks/updates.
If this game had a development team you'd be lucky to have just the 2d version complete with no adventure mode in sight. This would take 2 years to program. (that's not even 10% of DF's content) If you don't believe me go and look at the myriad of DF clones on the market.

Yeah, thinking that programming will go faster by adding programmers is like thinking that pregnancy will go faster by adding more women.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 03:15:14 pm »

We have waited two years anxiously for this update and now it has finally come. It was the "adventure mode update" I was looking forward to. So far it seems lacking with only a couple new features - jumping, climbing, sneaking, dialogue, progressive history, combat, trees. All of these aren't really major additions and some are minor re-works of existing functions. Some other cons:

Bolded for reference.  I don't think you understand the scope of the progressive history part.  Even the most polished mainstream sandbox games don't have a progressive history, and a real sense of meaningful time.  Things load by cells, and the world stops existing outside of these cells.  Getting a world that exists, functions, and manages indifferent to the player is truly amazing.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:27 pm »

I like how you presume these changes are just "minor tweaks" as if you think Toady simply codes one day a week for an hour a day or something...

in programming work done =/= work seen

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 03:18:11 pm »

I removed some posts.  I'd appreciate it if people could go through the release period with their chill intact.

Sometimes the people who deny the chill are the ones that need to chill the most.

And to OP; geeze man. This was barely released; all the features and bug-fixes aren't even implemented yet. You should play an older version and come back in about a week~month when everything else for the update is put in. IMO this is a huge update and I don't understand how it's "lacking" - .34 adventure mode is what seems lacking after running around in this update.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 03:52:07 pm »

I don't know what the OP is complaining about. I haven't even tried the new version myself yet, but already just reading about what people are finding out is super exciting. I'm waiting until a more stable version is released before jumping over myself, but I already can't wait to see how some of the new stuff changes the way we play. In particular creatures reacting to violent death and what hilarious shenanigans that would lead to during siege battles.
Plus, we are one step closer to a more real, breathing, and real-time world.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »

I don't understand how can anyone fail to appreciate pointless dialogue. I find it gives the game almost lyrical feeling, when playing, I imagine my character is surrounded by zen masters, stoically commenting the absurd events of the world with puzzling remarks, full of hidden meanings.

There are enough scripted games full of simple archetypes and cheap drama. However, a bandit leader frightened of himself who climbs onto the highest tree in a futile attempt to flee from himself, finally losing grasp and falling to his death, that is very Kafka-esque and deeply poetic.

I wish somebody made an old-looking, black and white silent movie depicting this event, with large texts instead of speech.

This is too long to sig, but I would if I could.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »

I don't know what the OP is complaining about. I haven't even tried the new version myself yet, but already just reading about what people are finding out is super exciting. I'm waiting until a more stable version is released before jumping over myself, but I already can't wait to see how some of the new stuff changes the way we play. In particular creatures reacting to violent death and what hilarious shenanigans that would lead to during siege battles.
Plus, we are one step closer to a more real, breathing, and real-time world.

I'd download it and play some bite-sized adventure games on a pocket world (Don't even try to go over "small" world size).
Most of the changes are adventure mode focused, and you aren't gonna get too invested in a adventurer.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 11:55:39 pm »

I don't understand how can anyone fail to appreciate pointless dialogue. I find it gives the game almost lyrical feeling, when playing, I imagine my character is surrounded by zen masters, stoically commenting the absurd events of the world with puzzling remarks, full of hidden meanings.

There are enough scripted games full of simple archetypes and cheap drama. However, a bandit leader frightened of himself who climbs onto the highest tree in a futile attempt to flee from himself, finally losing grasp and falling to his death, that is very Kafka-esque and deeply poetic.

I wish somebody made an old-looking, black and white silent movie depicting this event, with large texts instead of speech.

This is too long to sig, but I would if I could.

Ever heard of Sigtext?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

veantur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 07:43:15 am »

Hello Op
if you not impressed with toadys work delete DF and go troll somewhere else.

Greetings

Veantur
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:47:09 am by veantur »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5