Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Not impressed  (Read 10262 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Not impressed
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 08:33:42 am »

Im impressed with it personally. I guess it depends on your expectations of a single programmer.

The thing with DF is, always a lot of the changes are hidden from immediate view. So i know that goblins can attack earlier than they used too and i read that its no longer die roll based, but i don't know how much code it took to achieve this.

DF is the wrong game for you to follow if you are expecting up front immediately visible changes with each release.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:47 am »

Eh, I'm impressed. You shouldn't expect stuff like "New item with unique effect! New monsters! New playable character! New level!" like you would with Binding of Isaac or some other games where the developer usually adds a lot of content in updates. I love the fact that time now passes, that was biggest problem with old versions to me, world just stopped being alive after world creation...

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »

Yeah, thinking that programming will go faster by adding programmers is like thinking that pregnancy will go faster by adding more women.
It wouldn't go faster, but we will get more babies at one time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 02:08:13 pm »

Yeah, thinking that programming will go faster by adding programmers is like thinking that pregnancy will go faster by adding more women.

Yes, but the babies will be half-siblings at best.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:22 pm »

I think that this simile has gone a bit too far. It is terrifying.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »

Still better than just one baby.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 02:23:18 pm »

Erm... not sure about that one. Let me check population statistics. Nope. Quality over quantity.

Besides, play mods. It's like the baby getting dressed up in a bunch of different outfits. WAY better than an extra baby. Everyone wins.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 02:43:40 pm »

Not really, since the babies will be more unrelated than might be expected and might not play well together.

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »

Not really, since the babies will be more unrelated than might be expected and might not play well together.
This can happen in all cases, related and unrelated. Brothers can hate one another and strangers can become best friends.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:49 pm »

Or not. Medical science can make wonders. Take nine ovules from one women, fertilize, implant in nine women. Done.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:37 pm »

At best? At worst! Half-siblings are pretty much perfect: Closely related enough that supporting your immediate community becomes genetically favourable; remotely related enough that further interbreeding isn't hilariously and immediately deleterious.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »

Not immediately deleterious, but still rather creepy. Eww.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 03:30:16 pm »

Not immediately deleterious, but still rather creepy. Eww.

Well, "creepy" is an incredibly social thing.

Sure, you're conditioned to find half-sibling-half-sibling relationships to be creepy; but your social conditioning does not determine what is ultimately objectively problematic.

(As a side note; repeated and aggressive half-sibling-half-sibling interbreeding is objectively problematic; just as first-cousin interbreeding is; but by and large it's pretty self-moderating.)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »

Through a personal example, half-siblings seem to get along way, way less than siblings who share both parents.

Aaaanyyywaayyys,
I haven't replied to the OP, so here goes:
4 arguments, second two are bugs. That is inevitable.

First argument: That pointless dialogue adds way more depth. Especially once it all gets used. It feels like the world IS alive. Like the random people talking to eachother in Skyrim, except way more real and less predetermined. It's terrific! You can always skip it and stay with the ones that have more direct functions.

Second argument: I believe that's also, at least partly, a bug. Especially with the quantum stockpiling units. Optimisations and bugfixes will come and it'll all be better. Besides, what seems like a "quest" is in fact just rumours. People talk about what's happening! "At least it rarely rains here"; "Someone recently saved us from Crundles!"; "I hate myself". The answers will vary, but for now personalities/values/whatever aren't diverse enough (rushed release) to get more answers than It's terifying or It is inevitable.

There. Now I can sleep in peace. It's for the best.

About the community; It's terrifying. A conversation about number of programmers affecting the programme's development turns into a conversation about half-sibling-half-sibling relations, relationships and interbreeding.
I'd say I'm surprised, but not that much, only when I think of the jumps needed. While reading it was all... logical. It was inevitable, considering you people.
Definitely best forums I know, when people can keep their cool.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »

About the community; It's terrifying. A conversation about number of programmers affecting the programme's development turns into a conversation about half-sibling-half-sibling relations, relationships and interbreeding.
I'd say I'm surprised, but not that much, only when I think of the jumps needed. While reading it was all... logical. It was inevitable, considering you people.
Definitely best forums I know, when people can keep their cool.
It was inevitable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5